Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

we need more quality than he will ever have...

You could say that about most of our players at the moment.

As a squad player at the right price he'd be useful.

Definitely agree with your first sentence. If we are buying squad players then they should be young so maybe we get a resale value IMO.

Definitely agree with your first sentence. If we are buying squad players then they should be young so maybe we get a resale value IMO.

Well yes, but I'd have him around for the same reason Lambo brought Holt here for, his experience and influence, especially with lads like Grealish, with the added bonus that he's still pretty decent and can remember where the net is!!

As I said, all at the right price though.

Right price; lets say him and Kiyotake in this narrow formation Lambert likes to play. With them two(or someone better than Kiyotake) it might work…ok Im in the maybe camp now.

Why buy Hoolahan when we have Grealish?

Because he has 0 games for Aston Villa, few of us have ever seen him and he's hardly known as the next Adnan Januzaj or Raheem Sterling? I always hope our Youth players are going to develop into Premier League-players we don't have to buy, but if we fielded players like Gardner, Grealish, Johnson and Carruthers et al at the same time it would be a fast-track to relegation.

Over the last 10 years, how many of our Youth players have developed into mediocre or better Premier League-players?

I can think of Agbonlahor, Weimann, Cahill (although he developed his real ability elsewhere) and perhaps Craig Gardner right now, I guess there are a few more, but it's not like we are producing like La Masia. Gareth Barry came from Brighton, don't quite remember how old he was at the time. We have players like Nathan Baker, but he is nowhere near being a mediocre PL player in my eyes, he shouldn't play in this league yet.

Because he has 0 games for Aston Villa, few of us have ever seen him and he's hardly known as the next Adnan Januzaj or Raheem Sterling? I always hope our Youth players are going to develop into Premier League-players we don't have to buy, but if we fielded players like Gardner, Grealish, Johnson and Carruthers et al at the same time it would be a fast-track to relegation.

Over the last 10 years, how many of our Youth players have developed into mediocre or better Premier League-players?

I can think of Agbonlahor, Weimann, Cahill (although he developed his real ability elsewhere) and perhaps Craig Gardner right now, I guess there are a few more, but it's not like we are producing like La Masia. Gareth Barry came from Brighton, don't quite remember how old he was at the time. We have players like Nathan Baker, but he is nowhere near being a mediocre PL player in my eyes, he shouldn't play in this league yet.

And Wes Hoolahan is hardly known as known as the Irish David Silva or Juan Mata (or maybe he is)

Let's not forget that when Hoolahan was Grealish's age he was still playing in Ireland.

I like Hoolahan and wouldn't be averse to us signing him but I'd rather give Grealish a chance.

And Wes Hoolahan is hardly known as known as the Irish David Silva or Juan Mata (or maybe he is)

Let's not forget that when Hoolahan was Grealish's age he was still playing in Ireland.

I like Hoolahan and wouldn't be averse to us signing him but I'd rather give Grealish a chance.

I don't think we should sign bertrand, id like to see gary Gardner get a chance. See the problem with that statement?

I don't think we should sign bertrand, id like to see gary Gardner get a chance. See the problem with that statement?

Yeah. Gardner is a shit left back

How many squad players do you think we need?

Our current midfield is all useful squad players.

We need real quality, not useful squad players.

• Like 1

Whenever I've seen Grealish or Hoolahan play (not heaps I admit) they've played in very similar positions and I think If Lambert had the two of them available for selection they'd both be considered for a similar role in the team i.e I think they'd occupy one of the spaces that Weimann and Agbonlahor take up at the moment. There's no way that Hoolahan would play as one of the three central midfielders.

Our new playmaker should be a Benteke or Vlaar level signing to go straight into the first team then let some of the youngsters be squad players.

Yep we need players to go straight into the first team.

Granted, but they're all pretty one dimensional, no? All very workmanlike, but........

Hoolahan would bring something different to what we already have.

Hoolahan would add some creativity and ability to pass the ball forward from central midfield, he'd be a decent signing.

Obviously he's a bit old and not the most consistent, but he'd improve us, and given we are operating on a shoe-string, I think he's about a good as we can expect in terms of signing an attacking midfielder this summer, unless we luck out on a talented youngster.

Â