Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

comes to something when we can't sign a player most of us don't want....maybe someone up there is saving us from ourselves.

This club of ours has had some funny (weird)periods....we are certainly in one right now.

I have for many years said that Villa Park must be cursed because someone in the  distant past  refused  to buy the lucky heather or wooden clothes pegs to hang out the players gear on a Monday washing day to  dry.

Whatever the reason there is no doubt in my mind that what  you say TRO is almost true. This club of ours hasn't had "some"  funny periods, Truth is that we are always having a funny period.

Once we get used to this foible of AVFC, it makes everything else so much easier to understand. We support an extremely eccentric  club. A club  that in one half of a game makes  you think they are beyond brilliant and then in the next half makes you think that  they are a club of toddlers  that can't kick  a ball or make a tackle even if their life depended  on it.

I for one don't think that  Hoolahan  was the  answer  for  our  #10   needs and I am just as happy  that Lambert  and Faulkner didn't pay over the odds for a player that more than likely would have been massacred by the  fickle ones at B6.  Perhaps we all dodged a bullet in that respect.

This "funny period"  you refer to that we are in now  reminds me a lot of  the time when after losing to  Donny Rovers in the League Cup, DOL  was unable to bring in the oft injured  Erik Bakke.

Funny  how often history gets repeated  at B6. All we  need  now is for a  sighting of  Groundhogs at Villa Park and the circle of exasperation will continue.

You don't have to have a sense of humour  to  support   Aston Villa, but it helps  if you do. Otherwise you'd be a victim of forlorn hopes and expectations.

I feel sorry  for Hoolahan though. He missed an opportunity  to join a great club and one has to question the ethics  of those that prevented  such a player from practicing his craft at a club that wanted  to play him as opposed to a club that would just keep him warming a bench.

well said

Apparently Hoolahan has been put on gardening leave. Told to only come in to training when he's willing to grovel and apologise to all team mates and manager.

I say fair play to Norwich. Didn't want to strengthen a rival and stuck to their guns. They said all along they didn't want to sell to us, we went all billy big-bollocks thinking we could force their hand by unsettling the player.

• Like 2

If he had  been playing regularly and was central to their thoughts, then I would concede that he is their player and they want to keep him and would see the argument from Norwich's perspective much better.

.....but that was not the case and in my view the moral ground switches back to the player, in this case.

He is under contract and contract is drawn up in the spirit that the player will be expected to play, a contract is not drawn up expecting the player to sit on the bench....that said.

The player then sets about finding new employment on the thought basis that the club, doesn't want him and that moving on should be no problem, due to the said circumstances.

that to me seems a reasonable assumption from the player.

This is just seems vindictive and messing with a players head.

ps.... its like having a wife you don't want, but not letting anyone else have her when she has found somebody.

pps Having said all that i want to see a youngish "on the way up" no10 coming in to us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Apparently Hoolahan has been put on gardening leave. Told to only come in to training when he's willing to grovel and apologise to all team mates and manager.

I say fair play to Norwich. Didn't want to strengthen a rival and stuck to their guns. They said all along they didn't want to sell to us, we went all billy big-bollocks thinking we could force their hand by unsettling the player.

How..... by making an official bid (or bids) for the player???

It's not like we offered peanuts for their star player (after tapping him up with an offer of thousands a week).

We acted properly, as far as I can see, to try to sign a player who is on the fringes of the Norwich squad.

A player the current manager sees little value in.

If any party was acting "all billy big-bollocks" it was the management and owners of Norwich.

They've behaved like pricks and essentially hung a professional footballer out to dry.

I totally understand the "shit house club" outburst.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Never seen anything like it, a player not celebrating for scoring against a team he might have joined.

I liked what I saw of him though, would have made a decent addition.

Houghton is an absolute shit house for picking him, barely played all season then picked against us. I'm sure he wanted a situation to arise so to scape goat Hoolahan. I think it's backfired in all honesty.

Houghton is an absolute shit house for picking him, barely played all season then picked against us. I'm sure he wanted a situation to arise so to scape goat Hoolahan. I think it's backfired in all honesty.

That may be one of the reasons for Hoolahan looking less than impressed with his goal.

I was really hoping we could do a deal for him in January but come the summer it would be nice if we could move on to other targets.

• Like 1

Yea hughton clearly picked him because it was villa and must have creamed himself when he put them ahead, hilariously backfired in the end though.

You can see he's a good player though and is still exactly the type of player we need, was causing so much trouble in the first 20-25 minutes.

• Like 2

I'd still have him at the club. He may be older but that is what we need. Every club has some veteran player to fall back on. 

I agree, he'd be a useful addition to the squad, IMO.

• Like 1

Did well yesterday, I'd be fine with him signing in the summer.....as long as a younger version is also signed. Don't laugh but wouldn't shock me if we went back in for Kioyate...Lambert was still talking about him in January so would make sense to be playing Hoolahan while say a Kiyoate adapts to England.

I thought  Hoolahan simply took the opportunity to wear his heart on his sleeve,  particularly to the club he was clearly disappointed not to have been playing for. I just wished he would have capped the goal with a celebratory mooney towards the smug Norwich representatives in the directors box.

• Like 1

Thought he looked good but what a clearing in the woods for not celebrating. He has no link to us what so ever and he's a Norwich player who I'm sure was happy to sign a contract with them when he did. I'd be furious if one of our players did that.

Thought he looked good but what a clearing in the woods for not celebrating. He has no link to us what so ever and he's a Norwich player who I'm sure was happy to sign a contract with them when he did. I'd be furious if one of our players did that.

No link except to the manager, who basically made his career. Also, he's probably pissed at Hughton, and he did do a fist pump.

• Like 1

Â