What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Absolutely perfect. I posted something years ago, I guess, about a silly thing I did before Covid. I used to go to the canteen at work every day and 2 of the staff were, on the surface, quite miserable

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Absolutely perfect. I posted something years ago, I guess, about a silly thing I did before Covid. I used to go to the canteen at work every day and 2 of the staff were, on the surface, quite miserable - little interaction with their customers, kind of thing. So I resolved to make the first one, east European sandwich lady, chatty. So I’d just ask her silly questions, like

“cheese and onion barm please”

”£2.50”

”what crisps would you recommend, with my sandwich?”

”sorry?”

“”I don’t like onion, but I do like cheese and tomato, with salad cream and salt and vinegar crisps”

”brilliant, thank you, I’ll try that tomorrow”

then next day:

”I’ll have your favourite please”

it just works, and you get the smile and flash of tiny light the next time and so on

or Malaysian till lady

”(presenting plate of pie and chips to pay for) Just a salad for me, today, by the way, I always pick your queue because you’re the best, quickest operator”.

”(Little smile, and flicker of connection), which then became near daily low level human stuff “ how are you” - miles away from “£4.00” and already looking to the next person in the queue.

At the risk of them thinking I’m some kind of idiot I got smiles and recognition and “hello again” and tiny joy from, both achieving my secret aim of making gloomy, non-smilers smile, but more importantly, just connecting with people.

And I always see you on VT being a very kind poster. The way in which you respond is with acceptance and kindness.

It's very easy to take an extreme side - in fact these days it's almost the status quo (and I'm very guilty of it) and you don't fall into that (I'm thinking of an earlier post from today about Southgate in particular) but it is a wonderful trait of yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I'll be on TV tonight, on the ABC.

Floods in SA and NSW, voting, corrupt politicians, Ukraine Drugs...I guess I just missed you. Damn. The news is depressing everywhere, no wonder people get anxious.

Well said @blandy. I always make a point of thanking the lads and lasses at my local council rubbish tip site, for directing me to the right container, helping me with bulky items or just for being there in the lousy weather. Sad thing is, they're often taken aback with my thanks and it takes a second or two for it to register before I get a response. 

I've often thought that "bin men" get looked down upon and I wouldn't blame them for any attitude or feeling of being much maligned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Absolutely perfect. I posted something years ago, I guess, about a silly thing I did before Covid. I used to go to the canteen at work every day and 2 of the staff were, on the surface, quite miserable - little interaction with their customers, kind of thing. So I resolved to make the first one, east European sandwich lady, chatty. So I’d just ask her silly questions, like

“cheese and onion barm please”

”£2.50”

”sorry?”

“”I don’t like onion, but I do like cheese and tomato, with salad cream and salt and vinegar crisps”

”brilliant, thank you, I’ll try that tomorrow”

then next day:

”I’ll have your favourite please”

it just works, and you get the smile and flash of tiny light the next time and so on

or Malaysian till lady

”(presenting plate of pie and chips to pay for) Just a salad for me, today, by the way, I always pick your queue because you’re the best, quickest operator”.

”(Little smile, and flicker of connection), which then became near daily low level human stuff “ how are you” - miles away from “£4.00” and already looking to the next person in the queue.

At the risk of them thinking I’m some kind of idiot I got smiles and recognition and “hello again” and tiny joy from, both achieving my secret aim of making gloomy, non-smilers smile, but more importantly, just connecting with people.

This isn't really related to mental health, just half related to your post.

I'm proper introverted so I don't go as far as you with conversation, but a while back, I don't remember when, I made a concious decision to make eye contact and smile to everyone who takes my order, serves me at a till, shows me to my table, anything like that.

It's amazing how many beaming smiles you get in return from the unlikeliest of people (just judging from their body language). You can often see the surprise in their eyes when they do it. Makes you feel good

Doesn't always work. Some people you get nothing back from. But it's a nice thing to do.

Edit: this makes it sound creepy. I don't just stare at them smiling. I mean as I say thank you I do it while giving them a smile and making eye contact.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

On 24/11/2022 at 20:14, blandy said:

Floods in SA and NSW, voting, corrupt politicians, Ukraine Drugs...I guess I just missed you. Damn. The news is depressing everywhere, no wonder people get anxious.

My sincere apologies @blandy I got the time muddled up. The show was QandA and it aired live at 8:30pm AEST. You didn't miss me though because the panel didn't have enough time to get to my question.

59 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

My sincere apologies @blandy I got the time muddled up. The show was QandA and it aired live at 8:30pm AEST. You didn't miss me though because the panel didn't have enough time to get to my question.

No worries!

• 4 weeks later...
Â