Weather...

Dodgyknees

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Can you set them to cool?

How does that work?

It's fascinating that places (think mid US) with hot summers and cold winters happily installs an air-conditioner but don't pick one that is also a heat-pump. It's basically the same type of unit running in reverse with a valve. It costs about the same as well.

We've have had them here for donkeys years and they are very good for heating/cooling rooms. The problem being that it's hard to spread the heat from air-based between rooms. The water-based ones with plumbing and radiators are much better for that but they have the obvious downside that they cant cool the same way as air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

It's fascinating that places (think mid US) with hot summers and cold winters happily installs an air-conditioner but don't pick one that is also a heat-pump. It's basically the same type of unit running in reverse with a valve. It costs about the same as well.

We've have had them here for donkeys years and they are very good for heating/cooling rooms. The problem being that it's hard to spread the heat from air-based between rooms. The water-based ones with plumbing and radiators are much better for that but they have the obvious downside that they cant cool the same way as air.

This guy has made a series of videos on the topic. With the US as starting point.

Edit: I actually spent the better part of a year helping to install these with a guy who obviously had all the educations and certificates needed which I don't. Was more than 10 years ago so I imagine things have evolved since.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

This guy has made a series of videos on the topic. With the US as starting point.

On my subscription-list :D Funny dude

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 15:44, lapal_fan said:

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, on my way back home last night (giving 3 public transport go-ers a lift, so they didn't melt on buses/trains) my wife called me to say my 98 year old neighbor had fallen over and if I could go and help her in anyway.

So I get there and poor Doreen in lying face down on her living room carpet, with a weeping cut on her shin.  After about 40 minutes of painfully slow manipulation to roll her over without breaking anything, sit her up against a sideboard, myself and another elderly neighbor had her sitting back in her chair.

The reason she fell over is because she got tired from the 10 step journey from her kitchen to her living room, because of the heat. 

I took 2 fans around, because being old school I guess, her living room curtains and windows were open, it must have been about 38 degrees in there, we were all absolutely sodden with sweat when we left.

The ambulance was called before I arrived, but the waiting time was 8 hours.  They had 408 jobs outstanding (this is one crew we spoke to).. Even if "we" were alright, many elderly people simply weren't. 

Didn’t anyone tell her to just enjoy the nice weather while it lasted?

I am always amazed by how many different things get caught up in the "woke nonbinary activist" vs. "common sense blitz spirit gammon" culture war. I didn't think a 40 degree heatwave would be one of them.

It's understandable that people want to deny the link between a 40-degree heatwave and man made climate change. I think there's a semi-serious argument to be had there. Of course, you might need to work hard to come up with an explanation for why these extreme weather events are happening with such frequency now, and why all the "once in a hundred years" stuff is so concentrated in these first two decades of the 21st century. But you're right in the narrow sense that one heatwave doesn't really prove anything.

What baffles me is the desire to take this argument to its extreme, and make out that, in itself, a 40-degree heatwave is no big deal... a chance to sunbathe on the beach and have a cold cocktail in the garden. Like you did in 1976. How on earth do you justify that in the face of wildfires, old people keeling over and dying, and so on? What is the thought process?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Unfortunately I received another call at 11.30 pm last night from her son (mid 70s with quite bad Parkinson's, this very little strength), telling me she'd fallen over again on the way from her stair-lift to her bedroom.

I went around and it took well over an hour to get her back up and into her bed.

I don't know these people very well, I've only ever really spoken to the lady who fell over, 3 times very briefly since I've lived here (6 years).. was a bit embarrassing for everyone when she asked if we could undress her and get into her night clothes!

I also learned how to fit batteries into hearing aids, what a dress stand is and what incontinence pads for adults are!

The poor souls need some help :(

She won't get any. I've been here with family. Even with seriously incapable people there is literally no help. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

baffles me is the desire to take this argument to its extreme, and make out that, in itself, a 40-degree heatwave is no big deal... a chance to sunbathe on the beach and have a cold cocktail in the garden. Like you did in 1976. How on earth do you justify that in the face of wildfires, old people keeling over and dying, and so on? What is the thought process?

What if there’s no desire to have an argument? What if it goes like this:

“I love the hot weather, I love that for a day or two the weather is like when we go to Greece. Couple of cold drinks, kids pool in the garden, we’re making the most of it”

”But can’t you see half of Europe is on fire?”

”Yeah, but why are you angrily telling me that, why are you cross at me?”

”People are dying”

“Look mate, I’m just sitting in the garden in one of the few nice days weather we get each year, trying to chill out and forget about the gas bill. People dying is sad, but c’mon, don’t be angry and miserable at me all the time”

• Like 1

My house has finally got back to a nice ambient temperature. Until the next time.

I can sort of understand the climate change deniers.  It makes life so much simpler if you decide to stick your head in molten sand and not worry abut the demise of civilisation.

However it is happening, and going to get worse. Nice cherry though for Friyay.

To take this slightly sideways, I was wondering if anyone had looked into, or had gotten one of those domestic heat pumps (ground source or otherwise), and whether it's worth it. If we could store some of the heat we've experienced this week and use it at a later date, it would be decent. 

I've worked on commercial GSHP, but I wanted to know if the domestic equivalent is cheap enough and good enough to get yet. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

What if there’s no desire to have an argument? What if it goes like this:

“I love the hot weather, I love that for a day or two the weather is like when we go to Greece. Couple of cold drinks, kids pool in the garden, we’re making the most of it”

”But can’t you see half of Europe is on fire?”

”Yeah, but why are you angrily telling me that, why are you cross at me?”

”People are dying”

“Look mate, I’m just sitting in the garden in one of the few nice days weather we get each year, trying to chill out and forget about the gas bill. People dying is sad, but c’mon, don’t be angry and miserable at me all the time”

The weather was already nice before it hit 40… 25-30 is nice! 40 is **** hell I’m melting. But yeah maybe you’re right in a lot of cases… I was thinking more the GB News types, who maybe aren’t all that representative tbf

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I was thinking more the GB News types, who maybe aren’t all that representative tbf

Their sole purpose is to make people angry and scared. Like the Daily Mail. You're dead right they're not representative.

Â