Weather...

Dodgyknees

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Forecasters received a load of abuse from people for saying we were having record high temperatures.

This **** world, man :( 

On Twitter?

Absolute cesspit.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 15:00, chrisp65 said:

Artificial grass because of climate change!

That’s erm, well, yeah artificial grass. A nice plastic oil based product that absorbs heat and prevents birds finding insects.

spacer.png

Well it doesn’t need watering or mowing, so it would be interesting to see energy of production vs maintenance of real grass.

11 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Well it doesn’t need watering or mowing, so it would be interesting to see energy of production vs maintenance of real grass.

Watering?  I have never watered my lawn, but then I'm not obsessed with a perfect green lawn bowls type of surface.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I think people that have dogs and artificial grass have to wash the shit and piss off it quite regularly.

No cutting though.

Why would you water a lawn? It’s grass, its green when its wet and dries out when its dry, and then goes green again when its wet again.

How would you lay plastic grass? Would you just pop it on top of the soil or lay a tarmac base as per the proper instructions?

Then, well done no more mowing. But to keep the weeds out of it you now have a cleaning regime to keep up. So you’ve replaced one type of maintenance with another. There’s just no justification for plastic grass in a garden. It’s genuinely selfish and moronic at the same time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Why would you water a lawn? It’s grass, its green when its wet and dries out when its dry, and then goes green again when its wet again.

How would you lay plastic grass? Would you just pop it on top of the soil or lay a tarmac base as per the proper instructions?

Then, well done no more mowing. But to keep the weeds out of it you now have a cleaning regime to keep up. So you’ve replaced one type of maintenance with another. There’s just no justification for plastic grass in a garden. It’s genuinely selfish and moronic at the same time.

No tarmac, no weeds.

People mowing every Sunday is selfish as well isn’t it.

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Watering?  I have never watered my lawn, but then I'm not obsessed with a perfect green lawn bowls type of surface.

Don’t have to look far in this thread for someone watering their lawn.

Grass in Poland is scorched for 6 months and frozen over for the other 6. It’s not about being perfect, just not terrible.

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think people that have dogs and artificial grass have to wash the shit and piss off it quite regularly.

Probably shouldn’t get fake grass then should they.

Edited by fightoffyour

12 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No tarmac, no weeds.

People mowing every Sunday is selfish as well isn’t it.

Who the hell is mowing every Sunday?

I think I’ve mowed my grass maybe two or three times so far this year. Have not watered it once. You know what, it looks exactly like a lawn. It’s got insects in it too, and the blackbirds turn up a couple of times a day and walk from one end to the other, eating the insects.

Don’t get me wrong, its perfectly legal to have a plastic garden. Weird, but legal. But it contributes to climate degradation, its selfish, its short sighted, it’s stupid on about 17 levels.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who the hell is mowing every Sunday?

I think I’ve mowed my grass maybe two or three times so far this year. Have not watered it once. You know what, it looks exactly like a lawn. It’s got insects in it too, and the blackbirds turn up a couple of times a day and walk from one end to the other, eating the insects.

Don’t get me wrong, its perfectly legal to have a plastic garden. Weird, but legal. But it contributes to climate degradation, its selfish, its short sighted, it’s stupid on about 17 levels.

Cool, I only have about 2 x 3 m of lawn whether that had been grass or artificial. I have a flower bed almost the same size for insects and wildlife thanks.

It doesn’t require any maintenance to look good, at least in my opinion, year round. Something that for grass in Poland would require a lot of water in the summer and would be outright impossible in winter.   Very stupid.

Edited by fightoffyour

Cool, I only have about 2 x 3 m of lawn whether that had been grass or artificial. I have a flower bed almost the same size for insects and wildlife thanks.

It doesn’t require any maintenance to look good, at least in my opinion, year round. Something that for grass in Poland would require a lot of water in the summer and would be outright impossible in winter.   Very stupid.

Plastic grass is just a really bad idea.

It’s not even sensible if you have a flower border, that is likely going to need more maintenance than grass would, and not really have many flowers through winter. So now it makes even less sense. A flower bed is likely to need watering where grass wouldn’t, if its that dry and hot?

Look, I didn’t mean to personalise it. Plastic grass is one of those genuinely crap ideas. I can’t believe you could think it was too awful to look at to have 2 x 3m of actual real grass. 

Oh, and it doesn’t look good. It looks like someone put plastic grass in their garden. Which is weird. I mean, why would you not just get some plastic flowers too? then you could have nice flowers in the winter. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Plastic grass is just a really bad idea.

It’s not even sensible if you have a flower border, that is likely going to need more maintenance than grass would, and not really have many flowers through winter. So now it makes even less sense. A flower bed is likely to need watering where grass wouldn’t, if its that dry and hot?

Look, I didn’t mean to personalise it. Plastic grass is one of those genuinely crap ideas. I can’t believe you could think it was too awful to look at to have 2 x 3m of actual real grass. 

Oh, and it doesn’t look good. It looks like someone put plastic grass in their garden. Which is weird. I mean, why would you not just get some plastic flowers too? then you could have nice flowers in the winter. 

Flower bed is separated by some pebbles and then some planks of wood that were repurposed form the original loft window after conversion. That does need watering yes and doesn’t have many flowers in winter no.

The equipment and maintenance required for that patch of lawn didn’t make sense to me. Manual one couldn’t do a good enough job and an electric one would’ve been ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This dry spell we're having in Yorkshire must be the wettest dry spell in living memory. 

We had a good downpour overnight here in the midlands. Very much needed.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This dry spell we're having in Yorkshire must be the wettest dry spell in living memory. 

As ever the situation in the South East sets the tone for the rest of the country regardless of what's going on there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Similar over this side of the Pennines. It’s been (I’m my bit) probably colder cloudier and wetter than recent summers, probably going back 10 years, though it was hot for 2 days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â