Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Granted, Barcelona just came off probably the most successful 20 year period a European club has ever experienced and when you're supposed to be replacing Neymar/Suarez/Messi and not performing at a 9/10 every single night, you're a failure.  It's a bit how some Villa fans are already writing off Buendia as not being good enough because he hasn't been performing better than Grealish every night.  

I always thought Coutinho was bought to take over from Iniesta, which must have been one of the hardest jobs in football.  You could be world class and still come up a bit short.  There's also the expectation that comes with being a £100m+ footballer and I'd say only Mbappe off the top of my head has turned out to have been good value of those players.

Anyway I'm so excited by this, I think he would only be coming due to a desire to play football and work with Gerrard and he has played plenty this season.  Hopefully he can hit the ground running.

Wow, what a headline signing. I was keeping my powder dry until it was confirmed as we have seen these type of links before over the years; Juninho, Christian Vieri, Shearer, Gazza, Saviola, etc. It shows we now have a competent board, who can get stuff over the line now. 

It is certainly something that will make other teams and players sit up and take notice. It will also be a good tool to persuade other players to join us. 

I get some of the hesitancy like @The_Rev mentioned, but its a loan to begin with so if it doesn't work out then we aren't left with a multi-year debt weighing us down. He seem a humble guy and I'm sure Gerrard wouldn't have signed him if he wasn't 100% sure he has the right attitude and desire to work hard here and succeed. 

If he can replace JG's output on the left, then we are in for a special second half of the season. We never really replaced JG but this is the closest I think we can get. 

Looking forward to seeing him play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

The small Heath forum is gold. Loving all the green eyes pointing our way.

Well, you know. Its probably come as a bit of a shock to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What a signing. 

Ollie

Coutinho       Buendia  

Douglas New DM? Mcginn 

Target/New LB. Mings Konsa Cash

Emi

Now we’re cooking 

The absolute tree formation!

4 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

Good news.

This shows the value in having Stevie G as our manager. Not disrespect to Dean and the Villa but it does not happen without his involvement.

will be interesting to see how he and Buendia fit together. The likes of Traore, Bailey and Ollie will be chomping on the bit to play with him.

I  would imagine the home game against United could now be the hottest ticket in town. Shame the season is not starting now.

onwards!

Yeah....but we are hoping for the form he showed at Liverpool, not Barca.

We have to see, if his reputation, can be relied upon.....hoping SG can resurect it.....I guess, they both think they can.

PC has to get his sharpness back.

Edited by TRO

21 minutes ago, robby b said:

Coutinho at Villa, wow ! 😀

He scored nearly a goal every four matches at Barcelona: 26 in 106 appearances. I don't think that's bad, considering he's a midfielder, not a forward. Maybe their expectations were a bit too high.

No, plenty of opportunities under 3 different coaches. He has been pretty awful at Barça. Hope this move works out!

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah....but we are hoping for the form he showed at Liverpool, not Barca.

We have to see, if his reputation, can be relied upon.....hoping SG can resurect it.....I guess, they both think they can.

PC has to get his sharpness back.

He was fantastic on loan at Bayern 2 seasons ago.  Everyone saying he's washed up or past his best because he hasn't been a consistent 9/10 every game for Barca is delusional.  It may take him a few games to get back to fitness again, but he'll comfortably be one of the best players in England again by the end of the season.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

How can the club afford this?

I realize we've got wealthy owners but how do we get past FFP? We've got nowhere near the money income like the elite clubs do

FFP is a set of rules meant to be broken. How else do you explain Man City?

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

The insecurity of people trying to make up a story that Sky are disrespecting us or covering Trippier more than Coutinho to Villa is quite amusing 

Man City fans used to be insecure. Now look at them. Everyone promise me that, when we start winning things again, we're not going to turn into a bunch of conceited @&*(&@

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Looking at Coutinho's positions he seems to play often in the middle...

However, Sky have been showing his goals at Liverplop and he seems to be left-side and then drift in and on to his right foot.

He's likely going to play left-side presumably?

Yes, I reckon that he will cut in from the left and Buendia will do the same from the right.

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

If you look at heat maps for him then he occupies the spot that Grealish vacated on the left hand side.   He's not going to contribute much defensively at all which exposes Matt Targett even more.

Did Grealish contribute much defensively? No. This actually may help solve our LB problem for the short term. Grealish drew defenders away from Targett going forward, giving him more space and time to cross, and forced the opponent's right (our left) to stay deeper, meaning Targett had more time to get back when they went on the attack, hiding his lack of pace. Maybe Targett will start playing like he did last year.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well, you know. Its probably come as a bit of a shock to them. 

Life comes at you fast, small heathens. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Notice how Sky have already demoted the story well down their page. Comical 😂

I have noticed which is why I will not be renewing my Sky contract when it runs out. I would gladly do it earlier but am unsure how much they charge to end early? Anyone know? Would love to phone them & cancel stating their biased, awful coverage as being the reason and specifically the disgraceful disrespect they have shown in this which is clear evidence once again of the Scummy 6 protocol they have signed up to along with the FA & VAR.

Â