Carles Gil

bose

14 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

2 points in 15 games he's started under 3 different managers. All a massive coincidence, of course.

Yikes, didn't think I'd see this awful logic resurface. We've hardly got any more points in the games he hasn't played in anyway. The only common denominator is our shitness. We're not losing because of Carles Gil. That is utterly ridiculous.

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The more he plays the more it makes last years OTT reactions look more ridiculous. 

Yes, "why isn't Carles Gil even on the bench" was so OTT. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yikes, didn't think I'd see this awful logic resurface. We've hardly got any more points in the games he hasn't played in anyway. The only common denominator is our shitness. We're not losing because of Carles Gil. That is utterly ridiculous.

Yes, "why isn't Carles Gil even on the bench" was so OTT. 

Yes, I'm sure that's all that was said while he wasn't playing and we stayed up.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Where did I say we're losing because of Gil? I just don't think we're as effective with him playing, at least out wide,  as some seem to think. 

As for the bolded part, why do people insist on literally making things up to fit their argument? The stat I posted was that he's started 15 games and in those games we have 2 points. The last 15 games he didn't start? We picked up 14 points in 15 games (20 points in 19 games, since he joined the club). "Hardly any more points".

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

Technically good, but his refusal to use his right foot makes him too predictable when trying to beat a player. Also, as Gomez got taken out, he had a couple of seconds with the ball on his right foot and a clear shot at goal. Refused to hit it with his right foot. If I can have a go with my weaker foot, there's no excuse for a professional footballer. 

• Like 2

I think he was too lightweight yesterday, easily pushed off the ball and as others have said, his lack of pace means he can't really "knock and run" a la Adama or even Gabby.

I still think he is a cracking player and very technically gifted, but in certain games I just don't think he has the physicality to play. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Good post. The more he plays the more it proves last seasons decisions were correct.

I never did see the hype. He really only had a couple of good games right at the start, but it was clear even then that he was too lightweight. Even Sherwood saw that.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Where did I say we're losing because of Gil? I just don't think we're as effective with him playing, at least out wide,  as some seem to think. 

As for the bolded part, why do people insist on literally making things up to fit their argument? The stat I posted was that he's started 15 games and in those games we have 2 points. The last 15 games he didn't start? We picked up 14 points in 15 games (20 points in 19 games, since he joined the club). "Hardly any more points".

Losing/not picking up points, tomato/tomahto you're arguing semantics here. What was the point you were trying to make? Your words were very unambiguous: " All a massive coincidence, of course". The only conclusion to be drawn from that is that you mean it's no coincidence we don't pick up points while he's playing, which implies he's a direct cause for that. If that's not what you meant then fair enough, but you can't possibly be aggrieved that people can interpret it that way. There's really no other way to interpret it.

Also my point in saying we hardly pick up any more points, was that we don't pick up many points in general, regardless of personnel and was certainly not meant to be a definitive statement so that's cool that you went ahead and fact-checked a throwaway statement. My point is that we're shit, regardless. By cherry picking stats that isolate Gil you make it seem like Gil contributes significantly to that in the games that he plays when that couldn't be further from the truth. Or the implication that when he's out of the team we play significantly better or pick up more points. Do you really think that if we played him instead of N'Zogbia last season during our run-in, that we wouldn't have picked up as many points? I'd go as far as to say we would fare even better because he's a much better player than N'Zogbia.

In fact you know what, it is a coincidence. For his first spell in the side, he signed for the club during our worst run of the season (and probably our history, I can't remember) where we didn't score for 6 games in a row which ultimately saw Paul Lambert sacked. This run started before he even joined (on Boxing Day against Swansea, 18 days and 5 games before he joined to be exact, just so you're sure I'm not making things up). Another thing to note was that he was also our best player in his brief run in the side by far, so to simply look at the statistic that we didn't pick up any points during it to slight him is very disingenuous. The fact that we went on a run while Tim Sherwood was here around the time he was dropped was also a coincidence, ie: it had nothing to do with the fact that he wasn't playing.

This season, we have only won a single game and picked up a mere 5 points. He was also in and out of the team which reinforces my point. If you want the stats, it's 2 points we gained while he played (vs. Sunderland where he was a sub, and Man City) and 3 points when he didn't (the win on the opening day). So regardless of whether or not he's playing, we have been utterly hopeless. It has absolutely nothing to do with him, and to suggest so is ridiculous. Our problems run much deeper than Carles Gil.

Â