Carles Gil

bose

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

treated unfairly? what rubbish. He wasnt fancied by the previous manager and wasnt bullied or treated unfairly as suggested. I suppose Valencia treated him unfairly when they never played him either

maybe they could make a movie about his punishments at the club

The Gils Have Eyes?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Think if you're a professional athlete you should have enough about you from previous experience to not have your confidence killed by being dropped.

Though I wouldn't put it past the mentally weak players that dominate aston villa football club.

The top players bounce back.

Why would your confidence not be affected by being dropped?!  Crazy talk.

If it's only the top players who bounce back (Diego Costa, for one), then we're screwed as a club anyway so might as well keep a consistent team with Gil in it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Think if you're a professional athlete you should have enough about you from previous experience to not have your confidence killed by being dropped.

Though I wouldn't put it past the mentally weak players that dominate aston villa football club.

The top players bounce back.

Really do agree with you here though that's also the managers job to pick up less self confident players.

We have too many confidence based players at our club and it's really not helpful, we need a balance. Especially if your potential match winner is confidence based player, he must have someone on the park to help him through low times and remind him of what they should be doing, Gabby for example need constant advice.

I think losing strong characters like Barry, Milner, Laursen, Mellbeg and Petrov has caused us a lot of problems and not just because they were technically better than the current crop.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The train of thought that professional athletes shouldn't be affected by mental issues is practically prehistoric.

of course they are but being dropped is not really a reason he should be mentally scarred or have confidence crushed. He was hardly playing everyweek in Spain

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

of course they are but being dropped is not really a reason he should be mentally scarred or have confidence crushed. He was hardly playing everyweek in Spain

Perhaps. That's beside the point I was making though.
I was talking more generally.

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well, no-one has said he's mentally scarred (got to love VT), but it's obviously going to knock his confidence - which was the initial point.

And I'm pretty sure he was playing pretty much every week in Spain until he returned to Valencia.  Even then, he played a bit before joining us, didn't he?

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The train of thought that professional athletes shouldn't be affected by mental issues is practically prehistoric.

Yeah. Can't disagree with that at all.

But absolute nonsense any talk of him being treated unfairly being the cause of this. 

We don't know what went on at training. Veretout said Sherwood hardly spoke to him and he signed him. Gil was frozen out last year. Gil pre Sherwood and after Sherwood look like different players. I hope he can get it back but like the rest of the squad seems short on confidence. 

13 minutes ago, KSV said:

We don't know what went on at training. Veretout said Sherwood hardly spoke to him and he signed him. Gil was frozen out last year. Gil pre Sherwood and after Sherwood look like different players. I hope he can get it back but like the rest of the squad seems short on confidence. 

not really a great sample size, he had 5 games pre-Sherwood and that included the Hull debacle and the gutless performance at Arsenal

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Perhaps. That's beside the point I was making though.
I was talking more generally.

Well I don't understand why you've made that general point here then? Because all anyone was saying is practically what Zatman responded to you.

You don't get to being a professional athlete by having such low confidence that it's battered by being dropped.

11 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Well I don't understand why you've made that general point here then? Because all anyone was saying is practically what Zatman responded to you.

You don't get to being a professional athlete by having such low confidence that it's battered by being dropped.

I was responding to this point:

On 02/12/2015, 19:32:04, Woodytom said:

by making a general point about professional athletes.
I have no idea what does or doesn't affect Gil's confidence. I have no idea if being dropped affected him or not.

What I do know is brushing off anything that affects his or any other footballer's confidence as something that shouldn't affect them just because they're a "professional athlete" isn't fair.

I don't think Gil being dropped knocked his confidence, neither do I think it should have. But if it did then that's fine. Different things affect different people's attitudes and confidence. It's up to the man in charge to figure that out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Not really arguably his best performance came at Leicester and he has been poor the last two games.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not really arguably his best performance came at Leicester and he has been poor the last two games.

he is a good game 1 in 5 player, only other good performance for me was vs Chelsea but the rest is just hype with no end product

Jack has offered a lot more for me and rightly was ahead of him last season

Edited by Zatman

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was responding to this point:

by making a general point about professional athletes.
I have no idea what does or doesn't affect Gil's confidence. I have no idea if being dropped affected him or not.

What I do know is brushing off anything that affects his or any other footballer's confidence as something that shouldn't affect them just because they're a "professional athlete" isn't fair.

I don't think Gil being dropped knocked his confidence, neither do I think it should have. But if it did then that's fine. Different things affect different people's attitudes and confidence. It's up to the man in charge to figure that out.

I'd have to disagree. If we've got players whose confidence are affected by that then I really don't want them at the club. And it would go along way to explaining our current position.

I don't disagree with your overall point that humans are affected differently and in my job I work quite a bit with confidence.

My point is that if you're a professional athlete you should have enough about you, enough experience to toughen up and bounce back from a small thing such as being dropped.

If you're not able to do that then I really do question how you got here in the first place. 

And he did bounce back. He's gone off the boil in our past couple of games but when he's had a chance this season he's looked our best attacking player.

But like I said that wasn't the point I was making so I'll dip out now.

Edited by Stevo985

Â