Libor Kozák

samjp26

I'm struggling to think of games where he looked good.  City at home and Cardiff at home are the only ones I can think of where I thought he played well.  Speaking about him as a natural goalscorer after scoring 4 goals seems daft to me.  He is still early into his career here and his injury hasn't helped and he may turn out to be a solid premier league player.  But so far he's shown very little in terms of being a goal scorer in his career. 

Stoke away.

Scored from a bad back pass and also nearly got another near the end but Begovic brilliantly tipped over the volley. He was barely in the game that day as no surprise we were awful that day but very easily could've had two goals. Southampton away when he scored a nice poacher header from a cross is probably a similar case.

That's the thing with him in his 10 or so games, not often in the game but he popped up with crucial goals so certainly if he can get properly quick he has a role to play this season.

He scored against 2 German teams, I think that's a small sample to draw the conclusion he's in the wrong league.  

Wiki says he scored a hatrick against Stuttgart. Yes he didn't score many in Seria A but a couple were winners in games so to me he certainly fits the criteria of potential super sub- long time since we've had a striker who could fulfil that role.

I agree he's not the answer to Benteke going but way some are going on you'd think he's the Czech Bowery (now Libor spinning in a wheelchair has to be done!)

Edited by VillaChris

But the same year failed to score a single league goal.

Henry struggled to score goals in Italy.

As BOF says horses for courses.

Henry played on the wing and only for a very short spell in Italy.  I'm not sure his experience in just a few months adds much to the debate.

. . . and Kozak, of course, has made hundreds of appearances for us . . . 

Don't remember saying that. I said it doesn't really add to the debate. Henry played as a winger for 16 games and scored 3 goals. So like I actually said, it brings nothing to the debate about Kozak being suited to different leagues.

Yes it does but feel free to dismiss it if you wish.

It really doesn't. Played in different positions for a start, one had a much shorter spell and actually 3 in 16 is pretty decent for a winger.

No one was comparing a short spell Henry had to kozaks spell here. You've missed the point.

No, I haven't missed the point at all. I was comparing them. 

Either a dozen a games is enough to judge a player or it isn't. If it is, then the point about Henry was fair enough. If it isn't, then you shouldn't be writing off Kozak on the basis of a similar number of performances. You're trying to have it both ways. 

• Like 2

Henry was brought up to show how a player could struggle in one league and succeed in another. I don't think it's a good example but that's what it was used for. No one has said Kozak may not be suited to the premier league.

And I'm not writing him off, he could well turn out to be good but I have doubts about him. I've said a few times he's a capable back up player who will chip in with a few goals.

I just disagree that he's been good for us so far and that he's some sort of natural goal scorer.

OK Denis Bergkamp then (in Serie A).  Or Juan Sebastian Veron (in the Premier League).  Clearly both a different level to our Kozak but still.  The phenomenon does exist.

And I'm not writing him off

Is that not what you've been doing for the last week or 2? It's fine thinking that he won't come good and he may not, but to me saying that he's not good enough over and over is writing him off. I'm sure there are plenty who at the moment also think he won't do much but are willing to give him more than 14 or so appearances to make up their mind.

In the limited amount of game time he has received, according to the minutes, he is 1 in 2.2 games.

He's only played 780 minutes of football and in that time he's done well, yet you've already written him off. Weird, just weird.

Maybe people don't think he has done well. Or that they don't think he's offered much. I'm one of them. I think he will probably score 4/5 goals this season in this league and play a small part in certain cup games. And as long as he's not our main striker then that return will be fine for a back up striker.

In the limited amount of game time he has received, according to the minutes, he is 1 in 2.2 games. 

He's only played 780 minutes of football and in that time he's done well, yet you've already written him off. Weird, just weird. 

Especially given the comparative stats with Benteke over the same period when he joined.

That isn't to say he will end up as good as Benteke, it just illustrates the danger of making judgements on players too early before they've had time to settle.

I used Henry as an example for two reasons, one the point BOF made about how some players succeed in one country and not another and also the danger off writing players off too quickly.

• Like 1

He seems to be technically quite proficient. I remember him hitting a nice arching volley against some team during Benteke's absence that either hit the bar or was tipped over. Think it might have been Hull or possibly Stoke? I think there is more to him than a lot of people think. 

• Like 1

OK Denis Bergkamp then (in Serie A).  Or Juan Sebastian Veron (in the Premier League).  Clearly both a different level to our Kozak but still.  The phenomenon does exist.

Bergkamp didn't really fail at Inter but he wasn't Arsenal Bergkamp, Veron is the killer example. He was the heartbeat of a great Lazio (*spit*) side, he was utterly amazing and ran things in the middle of the park, scored goals, was brilliant. Then Fergie buys him and plays him wide! He had a coupel of great games for them, centrally though and in the Champs League, never did well in the Prem and was played totally out of position.

Kozak was not rated by the Lazio (*spit*) staff, a few people over here know of him and rated him as a big strong presence with surprisingly good feet. He coudl turn out to be anything yet, so far he's done well in what littl time he's had in terms of delivering the goods. He hasn't looked like he'll turn into a world beater but who knows.   

Â