Libor Kozák

samjp26

I just think the praise some are doling out is more indicative of low expectations for the club.

Who can seriously say they picture Kozak and think 'wow, that football lark's pretty awesome'?  How many anticipate misty-eyed reminisces about his glorious heroics in five years time?

I mean, seriously, be honest.  And isn't that what football is about in many ways.  As everyone keeps, correctly, saying, it ain't just about getting over the line, be that the goal line or the heady utopia of 17th place.

How many people are expecting heroics?

He was a cheap striker signed to be a decent backup to our obviously number one striker.

And so far he's scored a fair few goals when he's played.

He's a squad player. he doesn't need to be scoring 30 goals a season to be good enough.

• Like 3

I think people hold a subconscious grudge against him because they wanted an exotic attacking mid when we signed him and also think we wasted £7m on him when in reality it was more like £4m.

• Like 3

We missed him last year that's for sure, under lambert when bentekes form was piss poor we had no options, he offers us something off the bench, the big mans looking tired of not playing well then get him off and get libor on, that's not something you would have said about andi, Sinclair or even gabby

He's decent enough for the role that he has

The other thing is that none of us have really seen  much of him.

We've seen him play a handful of games for us, in a new league before he'd really settled in.

That's not enough time for any of us to make a judgement on his ability. The fact that he did reasonably well in that time is very encouraging imo.

He isn't the best, most exciting player in the world but he is a great option, and has proven he can scores goals, give us something different.

I am pretty confident if Kozak never broke his leg, we wouldn't have been fighting relegation last season.

• Like 2

I just think the praise some are doling out is more indicative of low expectations for the club.

Who can seriously say they picture Kozak and think 'wow, that football lark's pretty awesome'?  How many anticipate misty-eyed reminisces about his glorious heroics in five years time?

I mean, seriously, be honest.  And isn't that what football is about in many ways.  As everyone keeps, correctly, saying, it ain't just about getting over the line, be that the goal line or the heady utopia of 17th place.

He was a cheap striker signed to be a decent backup to our obviously number one striker.

He's a squad player. he doesn't need to be scoring 30 goals a season to be good enough.

I mean, isn't it natural to expect something resembling heroics from a striker?  Or is that squealing eight year old footie fan part of me worryingly strong?

People often, in my view slightly peculiarly, compare the club to a regular place of employment.  As someone who's managed a commercial environment I would love a sturdy, hard-working Kozak to be part of my team.  But, Ikea we ain't.  I just think at the level we want to be operating on it really does help to have either that swish of magic or the perseverance of an ox.

Having said all this I am always 100% behind every Villa player and find much of the mouth-fuming regarding our boys to be pretty obnoxious.  Make me love you, Kozak!

I mean, isn't it natural to expect something resembling heroics from a striker?  Or is that squealing eight year old footie fan part of me worryingly strong?

People often, in my view slightly peculiarly, compare the club to a regular place of employment.  As someone who's managed a commercial environment I would love a sturdy, hard-working Kozak to be part of my team.  But, Ikea we ain't.  I just think at the level we want to be operating on it really does help to have either that swish of magic or the perseverance of an ox.

Having said all this I am always 100% behind every Villa player and find much of the mouth-fuming regarding our boys to be pretty obnoxious.  Make me love you, Kozak!

You're not a squealing 8 year old anymore either, so you're incapable of looking past things like "ability" when judging a player. I remember a few older heads telling me that Ray Houghton wasn't all that for The Villa back in 92, but you would never have convinced my 9 year old self that we was anything but a god amongst men. I swear I once saw him score from 40 yards out. I've no idea what 32 year old me would think of Ray now. In fact, he drinks near to me in Camden and if I ever bump into him he might well be shocked by how much adulation I have for him.  

Kozak has a back story going for him anyway...

Regardless of the environment, football clubs at every level need sturdy, hard working and reliable players. Especially those clearly capable of finding the net.

His goal at weekend was well taken and good movement to create the space for the through ball from Joe Cole.

Held the ball up reasonable well , some good touches and worked hard running across the line.

Is it a world beater ..no but I think he is capable of getting goals and in a team that scored as few as we did last season that is a positive attribute to have.

I think people hold a subconscious grudge against him because they wanted an exotic attacking mid when we signed him and also think we wasted £7m on him when in reality it was more like £4m.

I think that's complete rubbish to be honest. Some people don't rate him 'cos he hasn't actually shown all that much to be honest when he has played.

Personally I think he's okay, nothing great, can see why others would think differently.

the old lower expectations argument is back

As our squad stands at the moment Benteke is the only player who I'd back to score more goals than Kozák, in a season.

Well if Benteke is scoring the goals than Kozak wouldn't be playing so I doubt he would score too many. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â