Libor Kozák

samjp26

But the same year failed to score a single league goal.  

Yep which means Italian football doesn't suit him.  A lot of his goals in the EL (IIRC) came against German opposition which is more comparable to us than it is to Italy.  It pointed towards someone who was in the wrong league.  Sometimes players don't suit certain leagues.  I think he's a very good example of that in Italy when you look at the kind of attributes he has as a striker.  It was quite a canny purchase by Lambert.

• Like 1

At the end of the day we all dismiss or include certain facts to justify or back up whatever stance we've decided is right.  He scored a lot of goals against sides that weren't Italian.  He moved out of Italy and has done well since coming here.  I have more confidence in him than some do.

Regarding being in the wrong league, it's not just statistical.  Look at him.  He's a physical battering ram of a striker.  He is tailor-made for a more physical league like the Premier League.  Italy doesn't play that way.  It doesn't take a moneyball analysis to realise that this guy was going to do better in the Premier League than he was ever going to do in the Serie 'A'.

To be fair to him look at his appearances. He started a grand total of 15 times in the league for Lazio and scored 10 goals.

Some players just don't fit the "super sub" role. Not saying that is 100% the case here, but it could hold weight.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/67285/History/Libor-Kozk

That's fair enough, I don't have much faith in him from what i've seen.  I think had gabby or bent had the exact performances and goals during the exact same spell, there wouldn't be many claiming they'd performed well.

To be fair to him look at his appearances. He started a grand total of 15 times in the league for Lazio and scored 10 goals.

Some players just don't fit the "super sub" role. Not saying that is 100% the case here, but it could hold weight.

It also suggests he's not good enough to start games and play on a regular basis.

Henry struggled to score goals in Italy.

As BOF says horses for courses.

Henry played on the wing and only for a very short spell in Italy.  I'm not sure his experience in just a few months adds much to the debate.

It also suggests he's not good enough to start games and play on a regular basis.

For Lazio maybe. Or at the very least under that manager(s) or that particular time and style. Too many variables to make such a sweeping statement for me.

Henry played on the wing and only for a very short spell in Italy. I'm not sure his experience in just a few months adds much to the debate.
It adds just what it was supposed to, an example of someone who struggled in Itsly but not in England.

But as it happens he made about as many appearances as Kozak has for us so as you say, a very short spell and not really enough to judge.

• Like 1

Henry played on the wing and only for a very short spell in Italy.  I'm not sure his experience in just a few months adds much to the debate.

That Falcao fellow is shit too - especially for such huge wages.

Don't remember saying that. I said it doesn't really add to the debate.  Henry played as a winger for 16 games and scored 3 goals.  So like I actually said, it brings nothing to the debate about Kozak being suited to different leagues.

wow we writing Kozak off before the season starts?

No just discussing the impact he might have, based on his career so far.  He may turn out to be very good and play a regular part in a great season for us.

That Falcao fellow is shit too - especially for such huge wages.

Is he?  Didn't have a great season but was brilliant for years previously.

Don't remember saying that. I said it doesn't really add to the debate.  Henry played as a winger for 16 games and scored 3 goals.  So like I actually said, it brings nothing to the debate about Kozak being suited to different leagues.

Yes it does but feel free to dismiss it if you wish.

People are forgetting that he was decidedly second in the pecking order at Lazio to Klose and didn't have many first team opportunities. So the fact that he had a great run in the EL should be encouraging if anything.

Â