Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Nigel

Does anyone think we can play delph & el madhi holding mid and Westwood as cam who can play various types of passes over the top and thru the defence for the deadly trio to run onto

No, Westwood doesn't offer enough to the attack to play the advanced midfield role.

• Like 1

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think we can play delph & el madhi holding mid and Westwood as cam who can play various types of passes over the top and thru the defence for the deadly trio to run onto

No, Westwood doesn't offer enough to the attack to play the advanced midfield role.

not that u agree with the original comment (see page 7) but westy had the most assists of any of our midfielders last year

Edited by StefanAVFC

not that u agree with the original comment (see page 7) but westy had the most assists of any of our midfielders last year

Yet still never once came close to offering a goal-threat. Which is fine when you are a deep-lying midfielder but not acceptable for an advanced midfielder.

This we will be a tough game. We are shit against Liverpool at home and they seem to be well organised. We really struggle to break teams down at home as teams sit back so all the pace in our attack is less effective. We still have no Merson type playmaker for these sort of games. I think it will be low scoring, maybe 1-0 to Liverpool.

I think we will struggle to create clear chances, our home form over the last couple of seasons has been dire, I feel we would have a better chance at Anfield.

Sadly, how I see it.

This we will be a tough game. We are shit against Liverpool at home and they seem to be well organised. We really struggle to break teams down at home as teams sit back so all the pace in our attack is less effective. We still have no Merson type playmaker for these sort of games. I think it will be low scoring, maybe 1-0 to Liverpool.

I think we will struggle to create clear chances, our home form over the last couple of seasons has been dire, I feel we would have a better chance at Anfield.

Interesting point.

I was listening to Brendan earlier (pre match) and Mourinho's post match conference and they both said they the same thing "to limit the counter attacks" once teams have clocked on to this we will probably struggle to break down teams when the space isn't there for the front 3.

This is why an attacking midfielder is probably necessary.

Anyway I will go for 2-1 narrow win.

We're actually not primarily a counter attacking team any more. We're very good at breaking quickly because we have pace, but if you watch our play, the vast majority of the time we're playing it round at the back, going backwards any time there's nothing on, keeping the ball moving.

I remember Gary Neville saying that SAF always encouraged them to keep possession at the back and to have the confidence to keep moving it around there because it would pull the other team out and leave gaps behind them. When we were less cultured we would just launch it over the top if a team sat back, now we've got players who are so comfortable on the ball that they can just keep probing until something opens up.

I'm happy if Rodgers thinks we're a counter-attacking team. He'll have a shock.

• Like 3

Interesting point.

I was listening to Brendan earlier (pre match) and Mourinho's post match conference and they both said they the same thing "to limit the counter attacks" once teams have clocked on to this we will probably struggle to break down teams when the space isn't there for the front 3.

This is why an attacking midfielder is probably necessary.

Anyway I will go for 2-1 narrow win.

i'm not convinced by this, we are amazing on teh counter it's true. It's not the only way we create chances though, at chelsea gabby went close and weimann had a good chance that were chances that resulted froma bit of possession and moving theball on the deck. Not getting behind them with pace on teh counter at all. Personally I'll be glad if they set up to stop the counter because I think we might surprise them and it'll mean they aren't committing much forward in fear of the counter.

So annoyed! I'm off down to the Reading festival for the day and in gonna miss the game! Agh!!!!

Villa is all season. Reading is once a year. Have a good one. I'm going down tomorrow.

Cant choose between betting on Benteke first scorer 3-1 125/1 or 3-2 100/1. Feeling optimistic, which is certain to cost me money!

Be careful. I just whacked a fiver on us to win. So we're going to lose. I'm really sorry.

Cant choose between betting on Benteke first scorer 3-1 125/1 or 3-2 100/1. Feeling optimistic, which is certain to cost me money!

Be careful. I just whacked a fiver on us to win. So we're going to lose. I'm really sorry.

Went with Gabby first goal scorer 3-2, Might as well give my money to PP

Yes I'm way of the level of optimism I'm currently feeling coupled with the usual strong desire to beat Liverpool meaning I'm setting myself up for a fall. Hopefully the fact there's been media focus on our shitty luck v chelsea will weigh on the ref''s mind this weekend :)