Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Nigel

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big risk changing things in the middle IMO. KEA hasn't done anything wrong, and may have been an important factor in the centre for us - we'll find out very soon

I think fatigue may be a factor 

KEA has come on leaps and bounds so far this season but i think 3 games in the space of a week may have come to soon for him

Edited by AshVilla

I thought it was rich that [Mourinho] said [that Villa are a direct, ugly-to-watch, team]. In that game, Chelsea played more long balls than Aston Villa, if you look at the stats. A counterattacking team? Real Madrid is a counterattacking team at times. Manchester United can be a counterattacking team at times. It's effective for Aston Villa.

Exactly - Real Madrid were found out last season when teams really started to sit back against them, rather than playing in a manner which would see them get caught on the counter attack.  Last season was quite interesting in that respect, as some teams in Spain seemed to reverse their approaches to the big two: they started attacking Barça at times, and putting every man behind the ball against Real.

That said, I'd still say one of our greatest weapons is the counter attack.  I don't think we consistently rely on it per se, but it is something we do exceptionally well.

• Like 1

Big risk changing things in the middle IMO. KEA hasn't done anything wrong, and may have been an important factor in the centre for us - we'll find out very soon

KEA has come on leaps and bounds so far this season but i think 3 games in the space of a week may have come to soon for him

Agreed. Don't forget he's the oldest of our midfielders at 28.

Agreed. Don't forget he's the oldest of our midfielders at 28.

:lol:

Fairly sure a 28 year old professional midfielder is able for 3 games in a week

I don't think that your average 28-year-old footballer is too old to play three games in the space of a week, particularly at this stage of the season  :D

However, he has been working very hard and pressing well, so it may be just to ensure he doesn't push himself too hard and pick up an injury.  We do have a big enough squad to be able to rotate now though - something which none of us are particularly used to!

(edit: Pete beat me to the first part!)

Edited by Troglodyte