Southampton

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

They're a good side who had an off-day yesterday - a bit like us in our few games beforehand.

Thats why mid-table teams are mid-table teams - they're "sometimes good, sometimes shit". Rubbish teams finish in the bottom 6, good teams finish in the top 6 and the rest finish in the middle. Thats where they are, thats where we are.

Not sure they have the capability to push for European football though - they don't seem to spend anywhere near what we do/can.

Mid table in prem is as close as you're going to get to our three years in the championship really. 3-4 teams like us and Southampton on their day capable of turning over likes of Man. United and Spurs....and then losing to Watford the next week.

Top 10 for Saints would be a very good season for them considering they finished 16th last year but would be disappointed if we can't finish above them now.

• 7 months later...

Hasenhüttl will probably go to a bigger club than Southampton for his next role, if Everton sack Lampard he might even end up there.

For the most part in his time at Southampton they've had a really poor squad, he's performed a near miracle just keeping them out of any real danger of going down.

They spent £70m plus in the summer so maybe feel they should be doing better now, but of their seven summer signings only one of them, Joe Aribo is over the age of twenty, so a very young team they're building, about thirty of that seventy million was spent on three players from Man City's academy, only one of them had any experience at first team level and that was in League One in goal for Portsmouth.

Given their transfer policy I imagine they will want a young 'progressive' type as a replacement, Steve Cooper would have been a good option for them as has a brilliant track record of working with young players but probably not going to happen now he's signed his contract.

I wonder if they might try for Gallardo, would probably feel he could do better though.

in real trouble. i don't look at their squad and think "there's a lot of quality there"

armstrong and adams are simply not PL strikers and if they don't address that in Jan they'll be down

it's about time we beat them at their place too (lock down season doesn't count)

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Gerrard to Southampton.

Coutinho to Southampton.

giphy.gif

Do you not consider that PC might be glad to be free of the burden of beong tarred as "Stevie's mate" "Stevie's love child" etc. 🙄

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

in real trouble. i don't look at their squad and think "there's a lot of quality there"

armstrong and adams are simply not PL strikers and if they don't address that in Jan they'll be down

it's about time we beat them at their place too (lock down season doesn't count)

I think they let down Hassnhuttl in the market. They paid big in the summer but signed unproven talent, not even players from other leagues but think gave City about 50 million for 3 kids

They have been a selling club and he has probably overachieved by keeping them up for 3/4 seasons

• Like 1

Â