Southampton

NurembergVillan

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The last think you give Hughes is a decent budget. He goes mental.

It does seem to be the running theme of his career that the more money he gets, the worse his teams perform. 

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The lack of goals in recent seasons is baffling. They have good attackers but little goals to show 

Not really. Austin can't stay fit and when he's fit he's painfully slow so needs chances created for him. Gabbiadini is also slow and doesn't really excel at anything and Long wouldn't score in a whore house. Tadic has talent but he's one of those players that you can't rely on. He has one good game in every 4 or 5.

Edited by villa89

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Sparky Hughes - managerial genius ;)

I wondered about his uncharacteristic over the top reaction when they stayed up and then I remembered he was on a one million pound bonus to keep them up. I'd be that happy too if I just won a million quid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Not really. Austin can't stay fit and when he's fit he's painfully slow so needs chances created for him. Gabbiadini is also slow and doesn't really excel at anything and Long wouldn't score in a whore house. Tadic has talent but he's one of those players that you can't rely on. He has one good game in every 4 or 5.

Didn't they sign a striker for about £20m in January or something?  Not sure what happened with him.

33 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Didn't they sign a striker for about £20m in January or something?  Not sure what happened with him.

Apparently they did, Guido Carrillo. I can't recall seeing him play but he has 1 goal in 7 appearances. 

Edited by villa89

It should be an embarrassment that they're anywhere near the dropzone.  OK it doesn't help that the redscouse have a constant lob-on for your talent (and Spurs nick your manager), and of course eventually that talent pool will dry up, but they should be looking at 'best of the rest' with the setup they have there.  And WTAF was Gabbiadini doing on the bench in the first place?  He's a finisher.  Has been since he arrived.  I can't imagine they'll be down there again next season and now with Liverpool presumably looking higher up the footballing ladder for their recruits they can finally rest easy about being pillaged.

Well, apart from maybe Tadic ...

and Ward-Prowse.

and maybe Bertrand ... and Forster.

On 10/05/2018 at 13:58, villa89 said:

I wondered about his uncharacteristic over the top reaction when they stayed up and then I remembered he was on a one million pound bonus to keep them up. I'd be that happy too if I just won a million quid.

Fat Sam has a survival bonus at every club! I think he got £1m from keeping Everton up. Kermit the Frog could have kept Everton up!

• 2 months later...

This Danny Ings transfer might be the most insane thing ever. 

He is 99% guaranteed never ever perform to previous levels. 

Even if he does that level was Championship so no guarantee it will be good enough for The Premier League (always always remember Corporal Punishment) 

Even if he is good enough he's 99% guaranteed to be injured over and over again. 

I would have been really pissed off if we had merely taken him on loan. 

Just imagine being a Southampton fan, having him being either shit or injured all season, getting relegated and then having to fork out £20m.

It's just nuts. 

They could have bought 5 x overseas strikers and probably one would be half decent. 

• Like 2

Ings was good at Burnley, injuries destroyed his chances at Liverpool.

TBH Southampton signed that young keeper from Man. City for nearly 15m so if we're going by that 20m for Ings is relative bargain as he'll surely score more than Shane Long if he can keep fit.

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ings was good at Burnley, injuries destroyed his chances at Liverpool.

TBH Southampton signed that young keeper from Man. City for nearly 15m so if we're going by that 20m for Ings is relative bargain as he'll surely score more than Shane Long if he can keep fit.

If is the key word. 

Liverpool are using some dodgy fees recently for players leaving

Had the immeasurable pleasure of getting to watch 'Gladbach tear Southampton to shreds last Saturday (catharsis almost, the last time I was at St Mary's was for that 6-1).  I know, I know, friendly and all that jazz but they look completely toothless up front and hilariously seem to be shaping up with Vestergaard in the middle of a back three with Hoedt on the left (which would make a Jedinak/Whelan pairing look utterly rapid by comparison).  I was in genuine disbelief when my Saints-chums said they were in for Vestergaard to the tune of £20m+, we paid less for Matty Ginter and as of last season, would have Vestergaard down as maybe 3rd choice CB behind Ginter and Elvedi.  He only looked any cop when we had Christensen on loan alongside him who was just top, top quality.  Sure, he'll get his head on most things and gives you an occasional threat from set pieces, but if ever a defender suffered from terminal Ciaran Clark-itis once they got to the halfway-line, it's Jannik. Lovely flowing locks on him, though.

But yeah. Saints were a shambles and but for taking the foot off the gas in the blistering heat and rotating in some of the youth players, 'Gladbach could have had 6 or 7 (without Hazard or Stindl, no less).  Almost every through-ball out wide was putting the wingers clean through, Lemina looked like the only player genuinely capable of beating a man and creating something but his defensive positioning was woeful and Gabbiadini kept fluffing what few genuine chances they managed to sniff out.  At one point in the second half their new lad Elyounoussi tried beating about 3 players on his own (with initially impressive results, to be fair) as there was nobody showing for him at all, and McCarthy let a fairly slow-moving, speculative 30-yarder push straight through his palms for one of the goals.

They're in for another long, hard slog and having been surrounded by the gits as their resurgence was seemingly timed with our decline, quite frankly I couldn't be happier.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

Â