Southampton

NurembergVillan

I hope they do go down to be honest - not because I don't like them, I do, I've always had a soft spot for them thanks to Le Tiss - but because they don't really offer anything to the league now. They play slow, boring, possession football, but not well, and none of their players are particularly exciting. Swansea have the Ayews and Carvalhal's funny quotes, Palace have Zaha, even the West Ham scummers have Lanzini. What makes Southampton interesting to watch?

They gave Pellegrino far too long.

Results under him:

Southampton 0-0 Swansea

Huddersfield 0-0 Swansea

Southampton 0-2 Watford

Stoke 2-1 Southampton

Southampton 2-2 Newcastle

Brighton 1-1 Southampton

Southampton 0-1 Burnley

Southampton 1-4 Leicester

Southampton 1-1 Huddersfield

Southampton 1-2 Palace

Southampton 1-1 Brighton

Southampton 0-0 Stoke

Newcastle 3-0 Southampton

Look at all the winnable home games we wasted. Little Hughes can do when the fixture list has Arsenal and Chelsea on it.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I hope they do go down to be honest - not because I don't like them, I do, I've always had a soft spot for them thanks to Le Tiss - but because they don't really offer anything to the league now. They play slow, boring, possession football, but not well, and none of their players are particularly exciting. Swansea have the Ayews and Carvalhal's funny quotes, Palace have Zaha, even the West Ham scummers have Lanzini. What makes Southampton interesting to watch?

Well lots of their attacking players like Tadic, Ward-Prowse, Redmond are hyped up crazily. Wasn't lemina being lauded after his debut as some defensive midfield masterclass?

Their best player this season has been Bertrand, he was great yesterday so ready to go back to top 6 club I think.

Think they've missed Steven Davis aswell.

One thing I can't understand is why they never bothered replacing Van Djik, particularly in January. Wesley Hoedt hasn't been as good as I thought he'd be in the premier league and their other defensive options are fairly mediocre.

Tadic is a quality player but looks to be saving himself for World Cup. Redmond is crap and headless

They havent a striker, well Austin is good but made of glass. Long has a work ethic but not much quality and Gabbiadini and Carrillo arent much

Their players don't work well together. Long does have a good work rate, but doesn't score anywhere near enough to play as a lone striker, so they'd need to find a system with him playing off another striker, but Gabbiadini (after a promising start) and Carillo have turned out to be just shit, and Austin is frequently injured and doesn't link well with the rest of their play anyway. 

For me, Tadic is more like a one-quality-game-in-four type of player, and Redmond and Ward-Prowse are players who would look good as bit-part players in a much stronger side like Leicester, but aren't good enough to carry a team by themselves (compare them to Zaha and see how far off carrying a team they are). Davis is definitely a miss. 

I do agree about their defence, it's pants. Stephens might be a good player one day, but he's just a kid now, and Yoshida is just a hack who's never been good enough. 

I can't honestly look at their team and say (apart from Bertrand and maybe Tadic) 'there's a player who's too good to be playing in the Championship next season'. 

• Like 1

Would still expect them to be the best of the relegated trio next season down here as they'll keep players like Redmond and he'd be one of the best attacking players at championship level.

West Brom will struggle I think (Not Sunderland level but more like Hull's season) and Stoke will proably be around the play offs. Their squad situation is pretty similar to Southampton.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Well lots of their attacking players like Tadic, Ward-Prowse, Redmond are hyped up crazily. Wasn't lemina being lauded after his debut as some defensive midfield masterclass?

Their best player this season has been Bertrand, he was great yesterday so ready to go back to top 6 club I think.

Think they've missed Steven Davis aswell.

One thing I can't understand is why they never bothered replacing Van Djik, particularly in January. Wesley Hoedt hasn't been as good as I thought he'd be in the premier league and their other defensive options are fairly mediocre.

I honestly think Young has been a better left back this season.

Anytime I've seen them this season he's impressed me so just going off what I've seen.

Mind you had a quick look on a Saints forum last hour and they all can't wait for him to leave, think he's an awful captain with a poor attitide.

Perceptions of neutrals always different to fans who watch week in week out.

• 3 weeks later...

1 ppg average during his 7 games for them.

has a 1.14 ppg average in the 284 games he's managed since leaving Man C

Why on earth did they go for him?

17 minutes ago, sne said:

1 ppg average during his 7 games for them.

has a 1.14 ppg average in the 284 games he's managed since leaving Man C

Why on earth did they go for him?

ex player, cheap and not really a risk at this stage. Pellegrino was awful

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

ex player, cheap and not really a risk at this stage. Pellegrino was awful

He sure was, but he still has a better ppg average for them than Hughes has 

Not by much thou 1.09 - 1.00

1 minute ago, sne said:

stats might support that but the players had zero interest in playing for Pellegrino and were sleep walking the way to relegation. Under Hughes they have had more fight and are back in it

I agree he was terrible but players earning millions not bothering to perform is pretty damning on the players as well.

Van Dijk going on strike or having tantrums for not getting a move probably didn't help either.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Pellegrino wasted so many home games against bottom half teams.

Mark Hughes has had a tough run, they played Arsenal and Chelsea few weeks back and also got Man. City on the last day. Everton at home have been decent this year.

They should've sacked Pellegrino at xmas.

It's interesting when you look at all three relegated teams they arguably gave their managers too long. Pardew should've been sacked by middle of February, Hughes should've gone last summer (Stoke) and Pellegrino out by January.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

The irish emile heskey. Runs around, holds the ball up but can't score for shite.

Take that back! I call on a moderator to give you a ban for such disgraceful slander!

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Sparky Hughes - managerial genius ;)

He's saved the club's arse really.  There's no way they should have got themselves into such an awful position.  I suppose they got a bit complacent that their model will work repeatedly, and as I have a soft spot for them I hope Hughes gets a decent budget in the summer because they need a serious freshening up.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's saved the club's arse really.  There's no way they should have got themselves into such an awful position.  I suppose they got a bit complacent that their model will work repeatedly, and as I have a soft spot for them I hope Hughes gets a decent budget in the summer because they need a serious freshening up.

The last think you give Hughes is a decent budget. He goes mental.

Â