Southampton

NurembergVillan

This for me shows all thats wrong with the system.  How can England lose a great prospect to arsenals reserve team?

Its a stupid move from Chambers!

Happened with Sinclair and Rodwell at Man City. Players would rather earn more and sit on the bench that play first team football

I think this is partially why we don't seem to perform at International level - all our young English players want to run before they can walk (and be paid handsomely for it).

Arguably, both Rodwell and Sinclair could've forced themselves into the England World Cup squad if they'd stayed put and played weekly.

As for Southampton - it's nice having money in the bank but they've been horrendously asset stripped. Some of those players have been at the club for a long time (Lallana and Schneiderlein were playing League One with them) and they'd matured into a well performing unit.

Even if Koemen brings in 'suitable' replacements, there's no guarentee they will gel and work for each other.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

It would be a fun Football Manager job to take on though. I hate to say it but if I were Koeman I'd offer £20m for Delph and Vlaar and see what our resolve is. You know they'd slot in well and between them cost less than Lallana.

It would be a fun Football Manager job to take on though. I hate to say it but if I were Koeman I'd offer £20m for Delph and Vlaar and see what our resolve is. You know they'd slot in well and between them cost less than Lallana.

He could probably get both for about £15m given their contract situations and our current attitude to not getting relegated next season! 

Apparently Remy failed his Liverpool medical and Liverpool are going after Rodriguez. Jack Cork is in the last year of his contract too and has been linked with Palace.

JRod might struggle with a medical too...

• Like 1

I actually like Southamption and I hate seeing them being picked apart like this. I know a lot of you have said that we shouldn't feel bad cause all the money they have gotten but still, for the fans, this is tough. Seeing the squad that they have watched and enjoyed just all leave. Even with our squad, I would be sad to see Delph, Weimann, Benteke, Vlaar, and Grealish all leave in one summer. Yes they have the money to replace those players, but it's a major risk as well. They have to try to find quality players to replace them and then those players will just up and leave them too! Modern day football. Money = wins!

They're the equivolent of the car boot sale at the moment, flogging everything that isn't nailed down.

I wonder how much of the transfer fees will be recouped given their financial pickle. Koeman to rub everybody up the wrong way and Southampton to struggle badly would be nice.

Edited by Ads

Southampton's situation is a proof how finishing 4th is the new 1st. You could create a great team, playing amazingly and still developing, but unless you get that 4th right away then your team is bound to be taken apart. Getting the money is great but they'd be no closer to 4th than they were last season even if the money is spent well, because the team will again need a season or two to gel and have a proper go. Which, if they show signs they're doing, they'd get picked apart once again next summer.

The only way to keep talented players without finishing top 4 would be to either have a great financial backing, i.e. Liverpool and Tottenham, or have some strange players like Baines who could have been any of the top 4's best left back. The gap between the top 6 teams and the rest becomes too large, which is not good for the premier league. Soon some bottom half teams will start totally tanking games away to the top teams, fielding only reserves, in order to prepare for their defining games - against the bottom 14. 

On the subject of young English players, another prime example of trying to run before you can walk is Luke Shaw. Mourinho said Southampton allowed Chelsea to speak to him but his wage demands were ridiculous, higher than players at Chelsea that have won trophies etc.

For a 19 year old kid, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Edited by samjp26

They're in a difficult situation, not only have they got to replace pretty much all of their quality players but they've got to try and get the players for a reasonable price. Teams will know they've got tonnes of cash from Liverpool and Utd so will be bumping the prices up (which is exactly what we should be doing if they come looking at Ron or Delph). Would be really surprised if they don't struggle this year. 

I forsee 2 things with Southampton

1) They will realise they havnt got 11 players to turn out on the opening day of the season, an emergency call will go out to Le Tissier.

2) Liverpool buy Le Tissier.

• Like 2

to be fair i doubt chambers can look at walcott and chamberlain and say that them not playing that much or taking ages to breakthrough has harmed their overall prospects, is it really that comparable to rodwell and sinclair, or worse IMO chalobah and mceachran? 

i dont actually rate debuchy that much either 

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 8m
I am told Schneiderlin & Rodriguez are close to linking up with former #SaintsFC boss Pochettino at #THFC. It never rains but it pours.

If true I'm wondering why Koeman took the job in the first place.

Edited by useless

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 8m

I am told Schneiderlin & Rodriguez are close to linking up with former #SaintsFC boss Pochettino at #THFC. It never rains but it pours.

If true I'm wondering why Koeman took the job in the first place.

Probably why he bought Tadic, replacement for Rodriguez on the left.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

Â