Southampton

NurembergVillan

If given the full 150m balance to play with Koeman must fancy his chances of bringing in good players.

Hard to tell, for one players and clubs now must know they are down to bare bones and have a wedge in their back pocket so that's the prices going up

Then using vlaar as an example, if they'd only sold lovren and wanted Ron to replace him would he be tempted? Maybe, who knows, but they've sold everyone... his biggest problem is going to be selling the club to top players, which again involves the wedge in the back pocket

I think they'll have a similar transfer policy to us, young players with potential that have slipped under the radar of other clubs and will no doubt see them as a stepping stone, who knows what the hit rate will be

If the season started tomorrow this is what they'd put out....

Boruc

Clyne                Fonte                         Hoovied               Jack Stephens (think he's a left back)

Ward- Prowse                     Davis           Wanyama                     Tadic

Gaston Ramierez 

Pelle

The bench is basically Jack Cork, Yoshida, Billy Sharp and then a whole host of youth products.

They are in massive trouble imo, need at least 5 quality players to strengthen that. Bottom half finish for sure.

You say that, but with a couple of signings that's as good a first team as ours. Depth has suffered though.

This S'ton situation could go either way at this point - if Koeman turns out to be a great manager and money is quickly and smartly reinvested they could end up doing just as well as last season. As it stands I still doubt they'll get relegated unless they don't reinvest at all.

We finish regularly 15th nowadays so I'm not sure the good first 11 line up as ours will reassure Saints fans that much!

I feel desperately sorry for them, in as much as I've always liked the team and they have tried to do things the right way. 

They've always been a selling team, and some of these deals are hardly surprising. Chambers, for example, represents a standard Southampton transfer, receiving a large fee for a top prospect who lacks experience. I don't feel sorry for them for that. But some of these deals feel very different to before. Fonte, for instance, is a good CB, yet it seems like they may be unable or unwilling to prevent him from leaving to go to a team in the division below. That's not normal, that's a firesale. 

They would need 5 or 6 top players to be competitive next year, and I think they'll struggle to get them all, and then get them settled, in time for the transfer window shutting. Clubs will see them coming from miles away. I wouldn't be accepting a bid of less than, say, 12m now for Vlaar if they came knocking. 

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what is actually going on at Southampton?

I've clearly missed something, are they in dire financial trouble or is this just a case of a chairman trying to make as much money as possible? I don't remember reading anything about them have financial issues

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what is actually going on at Southampton?

I've clearly missed something, are they in dire financial trouble or is this just a case of a chairman trying to make as much money as possible? I don't remember reading anything about them have financial issues

The owner died a few while back, and I think it is now run by the family who have no interest in football. Getting in the monies I would imagine and laughing all the way to the bank.

They are gettin top dollar for their players though, too much to turn down in most cases. I bet Randy would do the same if he had a queue of clubs wanting our players for those kind of fees.

I am sure they will get players (like Vlaar) in if they pay the right money. If Vlaar is offered a £10k - £15k a week payrise and a 4 year contract I'm sure he'd accept it (if it was the best offer on the table for him).

I do t feel sorry for them either, unsurprisingly our media went too far, everyone there was hyped up, they were this perfect club that everyone should try to emulate, the 4/5 England players, it was brilliantly refreshing what they were doing in the prem, best academy in the country this that and the other

It was all bollocks

Every time I saw Southampton I saw a poorer version of us when we were finishing 6th, might be the tinted specs but our team was better and we're obviously a much bigger club and far more potential to push on, we got ripped to bits and fell apart, I'd guess that pretty much everyone here saw this coming, but the rags dont want to know, Southampton won't get relegated but they'll be in the fight for a lot of the season, and no one will question it, just like no journos question what's going on with us

I don't think we ever tried to play a possession game like they did. We were just a lot more direct.

Â