Manchester United

BOF

They’ll always have the same problem though, scout a player who is rated £40-50m worth, because it’s United selling club will want £80m. Without another option United will have to pay it. Player turns out to be average at best and is considered a flop because of the fee.

They need to be cleverer in the market.

Man U have spent 10-15 years buying players at the top of their curve in terms of transfer fee plus the man u tax.

They have been trying to fast track success which rarely ever works (see Chelsea in the last 2 years). You have to build a squad under the right manager and then wait for the success to come after. Both Arteta and Klopp weren't exactly flying when they moved to their clubs, it takes time... 

I would argue McTominay is their success story. Just add 5 more of those, sprinkle some Veranes there if you need to and over 3 years you will build a team like Plop have. 

And then all you need is a good manager and you have a successful team. 

But they are not a football club, they are a business. So I guess you need Antony's to make sure kids buy the cards on FIFA. 

13 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I see man utd buying Antony for £80m, and I see Villa buying Beiley for £30m.

I see Man Utd buying Casemiro for what, £60m? I see Villa getting Kamara for free.

I see Utd buying Hojlund for £60m? How much did we pay for Watkins, £20m?

That is where the Man Utd problem is.  

I dont, it's not so much the value of these players 

I see their problem as they've signed casemiro at 30 after he's won everything and he's winding down, varane the same, they've signed Anthony on once in a lifetime lottery winning money who does not give 2 shits probably because his competition for a place in rashford, sancho and Greenwood, they've signed malacia who is a crock as cover for shaw who is a crock

Hojlund to be fair to him is putting a shift in and trying 

Mount and eriksen aren't bad players they're just simply not what they need 

They've not signed enough players to rise above the rot they've got themselves in to, instead they've signed players who have put it in to cruise control 

The most professional signing they've made is Evans and it's not surprising their best player is Mctominay who is a limited footballer but at least he runs around 

They need a cull 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I see their problem as they've signed casemiro at 30 after he's won everything and he's winding down, varane the same, they've signed Anthony on once in a lifetime lottery winning money who does not give 2 shits probably because his competition for a place in rashford, sancho and Greenwood, they've signed malacia who is a crock as cover for shaw who is a crock

They've not signed enough players to rise above the rot they've got themselves in to, instead they've signed players who have put it in to cruise control 

The most professional signing they've made is Evans and it's not surprising their best player is Mctominay who is a limited footballer but at least he runs around 

They need a cull 

Sadly I dont think with Antony that it is a case of not caring or lack of application. He is just genuinely terrible and not at all up to Prem League standards. It was kinda painful watching him come on for Utd at the weekend so obviously ill equipped to have any impact

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I would argue McTominay is their success story. Just add 5 more of those, sprinkle some Veranes there if you need to and over 3 years you will build a team like Plop have. 

And then all you need is a good manager and you have a successful team. 

But they are not a football club, they are a business. So I guess you need Antony's to make sure kids buy the cards on FIFA. 

I have said it before but I am a fan of McTominay. I saw something the other day and Rooney was saying that when McTominay broke into the first team he was a striker but they moved him back to midfield.

I’d stick him up top and **** Rashford off.

That sums them up, he comes through the academy as a striker then they play him in the middle. He keeps scoring important goals as a sub but then gets put back on the bench waiting for some minutes in midfield whilst Rashford couldn’t give 2 shits starts every week.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I have said it before but I am a fan of McTominay. I saw something the other day and Rooney was saying that when McTominay broke into the first team he was a striker but they moved him back to midfield.

I’d stick him up top and **** Rashford off.

That sums them up, he comes through the academy as a striker then they play him in the middle. He keeps scoring important goals as a sub but then gets put back on the bench waiting for some minutes in midfield whilst Rashford couldn’t give 2 shits starts every week.

he'll end up at Newcastle or West Ham rather sooner than later

5 minutes ago, Guardian_Angel_M said:

he'll end up at Newcastle or West Ham rather sooner than later

I’d love him at Villa tbh (probably one for the unpopular opinions thread).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think he would be a pretty useful signing too. Would give us more options in how to setup against different teams, and with the prospect of regular European campaigns even more so

• Like 1

On 05/03/2024 at 15:26, Genie said:

Really don't think he's good enough technically for where we are now. Under DS yes as we needed a bit more physicality in those times in central midfield and he'd have been improvement on Hourihane who did alright at times in 19/20 with goals. McTominay instead of Ross Barkley and we could've made europe in 20/21.

If we want a long term McGinn replacement then Conor Gallagher will be available for 30-40m although word is he wants to remain in London and Spurs want him.

Edited by VillaChris

On 04/03/2024 at 15:40, punkiller1981 said:

I agree he would be mad if he was offered Utd. For a guy that spent most of his career managing in some Scandinavian league then does an average job at Swansea, moves to Brighton and did a very good job within there system and ends up lasting about 4 months at Chelsea it would be crazy that he would be in the running to manage Utd but hey what do I know. 

fwiw he probably is a decent manager but his record is hardly Emery good is it 

It’s a great move for him, they are also after Ashworth as Sporting Director who worked with Potter at Brighton 

13 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Just saw that Southgate is on the list to become the next United manager. That would be an absolute dream appointment for anyone who enjoys laughing at them.

If there's a God...

Get rid of him for England and also relegate United

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2024 at 15:26, Genie said:

Me too, he and Wan Bissaka are the only 2 of their players that I'd have at Villa.

• Like 1

Interesting conversation on the Athletic Pod a few weeks ago. By being publicly traded, Man U are held to short termism to protect the share price. 

The perfect example is Anthony. Man U needed a "marquee" signing having been turned down most of the summer. They approached Ajax right at the end of the transfer window, who were delighted with 30-40 million for Anthony. Despite being happy with the fee, they declined the offer as they couldn't get a replacement in time before the end of the window, so fobbed off Man U with a 100 million Euro counter offer, or wait until the next window. To their amazement Man U agreed and signed the player!  

Despite being a limited player, to ignorant shareholder Anthonys showreel made him out to be the next Ronaldinho and the market reacted favourably. I guess the same happened with Casemiro as well after being turned down by De Jong. 

13 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Interesting conversation on the Athletic Pod a few weeks ago. By being publicly traded, Man U are held to short termism to protect the share price. 

The perfect example is Anthony. Man U needed a "marquee" signing having been turned down most of the summer. They approached Ajax right at the end of the transfer window, who were delighted with 30-40 million for Anthony. Despite being happy with the fee, they declined the offer as they couldn't get a replacement in time before the end of the window, so fobbed off Man U with a 100 million Euro counter offer, or wait until the next window. To their amazement Man U agreed and signed the player!  

Despite being a limited player, to ignorant shareholder Anthonys showreel made him out to be the next Ronaldinho and the market reacted favourably. I guess the same happened with Casemiro as well after being turned down by De Jong. 

I've always said it, Man Utd is a business, not a football club.

And it makes little financial difference to them if they win the league or finish 3rd, or win the CL or get knocked out in round of 16. 

On 05/03/2024 at 12:09, villa4europe said:

They need a cull 

It's the point that they sign players who aren't hungry and are winding down. Also loads with attitude or personal problems. 

41 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Interesting.  Makes you wonder why they didn't go all out for a marquee manager like Conte or Poch, rather than a project one like Ten Hag.

17 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Just saw that Southgate is on the list to become the next United manager. That would be an absolute dream appointment for anyone who enjoys laughing at them.

Sadly he would do such a terrible job he'd be out quite quickly, you want someone like Ole who would go on dreadful runs but then like beat City or Liverpool and get a another ten games. Basically a manager in post long term with the most potential to cause maximum fundamental and irreparable structural damage to the whole club from the core out. 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I've always said it, Man Utd is a business, not a football club.

And it makes little financial difference to them if they win the league or finish 3rd, or win the CL or get knocked out in round of 16. 

But a huge difference if they don't get the champions league. Not in any single year, but they do it for 2, and then 3, the business starts collapsing. 

Â