Manchester United

BOF

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Interesting.  Makes you wonder why they didn't go all out for a marquee manager like Conte or Poch, rather than a project one like Ten Hag.

They did in the past. LvG, Jose Mourinho. I guess EtH was the best option realistically available at the time.

7 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Interesting conversation on the Athletic Pod a few weeks ago. By being publicly traded, Man U are held to short termism to protect the share price. 

The perfect example is Anthony. Man U needed a "marquee" signing having been turned down most of the summer. They approached Ajax right at the end of the transfer window, who were delighted with 30-40 million for Anthony. Despite being happy with the fee, they declined the offer as they couldn't get a replacement in time before the end of the window, so fobbed off Man U with a 100 million Euro counter offer, or wait until the next window. To their amazement Man U agreed and signed the player!  

Despite being a limited player, to ignorant shareholder Anthonys showreel made him out to be the next Ronaldinho and the market reacted favourably. I guess the same happened with Casemiro as well after being turned down by De Jong. 

I have no idea why being a listed company is supposedly to blame for that situation. 

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have no idea why being a listed company is supposedly to blame for that situation. 

I thought it was explained quite well, because of the share holders and maintaining the share price United cannot plan to be mid-table for a while, blood some youngsters and get back to the top in 3-5 years.

They are forced to sign big names even though they are technically not right for the team and just hope it comes together.

• Thanks 1

It was interesting watching OGS speaking with Neville, Keane and Wright on their podcast.

Saying when he had Haaland at Molde he was telling United to sign him. United said they knew all about him and had reports. No action.

Then Haaland was sold to Salzburg but didn’t play for 3-4 months. OGS again telling United to sign him before he plays because he would very soon attract the top clubs and he knew he had just a €20m release clause.

United again did nothing.

Absolute shambles of a club.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

I thought it was explained quite well, because of the share holders and maintaining the share price United cannot plan to be mid-table for a while, blood some youngsters and get back to the top in 3-5 years.

They are forced to sign big names even though they are technically not right for the team and just hope it comes together.

yeah I can see that, they make "look at us still competing" style signings rather than good sensible signings, sancho, anthony even varane and casemiro, bringing ronaldo back etc etc you can make an argument for pogba too and you can go back to when city duped them in to giving alexis sanchez £300k a week

they make signings that give off the impression of them still being massive and competing when in reality they're papering over the cracks of their decline - i thought it was more down to marketing but the shareholders angle also makes sense 

they sign someone for £120m this summer and declare themselves as back, the market reacts positively to it...2 years later it transpires that £120m player is shit

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Genie said:

But that makes very little sense. 

The only shareholders that mattered when Antony was signed were the Glazers, who owned - and still do own - the large majority of the shares, and whose shares are structured to have 10x more voting power than the free-floating ones. Only a little less than a third of the shares are floated on the NYSE. This gives the other shareholders very little power. 

It's also worth recognising that the idea that Antony was signed to bump the share price is silly, mostly because Antony is an absolute nobody who most people hadn't even heard of (maybe signing Mbappe or Messi would make a difference, who knows).

Given that the Glazers own the majority of the shares, it is in some sense true that Antony was signed because he 'impressed the shareholders', because the Glazers appointed all the relevant people to the football side of the business, including Erik Ten Hag, who is clearly the person who was actually impressed by Antony. But I don't think that's what was meant really, and that has nothing to do with being listed. We signed Coutinho because our manager wanted him specifically; Everton signed James Rodriguez because their manager wanted him specifically. That's just a common aspect of football clubs, they often place a lot of trust in the manager when it comes to recruitment. It's not about being listed or not, and we and Everton are not. 

(In general terms, being a shareholder of Manchester United is a waste of time, and football clubs are a bad investment you should avoid in most cases:)

mufc.png

Now talking about a task force to look into the Old Trafford regeneration. Task Force ? Seriously? Last time i remember a task force was when we went to war with Argentina over the Falklands.  First Wembley of the North. Now this. Its obviously marketing driven to get interest by using such words, but they need to reign it in a bit.  Ratcliffe thinks they are a national treasure. They arent

12 hours ago, Genie said:

It was interesting watching OGS speaking with Neville, Keane and Wright on their podcast.

Saying when he had Haaland at Molde he was telling United to sign him. United said they knew all about him and had reports. No action.

Then Haaland was sold to Salzburg but didn’t play for 3-4 months. OGS again telling United to sign him before he plays because he would very soon attract the top clubs and he knew he had just a €20m release clause.

They’re a shambles of a club but I don’t think not trusting OGS is one of their worst sins. He reminds me a bit of Tim Sherwood with the way he talks about Haaland. He happened to manage him early in his career but OGS’s later transfer dealings don’t suggest he had any particular niche at spotting talent 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I still think his Dad would've stepped in and blocked that. He did play for Leeds and Man. City after all. Probably advised him to go to a Dortmund type team first and then he'd get an elite CL team after him and it's happened.

Around 2019 they were also giving Jude Bellingham a tour round the training ground weren't they? He'd have revolutionised that midfield if they'd been patient for 18 months so pretty glad that didn't happen and they're going to have yet another rebuild of that area in the summer.

Man. United currently just aren't that big a draw for players in the 23-26 year old bracket so they're having to take chances on young players who don't have huge potential or go for guys like Casemiro and Eriksen who can do a good job for a year but then quickly decline and then need replacing.

Interesting what their first 2-3 signings are in the summer as I imagine if they miss out on CL income that will hurt them a bit with FFP.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I still think his Dad would've stepped in and blocked that. He did play for Leeds and Man. City after all. Probably advised him to go to a Dortmund type team first and then he'd get an elite CL team after him and it's happened.

Around 2019 they were also giving Jude Bellingham a tour round the training ground weren't they? He'd have revolutionised that midfield if they'd been patient for 18 months so pretty glad that didn't happen and they're going to have yet another rebuild of that area in the summer.

Man. United currently just aren't that big a draw for players in the 23-26 year old bracket so they're having to take chances on young players who don't have huge potential or go for guys like Casemiro and Eriksen who can do a good job for a year but then quickly decline and then need replacing.

Interesting what their first 2-3 signings are in the summer as I imagine if they miss out on CL income that will hurt them a bit with FFP.

Imagine Haaland and Bellingham careers ruined at United with the mismanagement at the club

They ruined Martial, Sancho, Lindelof and Rashford potential among others

15 hours ago, Genie said:

Still, they're in 6th, and they've still proven very dangerous this year -- at times. Until the dragon is dead, and its head buried in the Irish Sea, I won't relax. 😉

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They ruined Martial, Sancho, Lindelof and Rashford potential among others

They're ruined all right. I think their combined salaries at one point was around £50m a year.  😉😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I thought it was interesting he said players didn't want to be captain too. 

Just now, villan95 said:

I thought it was interesting he said players didn't want to be captain too. 

Yeah, I’d heard that before. Players getting a message back to the manager via other coaches they didn’t want it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villan95 said:

Hopefully someone buys Garnacho soon. He's their only spark in the final third.

They need to hold out for as long as possible before giving him a new deal as history suggests he’ll down tools once he has his payday.

• Like 1

They were pathetic today and if Everton had any idea what to do in the final third they would have lost.

Its a miracle they are 6th and not because of the injuries.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 09:54, duke313 said:

Interesting.  Makes you wonder why they didn't go all out for a marquee manager like Conte or Poch, rather than a project one like Ten Hag.

Not really, they had the marquee signing in Mourinho, love him or hate him, he’s a winner. They had to go for someone like Ten Hag, to build a new style. Ten Hag, then got criticised and changes his whole style 

Going to reiterate again. A task force being put together at old Trafford. .simply insane to call thenselves that. Its **** Salford not the Falklands you tw*ts 

• Haha 1

Â