Manchester United

BOF

Be hilarious when Gary Neville is waxing lyical that Potter is the new Fergie while United are struggling in 15th as he wasnt a Glazer man

• Haha 2

Tough one for Potter, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to sort out the mess and it’ll be a lot of stress… but then he’ll probably get £5-8m a year x 4 or 5 to take the edge off.

Potter would be mad to turn them down. End of the day he’s an out of work manager and it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

For some reason I feel like it could be a good match although not to the levels of winning the league. Not even sure what success is to United fans these days. You would think a cup and champs league would be enough but clearly not 😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mantis said:

They weren't *terrible* but I think the way they were setup meant that getting a result relied on an incredible amount of luck (City missing chance after chance after chance).

That’s how they’ve got a lot of results

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Potter would be mad to turn them down. End of the day he’s an out of work manager and it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

For some reason I feel like it could be a good match although not to the levels of winning the league. Not even sure what success is to United fans these days. You would think a cup and champs league would be enough but clearly not 😂

I agree he would be mad if he was offered Utd. For a guy that spent most of his career managing in some Scandinavian league then does an average job at Swansea, moves to Brighton and did a very good job within there system and ends up lasting about 4 months at Chelsea it would be crazy that he would be in the running to manage Utd but hey what do I know. 

fwiw he probably is a decent manager but his record is hardly Emery good is it 

Why do people always discredit anything achieved by players or coaches at Brighton as “but it was in a system”? 
I keep reading it, like they are playing a different sport or something. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why do people always discredit anything achieved by players or coaches at Brighton as “but it was in a system”? 
I keep reading it, like they are playing a different sport or something. 

I think because a lot of them have failed elsewhere since leaving

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think because a lot of them have failed elsewhere since leaving

I assume that’s the Chelsea brigade, I’m not sure they failed really. They were average PL players that Chelsea spent insane amounts on and to nobody’s surprise they aren’t doing anything special at Chelsea.

Lots of Brighton departures have done fairly well. Maupay, Mac Allister, White, Burn, Trossard.

Potter is a decent manager, but nothing special. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if United hired him. He would keep them in that 6-8th range which is where seems to be their level these days.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought Potter was holding out for the England job with Southgate leaves we lose on penalties in the quarter-finals again.

Sareth will still be in England manager when we’re all long gone 

Some fun stats

Ten Hag has now lost 28 of his 100 games as United manager 

Mourinho had 29 losses in 144 games before being sacked 

Ten Hag is also 1 goal away from conceding as many as Mourinho in 44 less games

Alarm bells should've rung at United when Ten Hag just wanted to recruit anyone who's played for Ajax. 

I mean how is that ever gonna work in the prem and how limited is that perspective. 

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some fun stats

Ten Hag has now lost 28 of his 100 games as United manager 

Mourinho had 29 losses in 144 games before being sacked 

Ten Hag is also 1 goal away from conceding as many as Mourinho in 44 less games

Lmao. Bring back Ollie. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Alarm bells should've rung at United when Ten Hag just wanted to recruit anyone who's played for Ajax. 

I mean how is that ever gonna work in the prem and how limited is that perspective. 

There is nothing wrong with taking people from your old clubs (Certain Dean Smith along with Watkins & Konsa might agree with this). 

There is nothing wrong with signing Antony either - he clearly is a capable player.

What is wrong is getting a player like Antony into a team that is performing below expectations, making him a star £80m transfer and expecting him to have great numbers. He won't.

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

There is nothing wrong with taking people from your old clubs (Certain Dean Smith along with Watkins & Konsa might agree with this). 

There is nothing wrong with signing Antony either - he clearly is a capable player.

What is wrong is getting a player like Antony into a team that is performing below expectations, making him a star £80m transfer and expecting him to have great numbers. He won't.

i dunno....

you're right though, utd should be making signings with a lot of due diligence on their character, a lot of utds problems don't stem from an ability to kick a football

not sure how many ajax players he wanted to sign either, martinez isnt brilliant but he's their best defender, anthony has been a disaster (but no worse than sancho) and malacia will be appearing on the side of milk cartons soon but i cant remember them being linked with many others, injury aside Timber should be a good signing for arsenal and would walk in to utds team, gravenberch too

Verane and Casemiro have gone down hill faster than a fat kid on a sledge

Sancho, Rashford, Anthony, Martial,  Fernandes all seem to have terrible attitudes and massively out of form.

Onana has settled a bit but is still not great

Erikson, remember him?

Mount, a rare Chelsea transfer market success story

Hojlund and Garnacho look like they might develop into good players in time but who knows.

The bench against City was as bad as anything I’ve seen in 40 years 

Kambwala, Amrabat, Antony, Forson, Bayindir, Ogunneye, Erikson, Collyer and Ahmad. 

To say they need to overhaul the squad is an understatement. 

22 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I don't know, the other side of the coin is that his stock didn't take a complete pounding after Chelsea due to Poch doing so badly there, so it was kind of a free hit, but if he fails at Man United as well, he's probably done at that tier of club.

Man United is one of the biggest clubs in the world but is also a complete basket case and the squad is a mess. He might be better off waiting for a slightly more stable club, but yeah, it's hard to see another one coming along anytime soon the size of Man United - the England job is a possibility though.

On the other hand, I guess you don't become a PL manager without having the confidence/arrogance to believe you've got what it takes to fix a problem like Man United.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dunno....

you're right though, utd should be making signings with a lot of due diligence on their character, a lot of utds problems don't stem from an ability to kick a football

not sure how many ajax players he wanted to sign either, martinez isnt brilliant but he's their best defender, anthony has been a disaster (but no worse than sancho) and malacia will be appearing on the side of milk cartons soon but i cant remember them being linked with many others, injury aside Timber should be a good signing for arsenal and would walk in to utds team, gravenberch too

I see man utd buying Antony for £80m, and I see Villa buying Beiley for £30m.

I see Man Utd buying Casemiro for what, £60m? I see Villa getting Kamara for free.

I see Utd buying Hojlund for £60m? How much did we pay for Watkins, £20m?

That is where the Man Utd problem is.  

Â