Manchester United

BOF

8 minutes ago, Skruff said:

I think the result is more down to Mourinho not being there, then OGS being there.

Great start though! 

I don't know. They didn't play great when Giggs were their caretaker manager.

Time will really tell though

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know. They didn't play great when Giggs were their caretaker manager.

Time will really tell though

They won their first game 4-0 v Norwich under Giggs.

Think Man. United fans are just happy they saw some attacking football for a change but Cardiff can still easily get relegated.

If Man. United start playing like that v likes of Leicester, Everton, Wolves and Bournemouth that will be progress.

3 hours ago, Xela said:

If you are paid £200k a week you should sweat blood every single day for the team

They're employees. Money doesn't come into it... they need to be motivated and treated right by their bosses like everyone else, or they won't give their best.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

They're employees. Money doesn't come into it... they need to be motivated and treated right by their bosses like everyone else, or they won't give their best.

Exactly, I can't believe people are still sticking up for Jose.  Fair enough if it was a one off but it's happened at every club he has been at in recent years.  The man is an idiot for slagging off his players over and over again in public, not to mention his shit out of date tactics.

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

You go in and give your best every day.

You think it would be acceptable for a surgeon/doctor to botch an operation because he wasn't happy at how the NHS is being run?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

You think it would be acceptable for a surgeon/doctor to botch an operation because he wasn't happy at how the NHS is being run?

Humans are human. I think if an NHS Dr. was asked to stay late by a boss they didn’t rate, they might say “stuff that, if you can’t organise a roster properly that’s your fault ” or whatever. Everyone has their lines. People will do more, try harder for those they respect/like/admire. Managers “losing the dressing room” is a thing because people are people. 

• Like 4

I think both Jose and the players were to blame. But Jose has a proven track record of being a dick and it’s easier to get rid of one manager. 

My gut feeling, based on not much else, is they won’t be challenging for the title while Woodward is running the club.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how much you earn. If you are not valued or treated with respect you are not going to perform at your best.

Out of school I was working in warehouses and DCs.
There were gaffers I would run through brick walls for even on minimum wage and there were gaffers I would down tools for. **** em.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I think both Jose and the players were to blame. But Jose has a proven track record of being a dick and it’s easier to get rid of one manager. 

My gut feeling, based on not much else, is they won’t be challenging for the title while Woodward is running the club.

Mainly Jose i would say. Pogba, Martial, Lingard are all attacking players and Jose kept telling them to sit back and defend.

No wonder the players get unhappy, some managers just arent fit for certain clubs.

I don't think OGS have what it takes at the highest level, Poch or Zidane in the summer i bet

8 hours ago, Xela said:

A footballer not playing very well isn't going to kill someone. That's probably the difference there.

Everyone is motivated in different ways. 

Money is only really a motivator when you don't have it. When you get to the levels of elite footballers it's just a number. Being told you're paid 200k a week doesn't motivate you.

30 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I hope Pochettino doesn’t leave for United. I quite like him. If only to keep the balance in the league as no doubt once he departs Spurs they will crash down as a team with players wanting to leave etc. 

I think he has taken Spurs as far as they can go.

It's near impossible to overtake City and Liverpool when they spend so much more money than you

Pogba with 2 goals and 3 assists in 2 games since Mou left.

Granted against terrible teams, but still.

More than one side to this story as Pogba should have played better and been more professional while Mou was there, but it also shows Pogba is a real player when allowed to be.

Added him to my fantasy team as soon as Mou was sacked :D 

On 22/12/2018 at 21:52, Genie said:

From a long way back I thought Jose was working towards getting the sack. The fact he never moved out of the hotel supports that theory.

Far too much made of the hotel thing. It's not like he was staying in a travelodge, it was a luxury apartment with a kitchen,bathroom, lounge & dining room with a baby grand piano. not only that he has a full cleaning service for the room & clothes, meals on demand and security etc. Quite handy when you are coming & going at random hours every day.

Why would him renting a house/apartment on his own somewhere be any better? If the rumoured half a million bill is to be believed i am sure a house/apartment + cleaner & food etc would be the same, if not more than this anyway.

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Far too much made of the hotel thing. It's not like he was staying in a travelodge, it was a luxury apartment with a kitchen,bathroom, lounge & dining room with a baby grand piano. not only that he has a full cleaning service for the room & clothes, meals on demand and security etc. Quite handy when you are coming & going at random hours every day.

Why would him renting a house/apartment on his own somewhere be any better? If the rumoured half a million bill is to be believed i am sure a house/apartment + cleaner & food etc would be the same, if not more than this anyway.

I think its more that if he had long term ambitions he would have brought his family with him. They are living in London so not bringing them from abroad

• Like 1

It just gives off a feeling of “well there’s no point in unpacking all my boxes as I don’t plan on seeing this out”. It just went hand in hand with the grumpy, my heart’s not in this kinda vibe he gave off for a lot of the time he was there.

I know most jobs in football are temporary, but as far as I’m aware few live in hotels on a permanent basis. And the vast majority don’t have either Jose’s or Man Utd’s resources, so I don’t think money really came into it.

Plus, as petty as it may sound, at the very least it was something else people could talk about and speculate on other than Man Utd’s poor performances/results. Sounds daft, but y’know, people actually did bring up the hotel thing from time to time.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

Â