Manchester United

BOF

11 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This bigger club discussion makes me wonder...this is the third appointment that has broadly speaking been “wrong”.

Hypothetically how many more appointments or how many more years would it take before Utd no longer hold their huge club status, are no longer the marketable global brand that they still are? Essentially get completely cut adrift from Liverpool, Man City etc and become like Everton. 

Five years? Ten years? Or is the size of the club so big that this isn’t a concern at all?

They'll get one right eventually and I imagine that will mean they're back competiting for league and CL. It's a little like us and our useless managerial appointments since 2010. DS feels like a good 'un and that should mean we rise from now on.

They gambled on Moyes from a Fergie hunch and that blew up. LVG was just too old and bat crazy when he turned up to work. I did think Mourinho would do well as it seemed to me he had the personality needed to manage Man. United and had won the league a year before at Chelsea but I was wrong.

Their problem seems to be their timing has meant they've missed out on genuinely exciting managerial appointments with proper vision. When Fergie announced he was retiring Guardiola had already agreed to join Bayern so that was one lost and they still had LVG when Klopp was on his sabbatical.

I can certainly see them going for Pochettino in the summer and he would suit them but good luck scrapping with Levy over him given how it's war when you try to sign a key player from them.

• Like 2

Started me thinking about that youth team. Anyone else remember Bobby Charlton's soccer schools? (Might still exist for all I know)

They were very popular when I was a kid and it also served as a massive scouting network for Man Utd. Bit clever/naughty when you think about it. Big name ex-player getting all the young football players in the country to come on a footy camp for a week or two allowing you to pick the cream of the crop for trials at UTD. Beckham was certainly discovered that way.

15 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

ManU were an also ran club until Ferguson arrived and if they become one again its no loss to football.

Liverpool vs ManCity is a more interesting rivalry for the league anyway.

Man U could get relegated to League 1 and I wouldnt give a toss.

Man City is everything United is, but produced out of thin air by an oil heir. 

He might be ok as an interim to be fair.

I always say, following a manager like Mourinho is when managers like Pardew and Sherwood get success (I'm not for one second suggesting United should hire them!)

What I mean is teams that are playing for a manager with a particular style, disciplined, defensive fall into a rut and the results go south. Then you get a manager in who is the opposite of that. Old school "just go out and play!". And the players will flourish for a while because suddenly they don't have to play this awful, disciplined, defensive football.

Long term it doesn't work because once that bounce wears off the managers don't have the tactical ability to halt the slide. But they usually get short term results.

If OGS comes in and does that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get significantly better in the short term, almost by accident.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Players bringing out a fashion line feels like the modern equivalent of when players used to release singles.

Edit - thought I was in the “The Game’s Gone” thread.

TBF it kinda is :D 

• Haha 1

Â