VillaGoMarching

I do think potentially they have a non football problem mentally, they gave up under Poch they gave up under Jose and both managers took the flak from the press, not sure if there are underlying confidence or just laziness issues there, maybe the pressure of the expectation or even the belief that Levy is holding them back and they buy in to what the press say about him being tight 

Stuff like that is a bastard to shake, plagues arsenal and to a lesser extent utd too

They're a team struggling with identity, expectation and reality and the fact that you can't shoe horn everyone in to the top 4 let alone the top 1 and at times I think the players know it and show it, they have no forward momentum at the moment, they're in danger of stagnating, any buzz they had about them from the CL final and stadium has gone 

Long may it continue 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think what makes it worse for Spurs and Arsenal fans is that Chelsea are obviously a much smaller club historically, and yet are still streets ahead of both of them even though they have shiny new (well newish) 60,000 stadiums compared to Stamford Bridge which actually has a lower capacity than Villa Park. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Abramovich does decide to sell up.

Thing is, history changes all the time and Chelsea are now a bigger club than Spurs and have won more honours in their history. 

Same with Man City. Although the 'old guard' like us don't like it, the history books now state they have won more major honours. It doesn't specify they were purchased by rich owners. 

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thing is, history changes all the time and Chelsea are now a bigger club than Spurs and have won more honours in their history. 

Same with Man City. Although the 'old guard' like us don't like it, the history books now state they have won more major honours. It doesn't specify they were purchased by rich owners. 

I hate to be this guy, but that's exactly what it says, all though some what paraphrased. They can buy success with dirty money all they want, but history knows that. Wiki has a minor section on their entire history, i.e. 100 + years, then this comes right under it.

"In 2008, Manchester City was purchased by Abu Dhabi United Group for £210 million and received considerable financial investment in both playing staff and club facilities, including the £150 million Etihad Campus in east Manchester.[5] Under the management of Pep Guardiola the team won the Premier League in 2018, becoming the only Premier League team to attain 100 points in a single season. In 2019, they won four trophies, completing an unprecedented sweep of all domestic trophies in England and becoming the first English men's team to win the domestic treble.[6]"

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

10 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Still haven't forgiven Ryan Mason for this.

benteke-mason

If I'm not mistaken, that's also the game that launched Harry Kane's career with a deflected free kick in stoppage time of Nathan Baker. Hasn't scored a free kick since but still tries every game :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphouneso said:

Still haven't forgiven Ryan Mason for this.

benteke-mason

I remember wishing bad things on him after this.  Feel kind of bad now considering how it panned out for him. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If I'm not mistaken, that's also the game that launched Harry Kane's career with a deflected free kick in stoppage time of Nathan Baker. Hasn't scored a free kick since but still tries every game :D

Wouldn’t even call that a successful free kick 😂

I think was his 1st league goal but some commentators like that idiot Tyler made him out to be some free kick expert 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wouldn’t even call that a successful free kick 😂

I think was his 1st league goal but some commentators like that idiot Tyler made him out to be some free kick expert 

Nah I'm fairly certain he scored a few under Sherwood the season before. But it was so annoying, that whole game made me so mad. I was kind of happy for Kane though as he was tearing it up in the Europa League and League Cup and he deserved a chance ahead of Soldado who was a bust. He just had to get the ball rolling against us though, so typical.

31 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Nuno Santo will be the next manager I bet as he’s leaving wolves 

Levy just said he wanted to bring in a manager with attacking football. Not sure Nuno fits the bill

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nah I'm fairly certain he scored a few under Sherwood the season before. But it was so annoying, that whole game made me so mad. I was kind of happy for Kane though as he was tearing it up in the Europa League and League Cup and he deserved a chance ahead of Soldado who was a bust. He just had to get the ball rolling against us though, so typical.

Yup. From the horse's mouth:

"Mauricio was great from the moment he came in. He came in and I was a starter and I was straight in the team but it actually took a little two-three month period. I had an injury the season before at the end of the season, I came back to pre-season a little overweight.

"I just wasn't as sharp as I could've been. He was the perfect guy for me to come into because we worked so hard, training was so tough. We did a lot of work in the gym. I was at a real development stage of my career. I was kind of just developing into my body and things like that and with that extra training, extra gym work, his guidance in that aspect," Kane said.

"He gave me a lot of confidence. I'd been playing in the Europa League with him, scoring goals and waiting for that opportunity in the Premier League. Thankfully the goal at Villa away. I scored that deflected free-kick - from then, I obviously pretty much started every game with him.

He was a machine that season. People were calling him a 1 season wonder after that, but I can tell from those Europa League appearances that he was the real deal. He had the finishing of someone who put hours in on the training pitch. He could put it into the bottom corner with his eyes closed. Kind of miss that Kane. I'm not sure I like this new playmaking hybrid Kane as much. 

The moment they failed to sign Jack summed up their failure, a lack of football sense at the expense of financial sense, Levys strength bit them on their arse, it was the point they should have gone for broke , he never saw the chance because he's strength isn't football,  it finance. 

If they had signed Jack they would have been top 4 or maybe even champions. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

The moment they failed to sign Jack summed up their failure, a lack of football sense at the expense of financial sense, Levys strength bit them on their arse, it was the point they should have gone for broke , he never saw the chance because he's strength isn't football,  it finance. 

If they had signed Jack they would have been top 4 or maybe even champions. 

They could have won the CL that season, not even exaggerating.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 15:33, villa4europe said:

I do think potentially they have a non football problem mentally, they gave up under Poch they gave up under Jose and both managers took the flak from the press, not sure if there are underlying confidence or just laziness issues there, maybe the pressure of the expectation or even the belief that Levy is holding them back and they buy in to what the press say about him being tight 

Stuff like that is a bastard to shake, plagues arsenal and to a lesser extent utd too

They're a team struggling with identity, expectation and reality and the fact that you can't shoe horn everyone in to the top 4 let alone the top 1 and at times I think the players know it and show it, they have no forward momentum at the moment, they're in danger of stagnating, any buzz they had about them from the CL final and stadium has gone 

Long may it continue 

Don't think it's as bad as what Everton have got. They could easily finish 10th looking at the final day fixtures so given they've been top 6-7 most of the season that would be a massive blow especially as half their annual signings are short term moves and that won't change if they're bringing in Coutinho.

No idea whatsoever what their plan is especially for post Ancelotti.

They'll also have the new stadium issue to deal with in 2-3 years aswell.

• Like 1

I watched ‘The Overlap’ interview with Gary Neville and Harry Kane last night on YouTube. 

Really enjoyed it to be fair. It’s the most airtime I’ve ever seen Kane have, and he this was the interview where he said he wants a conversation with Levy. 

He seems ridiculously motivated and backs himself to beat Shearer’s Prem record and Rooney’s England record. If he stays fit for the next 4 or 5 seasons then I think he will do both. He’s the type of player who could still play top level at 35 due to his football intelligence. 

That £175m loan they need to pay back could really cripple them. Worst case scenario they sell Kane and still don't have enough to pay it off. They will not be competing for some time. Just shows the desperation that was driving the Super League plan. 

• Like 2

On 21/05/2021 at 00:45, Keyblade said:

Pretty sure we helped Soldado score his first goal in ages as well. First non-penalty goal or something.

• Like 1

Â