VillaGoMarching

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Newcastle in the Keegan to Robson era? Came 2nd twice in the league, and got to 2 FA Cup finals and won sweet FA.

Yeah that’s the only other club that comes to mind. 

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

Spurs will be fine IMHO - £120 mill for Kane, there will be a good manager out there who will welcome a healthy budget. That said, if they don't reinvest they could be stuffed. 

depends how you define fine

personally i think they're the 5th best team in the league but the distance between them and us is closer than the distance between them and city so them getting EL or flirting with CL is actually a decent season, should be competing better in the cups

what i think spurs fans expect is comfortably stable in the CL places whilst also flirting with winning the league and actually winning some cups - they're not that, selling Kane wont make them that either

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

depends how you define fine

personally i think they're the 5th best team in the league but the distance between them and us is closer than the distance between them and city so them getting EL or flirting with CL is actually a decent season, should be competing better in the cups

what i think spurs fans expect is comfortably stable in the CL places whilst also flirting with winning the league and actually winning some cups - they're not that, selling Kane wont make them that either

Yeah lots of glee watching the gap between their fans' expectations and Levy's wallet next season. Them and Arsenal may never again show any ambition in this league unwilling and unable to outspend their rivals and slowly moving backwards as others move ahead (Leicester) and others catch up - i.e. us. Spurs have a big problem next season, a new manager and new key squad members to hit the ground running - I think we could easily swap places with them. 

• Like 1

So Spurs play away to Leicester, who are in full CL fight and West Ham play Southampton at home. Unfortunately Everton are away at Man City. So it is very likely Spurs get the Conference League ticket in 7th, not even Europa League. I can imagine this makes Kane want to leave even more and maybe a few others will walk out as well (Son?).

Our victory could have really hit Tottenham hard and set them back a few years which makes it more likely for us to overtake them

• Like 1

I think what makes it worse for Spurs and Arsenal fans is that Chelsea are obviously a much smaller club historically, and yet are still streets ahead of both of them even though they have shiny new (well newish) 60,000 stadiums compared to Stamford Bridge which actually has a lower capacity than Villa Park. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Abramovich does decide to sell up.

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think what makes it worse for Spurs and Arsenal fans is that Chelsea are obviously a much smaller club historically, and yet are still streets ahead of both of them even though they have shiny new (well newish) 60,000 stadiums compared to Stamford Bridge which actually has a lower capacity than Villa Park. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Abramovich does decide to sell up.

See - Blackburn 

Staggeringly, I actually feel sorry for Spurs fans. As a club, before this season, they've done everything right over the last few years, including the development of a youth prospect into a world class striker. The haven't spent the kind of vulgar money the likes of Man United or even Arsenal can, and yet competed for top honours over several seasons, only to fall short.

Starting CM was a youth product too (and England International)

They've lost some good youth prospects though, had a wave of them go about 3 years ago, madueke is breaking through at PSV, Griffiths should break through at lyon next year, I'm sure they lost one of their best players to utd as well, the guy who was in charge of their acadamy for 15 years got poached by the FA too

Skipp, scarlett and parrott there next year for the EL conference, could be the making of them, Carter vickers is still there too

No way do I think Spurs will be fine. They are massively in debt. They are following the Arse path. Build  a brand new stadium for 100's of millions then have to sell their best players to pay for it, Only arsenal were never in as much debt as Spurs  a younger team and more saleable players

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Starting CM was a youth product too (and England International)

They've lost some good youth prospects though, had a wave of them go about 3 years ago, madueke is breaking through at PSV, Griffiths should break through at lyon next year, I'm sure they lost one of their best players to utd as well, the guy who was in charge of their acadamy for 15 years got poached by the FA too

Skipp, scarlett and parrott there next year for the EL conference, could be the making of them, Carter vickers is still there too

Parrott has done nothing on loan at Millwall so can't see him being in the mix at all. Skipp done very well at Norwich and would make sense for him to stay there and learn about premier league but seems there's a push from Spurs to get him back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

As a club, before this season, they've done everything right over the last few years, including the development of a youth prospect into a world class striker. The haven't spent the kind of vulgar money the likes of Man United or even Arsenal can, and yet competed for top honours over several seasons, only to fall short.

and that also shows how hard it will be for us to break into the European places and especially the Champions League places.

6 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Dier and winks have 55 England caps between them. 

Hardly surprising. Southgate saw Livermore as a ball playing midfielder at one point.

Players who keep the ball do sod all with it but give 110% and roll up their sleeves lickidy split

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Staggeringly, I actually feel sorry for Spurs fans. As a club, before this season, they've done everything right over the last few years, including the development of a youth prospect into a world class striker. The haven't spent the kind of vulgar money the likes of Man United or even Arsenal can, and yet competed for top honours over several seasons, only to fall short.

In the last 3 seasons they have continually made big mistakes, not backing Poch then sacking him for Mourinho, what happened with Eriksen and inability to replace players they let go

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In the last 3 seasons they have continually made big mistakes, not backing Poch then sacking him for Mourinho, what happened with Eriksen and inability to replace players they let go

True, but the stadium had to be paid for. Anyway, the relative decline of such clubs as Spurs and Arsenal is the perfect opportunity for us to reach the next level.

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

At least they made the decision to showcase it all on amazon... 

Â