Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

The sheer amount of people that think that drinking water helps cool you down when you are eating spicy food.

It does not, it opens your taste buds and therefore makes it even spicier. If you are eating mega hot food and you are struggling DO NOT drink water (or beer for that matter).

I sometimes drink water with my food to make it spicier if necessary.

I am at work today because the Dutch refuse to grasp the concept that a Sunday does not count as a bank holiday.

They are clueless when it comes to things like this.

It must be Hell only having 10 bank holidays this year? :?

I am at work today because the Dutch refuse to grasp the concept that a Sunday does not count as a bank holiday.

If they fall on a Saturday and Sunday then we lose them + they are all used by April, so from then to end of year F All.

What's the point of having a Wednesday or Thursday as a bank holiday ?

How is it 10 anyway, I thought it was 8.

If they fall on a Saturday and Sunday then we lose them + they are all used by April, so from then to end of year F All.

What's the point of having a Wednesday or Thursday as a bank holiday ?

How is it 10 anyway, I thought it was 8.

I thought it was 10? They usually have more days off than we do, including the Queen's birthday as a public holiday.

Maybe they just didn't tell you :winkold:

Seriously, how the **** can darts be considered a sport?
:nod:

If it is, then so is dominos.

And golf.

(I've long been of the view that the best definition of sport (in the non-Hemingway context) is physical competition where one can "play defense", that is to say, [legally] act in such a way as to impede your opponent... auto racing is borderline under this definition, but darts, golf, etc. are firmly on the "not sport" side of the line)

Would that not make most athletic events 'not sports'?

I usually argue that a sport is any competitive event requiring physical ability, be that skill (which would include darts), or simply physical capacity (speed, strength, endurance).

Whereas a game is something were people compete on a largely physical level playing and compe to win largely mentally and/or on luck. So chess, e-sports, aren't sports.

I tend to think of a sport as any kind of competition requiring a degree of skill where other people care about the result. It is something which can be sold as entertainment. If being able to "play defence" and impede your opponent is the definition then pretty much everything which happens in the Olympic Stadium in six months time is not a sport. You cant impede your opponents in the long jump, or the 100m dash (etc) yet they are some of the most popular sports on the planet when Olympic finals day arrives.

If you play a game of any kind and you have fans, then you can call it a sport. Yes, athletic sports tend to be the most popular, but trying to say something which doesnt make you sweat isnt a sport seems daft to me. Usain Bolt will always be more famous than some guy who plays snooker, or darts or Starcraft 2 for a living and I think that is really all that is needed. There is a natural level of prestige which doesnt need to be defined to the nth degree.

We've had this discussion a million times.

For me, the best definition is if a game has an element of organised competition to it, then it's a sport.

If I go out for a jog, it's not a sport. If I'm running against other people in a race, and the aim is to beat those people, it's a sport.

If I go to the park with mates and we play keepy ups with a football, it's not a sport. If that turns into a game of five aside, it's a sport.

There will obviously be grey areas. But Darts is a sport for me.

A shit sport. But sport nonetheless.

I don't really care about the definition. I just can't understand why anybody would want to watch it (let alone broadcast it on TV).

Darts is a fun game to play with your mates down the pub. I like the odd game myself. But professional darts??? ****. Right. Off.

I think even someone who is opposed to considering darts a sport would think that comparison is disingenuous Mike.
Yeah, I was being facetious.

But I do regard darts in much the same light as Cluedo (or skittles, or shove-ha'penny, or dominos, etc., etc.) - a fun pastime, not to be taken too (read: at all) seriously.

My Erdington Gp's appontment system! :evil:

The system does not favour the working man! Again I have just phoned to get an appointment and failed.

Only one night a week do they have a late night appointment session and even then the latest is 18:30, when I ring up to get that one its always gone even if I ring as it opens. I explain that I dont finish work until half 5 and have to get there still.

They told me that they do Saturday mornings and after an hour waiting in the cold I find there are only 2 appointments alloted for this and even if I managed to get the 2nd of those I have to wait an hour. Its hit and miss if you get one of those.

I pay full national insurance and for my presecriptions yet the appointment system favours those unfortunate (or in this case fortunate) enough not to work! :evil:

My Erdington Gp's appontment system! :evil:

The system does not favour the working man! Again I have just phoned to get an appointment and failed.

Only one night a week do they have a late night appointment session and even then the latest is 18:30, when I ring up to get that one its always gone even if I ring as it opens. I explain that I dont finish work until half 5 and have to get there still.

They told me that they do Saturday mornings and after an hour waiting in the cold I find there are only 2 appointments alloted for this and even if I managed to get the 2nd of those I have to wait an hour. Its hit and miss if you get one of those.

I pay full national insurance and for my presecriptions yet the appointment system favours those unfortunate (or in this case fortunate) enough not to work! :evil:

My GP annoys me. Why can you only book up to 48 hours in advance??? Then when you do ring up you get told there are no appointments in that time frame.

I do not have a cold, the ailment will not disappear in 48 hours so make me an effing appointment!!!!

My old surgery was great, 24 hours in advance and that was it!

I did have a complaint once when I rang, they told me that the computer was down so they could not book me in at that time and to ring back, I did this 6 times and was told the same thing and they did not take it well when I suggested that they take a pen and paper, make some lines with a ruler and book them manually onto a sheet and just enter them when the computer was back up :evil:

Â