Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

From the BBC, sounds to me like the word removed is head butting the wall, I’d say suicide risk is unbelievably high.

Very odd situation, something does seem unusual with this story.

He knows he will have a very hard time in prison (rightly so), as an ex cop. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

At the very least, the police vetting procedure must have been pretty slack when they employed him. 

I think they're desperate for people to join. The entry requirements have been diluted over time and even people who join, leave after a few years as its not worth the hassle or hate you get now. It used to a career, now its just a job. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I think they're desperate for people to join. The entry requirements have been diluted over time and even people who join, leave after a few years as its not worth the hassle or hate you get now. It used to a career, now its just a job. 

Police in the USA accept neo Nazis! There are plenty of good police, but far too many of them have mistreated people for way too long. I'm talking about American police, but I'm sure you've had plenty of homegrown police belligerence and misconduct besides this killer cop.

Unfortunately the slogans last summer to "Defund the Police" are problematic. "Reform the police" should have been the slogan.

Black Lives Matter is another terrible slogan. I support the movement, but the name is clumsy and gives the opposition an opening, just like "defund".

They need a better public relations arm.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Police in the USA accept neo Nazis! There are plenty of good police, but far too many of them have mistreated people for way too long. I'm talking about American police, but I'm sure you've had plenty of homegrown police belligerence and misconduct besides this killer cop.

Unfortunately the slogans last summer to "Defund the Police" are problematic. "Reform the police" should have been the slogan.

Black Lives Matter is another terrible slogan. I support the movement, but the name is clumsy and gives the opposition an opening, just like "defund".

They need a better public relations arm.

Which nation?

On 12/03/2021 at 11:10, mottaloo said:

Oh and another thing that pisses me off but shouldn't is when folk refer to the Nike logo as a tick - its not, its a swoosh stripe !!

Strictly speaking it's just the Swoosh, not stripe.

It comes from an early advertising campaign when they were one of the first to make nylon running shoes which testers said made a "swoosh" sound as they ran.

They pitched themselves as "the brand with the swoosh" and at some point the logo became known as that.

19 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Where do you draw the line? Joe Mercer used to call Johann Cruyff "Joanne Cruff", which made me cringe. By and large, I feel we should try and pronounce non-English words (particularly people's names) correctly. Although there is an issue with how far you go with laying on an accent with a trowel. It does sound pretty daft if you speak with your normal accent, but in the middle of a sentence you come out with an overdone attempt at authenticity. So, from an English speaker

"Fredrick Gilbert" - bad 

"Fredereek Gilbair" - acceptable 

"Frrred-airr-eekh Geel-bairrrh-uh" - bad 

Works the other way, too. I have no problem with a French speaker saying "Tiron Mings" or "Zshack Grealeesh". 

FWIW I usually say Porsh-er, so I'm donning the cricket box. 

This. And with the Porsche thing, so do I. It’s not only correct, but also consistent - I mean almost no one pronounces Audi as “or dee” (as in audio, audience, applause etc.), no, people correctly pronounce it the German way “ow dee”, probably because of their advertising having long filtered into our consciousness.  I’d draw the line before BMW, though (bay em vee).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Where do you draw the line? Joe Mercer used to call Johann Cruyff "Joanne Cruff", which made me cringe. By and large, I feel we should try and pronounce non-English words (particularly people's names) correctly. Although there is an issue with how far you go with laying on an accent with a trowel. It does sound pretty daft if you speak with your normal accent, but in the middle of a sentence you come out with an overdone attempt at authenticity. So, from an English speaker

"Fredrick Gilbert" - bad 

"Fredereek Gilbair" - acceptable 

"Frrred-airr-eekh Geel-bairrrh-uh" - bad 

Works the other way, too. I have no problem with a French speaker saying "Tiron Mings" or "Zshack Grealeesh". 

FWIW I usually say Porsh-er, so I'm donning the cricket box. 

Football agent George Mendez

People that park in the McDonald’s click and serve collection point bays and stay in them until they have eaten their food stopping anybody else who has pre-ordered being able to pick their food up

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

People that park in the McDonald’s click and serve collection point bays and stay in them until they have eaten their food stopping anybody else who has pre-ordered being able to pick their food up

I'd call that doing everyone else a service. Very public spirited of them if you ask me

• Like 1

While we're on the pronouncing foreign names thing, I wish we didn't have these 'British versions' of place names - Munich, The Hague, Florence, Rome, etc. Works both ways, too. The French should be able to manage 'London' instead of 'Londres'. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd call that doing everyone else a service. Very public spirited of them if you ask me

It’s what the witches apprentice wanted, whom am I to argue on today of all days 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have an infection around the nail of one of my fingers. It's now pissing me of that much that I'm about to go full on Victorian Medicine on it and lance it with a sterilised pin

May I recommend sir, a course of leeches followed by the compliment of a hot bread poultice and regular consumption of tinctures  of quinine to dowse the Devil  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

May I recommend sir, a course of leeches followed by the compliment of a hot bread poultice and regular consumption of tinctures  of quinine to dowse the Devil  

NAh, going for the sterilised (in the steam of the kettle) needle approach

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have an infection around the nail of one of my fingers. It's now pissing me of that much that I'm about to go full on Victorian Medicine on it and lance it with a sterilised pin

Over here they're very much needed. English people cant even pronounce Krakòw, no chance with Bydgoszcz or Szczecin

EDIT: meant to quote mooney, this is better though. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â