Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It is that typical ‘relatives in the area’ reasoning.

I’ve got Brummie relations and in particular an uncle who was on the fringes of the Stafford Rangers team back in the early 70’s. So weekends would be either watching him sit on a bench somewhere, or if he wasn’t in the team, and Villa were home, we’d go and watch them.

Standing on the old Holte, as an 8, 9, 10 year old in the 70’s was magical. The romance of the communal swearing and the smell of fags, booze, chips and piss never left me.

fantasic, being of the same vintage myself they were indeed great days, your right everyone seemed to smell strongly of the booze/fags/chips/piss combo. Thinking about it we could be technically be classed as glory hunters 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I just say I’m a glory hunting plastic and people accept it.

I once (jokingly, of course) accused a sha fan of being a glory hunter just cos they'd stayed up (again) on the last day and he was banging on about it in the office. 

The look of sheer confusion on his inbred face was a picture. At least he remained quiet while his two brain cells tried to work out what i meant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

fantasic, being of the same vintage myself they were indeed great days, your right everyone seemed to smell strongly of the booze/fags/chips/piss combo. Thinking about it we could be technically be classed as glory hunters 

The first game I remember, is probably April ‘74, we beat Nottingham Forest, but I spent most of the time looking to the right, watching the charges by the police horses out on Wilton Lane.

But to be honest, most of the memory from back then has just been morphed by re telling and re telling. But it was around about then.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

But to be honest, most of the memory from back then has just been morphed by re telling and re telling. But it was around about then.

Memory is probably a good one for this thread. I have been trying to remember my first game at Villa for a while, and I absolutely can't.

I also can't remember people from the much more recent past. It is sometimes the source of arguments, as my missus tells me about how someone is doing that we used to work with in Hanoi, and I have to say I can't remember who she is, and then I get 'well she remembers you . . .'. I hate it, and quite concerned about 'what it means' with regard to memory loss.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

**** outrageous that, people with kids wanting to take their holidays during the school holidays.

What the **** is that about!

Why don’t they take them a few weeks either side of the holidays when everything is half the price?

You missed the point. 

The point was that it shouldn't be assumed or expected. I've had real problems taking days off in the holidays when I have had a genuine need for it - moving house for example and attending a funeral*

*not on the same day, that would be too much. 

• Like 2

Working from home has only heightened the problem with partners naming people you have no interest in or recollection of.

We’ve sort of come to an agreement, that I’m happy to be told all about what Tina said to Mandy about Kevin in HR, on the understanding that I don’t actually have to listen and will never be asked to repeat any of it back, or ask after a health update on Greg’s mum.

I just have to wait until it sounds like the bulletin is over, and make a noise to acknowledge that I received that bulletin.

By the same token, I am at liberty to explain the recording techniques in mid 70’s Jamaican dub whenever I feel the need. I make it clear when I’ve finished my monologue by always ending with ‘...and I can burn you a copy, if you like?’

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Working from home has only heightened the problem with partners naming people you have no interest in or recollection of.

We’ve sort of come to an agreement, that I’m happy to be told all about what Tina said to Mandy about Kevin in HR, on the understanding that I don’t actually have to listen and will never be asked to repeat any of it back, or ask after a health update on Greg’s mum.

I just have to wait until it sounds like the bulletin is over, and make a noise to acknowledge that I received that bulletin.

By the same token, I am at liberty to explain the recording techniques in mid 70’s Jamaican dub whenever I feel the need. I make it clear when I’ve finished my monologue by always ending with ‘...and I can burn you a copy, if you like?’

There was a meme going round not so long ago that sums it up that says 

"My boyfriend is the perfect person to gossip with about people from work because he doesn't know who any of them are and he wasn't listening anyway"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

OK this complaint is in itself worthy of pissing people off, as somebody boringly does it every year, but... 

Saw my first Christmas stuff in Morrisons today. 

I better get my Grinch costume dry cleaned then.

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People who are sitting on public transport playing games, videos or listening to music or taking calls, without headphones connected. I am not a violent man, but sweet jesus. 

Usually the yoof of today. A right good clip round the back of the head would do wonders.

People listening to music in public out loud in is undeniably annoying, particularly while commuting. However once last summer I was walking down the road and two young lads were heading towards me, one with his music blaring from his pocket, no headphones. 

As we got to within 10-15 yards of each other he, unprompted, turns it down while we pass. I then heard the volume go back up after a few more paces. 

Sometimes the little considerate gestures stick with you longer than the thoughtlessness of others.

• Like 3

Â