Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

23 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Plumbers.

Come and do a simple job. That leads to another problem.

Then they just disappear into the ether.

Well Mr Plumber, you're going to get a rather "indifferent" review on Checkatrade.

Blimey. Remember the time when they just used to come and shag your wife?

• Haha 2

On 02/10/2020 at 20:00, rjw63 said:

Plumbers.

Come and do a simple job. That leads to another problem.

Then they just disappear into the ether.

Well Mr Plumber, you're going to get a rather "indifferent" review on Checkatrade.

images.jpeg

• Haha 4

On 02/10/2020 at 20:44, Xela said:

That, for me, is the nub of it. She's trying to stay relevant by living her life like an open wound on social media. Absolutely horrible what happened but I can't get the mindset of posing for a staged photograph, minutes after a miscarriage. I just don't get it. 

To be fair, she's very famous and I don't think she's in any danger of disappearing into the ether. You and I might not be her target market (though my wife has at least one of her cookbooks, and when I've seen her on media/social media I haven't minded her to be fair) but I don't think it's a desperate plea for relevance. I kind of feel uncomfortable with passing judgement. I don't know what the 'right' way to handle a miscarriage or stillbirth is and I don't think it's for me to say what's right or not.

As an (...increasingly :() massive geek, I've got tonnes of stuff around the house that are boxed up waiting for me to finish the never ending household renovation and actually display - Gundam models I've built, customised, painted, expensive action figures of various sorts I've collected that survived the purge. About a month or so ago I did manage to finish, to a decent level, the spare room, and it's been turned into a home office come hobby room for my model making and figure customising. With the room finished and bearing in mind I spend a not insignificant amount of time in there I reckoned I should get some of this stuff displayed in there. And the best solution for a display cabinet that doesn't cost the earth? The IKEA Detolf.

I've been to IKEA once in my life. I bought some shelf brackets. They were overpriced but looked cool and did what I wanted (surprisingly, to hold up shelves, but also act as book ends). They continue to do this job well and the process of putting them up is one of the last household jobs I can recall my dad and I doing together before he died (which was a few years later admittedly). And knowing the Detolf is the one stop shop for all your geek display needs, I ordered two and popped my IKEA furniture cherry. A week later the reassuringly heavy but awkward boxes arrived, sat next to the pile of other shit in the 'waiting for storage' pile until I could be arsed with it all. That time came this morning.

I hefted the first 2 boxes upstairs and set about trying to work out how to build a 4ft high glass cabinet in a room that wasn't big to start with and now has desk and chair in it, ultimately coming to the decision that they'd have to be built half in the landing, which itself isn't huge and has 2 orphaned sheets of plasterboard waiting for a forever home. First task, get the boxes open. Harder than it should be, as the boxes appear to have been welded together with glue not known to common man, and the cardboard is great described as 'structural'. I decided it needed to be cut open. I grab the utility knife and start invasive surgery. This was harder than it seemed as, in making the first cut, it dawned on me that inside the box, somewhere, was a **** ton of glass, which probably wouldn't appreciate being jabbed with some hardened steel.

Eventually I get the boxes open, find the instructions, find the unexpectedly large bag of bits, and get to work. How hard can it be? It's 4 bits of glass some hardboard and a simple wire frame. The glass can't be out of shape and the construction is laughably simple - you push the wire frame through the hardboard bottom, bolt it in place, put feet on it if you want, slot 3 bits of glass in the pre cut slots together with a plastic channel in the corner, shove the top on the whole thing and bolt that together, then jam the door in with magnet closure. Piss easy.

A couple of hours later I've built the thing. I saw a couple of hours because it took me that long to give up trying to work out why I couldn't get the top to bolt together on the right hand side, which in turn has meant the door won't close at the top. I literally can't work out why this is the case. I'm loathe to take it apart. And I can't work out how soomething that is inherently made of straight lines and right angles with CNCed precut slots can't successfully make a box. 

I had planned to put both together and then dust proof them with some weather strip today. But **** it. Instead ok going to eat biscuits and watch shit on YouTube and occasionally glance at the other boxes of IKEA wrongness with disgust.

• Like 2

Apropos of the above, the new shed (Mrs M: 'summer house') arrived last week, in flat pack kit form. According to the manufacturers it's simplicity itself to assemble, in a couple of hours. However, as we had our jobbing builder in, laying a new patio for it to go on, I'd already budgeted for him to construct it. Now this guy is built like the proverbial BSH, he's a highly experienced joiner, and had a mate helping him. It took them two days, and looked like a right bastard of a job. Good decision, Mooney. 

19 hours ago, mottaloo said:

images.jpeg

Got another plumber to come out, and on a Sunday too.

Fixed the problem in 20 minutes.

Nice to know they're not all words removed.

• Haha 1

Woke up yesterday morning to an itchy wrist from a bite. Didn't see the culprit.

Within hours the wrist is swollen, I can feel discomfort all the way up my arm to my triceps, and the bite area is sore and is quickly taking on the form of a staph infection.

It's a pretty common thing in Australia for someone to tell you that white tail venom can eat at the flesh, and while I don't believe that, when infected I think the skin can rot.

Safe to say there's a few too many venomous spiders in Australia that can do some damage to guess so I thought I best get to the GP, only it's Saturday and they're booked.

Get a brief phone consultation and go into the clinic to collect my script for antibiotics or penicillin, one of the two, don't know. Straight to chemist and down the hatch.

Treatment worked and my arm and wrist are back to normal and what is left is two lumps from the puncture marks that have hardened.

What a little prick though.

That spider cost me a whole $6 for the medication and most of my morning, yet no where to be seen when it's time to pay at the counter, no apologies, no nothing.

If I find it in my room I'll be tempted to bitch slap it so hard it's on a trajectory to meet its maker.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

In 20 minutes?

4 or 5 times I reckon.

Though that 20 minutes would have to be over the course of a couple of days.

Course of 10 years. You are showing off. 

• Like 1

My own stupid actions. 

I have a really stiff neck and my back is iffy. Been lying on the floor, on my back, reading on my phone. Held the phone above my head. Then managed to fumble it. Smashed into my face. Not nice. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1

Â