Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I'm convinced humans have finished evolving about 10 years ago. We'll be apes again in 100 years.

You're confident of the existence of humans in 100 years? You'#re more optimistic than me.

• Like 1

To be speak of an album being 'Dropped' or to be 'dropping', is phrase that's crossed over from hip-hop/rap culture, I don't think it has anything to do with how sudden an album has been released, because even back in the early days of it's usuage, you would hear that such and such album is 'dropping' at some future date. It's now just a marketing world to make a release of something sound more appealing.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

On similar lines: "pre-order". Total redundancy. "Order" does the job. You may be ordering it ahead of the release date, or after it, but you're ordering it either way. No need for "pre-". 

See also "pre-planning". Grrrr. 

I don't mind the use of 'pre-order' as it's easier than writing 'order ahead of release' or something like that, in the internet age especially where I should think it's much more popular than it ever has been before.  

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't mind the use of 'pre-order' as it's easier than writing 'order ahead of release' 

Why do you need to? We've been ordering stuff for decades without regard to the release date. 

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why do you need to? We've been ordering stuff for decades without regard to the release date. 

Ultimately it's just a marketing gimmick introduced since Amazon and the other online retailers got popular most likely.  You're right that literally there is no need for the 'pre' bit, it's just made its way into modern English off the back of trying to get people to order something, often by offering a bonus free song or different packaging, which I'm guessing wasnt as frequent back in the day.

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Ultimately it's just a marketing gimmick introduced since Amazon and the other online retailers got popular most likely.  You're right that literally there is no need for the 'pre' bit, it's just made its way into modern English off the back of trying to get people to order something, often by offering a bonus free song or different packaging, which I'm guessing wasnt as frequent back in the day.

Nah pre-ordering has been around before amazon and co.

I remember "pre-ordering" N64 games back in the mid 90's and I don't think it was a new term. And this was going into a shop and placing an order for a game weeks before it came out.

There was more a need for it back then, IIRC, as stuff seemed to go out of stock more often so I guess it was protecting you against that.

But I get MJM's frustration that the "pre" part isn't necessary. You're just ordering it, albeit before it's released.

Edited by Stevo985

Disclaimer: language changes all the time. When I was a kid my parents were always complaining about abuses of English by the younger (i.e. my) generation. 

Well, now I've finally got to be An Old Git, and THIS IS MY TIME, DAMNIT! 

• Haha 1

Somebody buy Kate Middleton a cheeseburger the poor thing. Starving herself. She looks like a steel rail. There is nothing appealing to that body shape for me. Photos of her playing field hockey shows her looking fit and healthy with a natural amount of weight.

/rantover

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

YouTube videos with the title or description “rare footage”.

Well it’s not really is it? It’s on YouTube. It has 5.5m views.

Plus it's usually the same footage that has been in a thousand other videos

See also "High Quality HD" on some old football footage, then the footage is in 480p

• Like 1

Â