Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

trying to think of some of the ones ive heard in construction over the years, there are a lot, the devils in the detail gets wheeled out at least once a day

used to work with an old guy who came out with a pearler when moaning about a useless trainee "that boy could **** a good word removed up"

• Haha 1

I’ve refused to work with the one weasel(one of the gaffers son in law) who was making my working like miserable . I really couldn’t stand him and I was getting quite obsessive about it. Luckily he had to have a bit of time off through injury, but I’ve told the boss I won’t work with him again. I basically put up with him, and would only talk to him when I needed to. Didn’t realise how unhappy I was with him until I stopped working with him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

trying to think of some of the ones ive heard in construction over the years, there are a lot, the devils in the detail gets wheeled out at least once a day

used to work with an old guy who came out with a pearler when moaning about a useless trainee "that boy could **** a good word removed up"

An old boy I used to work with used to say that 😀

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I like everyone I work with in my office.

I was friends with everyone in the UK I worked with but then on a working level I had problems with a few

because im very laid back whereas site teams in particular are really highly strung, want everything done yesterday, usually blinkered approach to problem solving, 1st one they think of, more often than not they will solve problems so fast that they don't stop to think about whether or not the problem is even ours...I work in a completely different way to them, that leads to dabblers, people who think im working too slowly or not at all (to be fair im on villatalk 75% of my day) when really im playing scenarios out waiting for the right solution, so they try and do my job for me

results in solutions to problems that aren't contractually ours being resolved by us for cheaper than they actually cost to fix

it was stressful, guys that on a personal level I like but on a professional level are killing me every day 

Sometimes I think of stuff to post in this thread, and then I think it makes feel sad, rather than pi**es me off. Or I find it ever so slightly annoying, so the thread title seems too strong.

22 minutes ago, useless said:

Sometimes I think of stuff to post in this thread, and then I think it makes feel sad, rather than pi**es me off. Or I find it ever so slightly annoying, so the thread title seems too strong.

Yes, the major flaw with this forum is we don't have an "things that make @useless irritably melancholic thread". I don't know whether we should modify this one, or create a new one, or bravely soldier on, the weight of your sorrowful ire bearing down (though not too heavily), on our collective psyche. Ultimately, we're all doomed, I suppose.

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I was friends with everyone in the UK I worked with but then on a working level I had problems with a few

because im very laid back whereas site teams in particular are really highly strung, want everything done yesterday, usually blinkered approach to problem solving, 1st one they think of, more often than not they will solve problems so fast that they don't stop to think about whether or not the problem is even ours...I work in a completely different way to them, that leads to dabblers, people who think im working too slowly or not at all (to be fair im on villatalk 75% of my day) when really im playing scenarios out waiting for the right solution, so they try and do my job for me

results in solutions to problems that aren't contractually ours being resolved by us for cheaper than they actually cost to fix

it was stressful, guys that on a personal level I like but on a professional level are killing me every day 

The biggest pain in the ass I have now, is people wanting things for free.

I manage a team of developers and the amount of people coming to me on Skype or via email sneakily trying to get consultancy from me or my team is silly.

I have every right to charge them 100 Euros an hour if they want my support but I never do because I don't want to look like the asshole.

I've started the conversation around adding a catalogue item where they can take me or one of my team for an hour for a cost so I can push back on them more.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

This is probably going to be perceived as me trying to be 'wacky', but I actually quite like feeling melancholic.

Is that what you call Melanie the alcoholic?

The things people say thing for a sec;

for example this Americanism; 

"Get down off of the fence!"

"off of" sounds so bad, like you're shoving a word which doesn't belong in there. 

I say "d'ya know what I mean" all the time because in my head I'm basically Liam Gallagher 😎

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

The things people say thing for a sec;

for example this Americanism; 

"Get down off of the fence!"

"off of" sounds so bad, like you're shoving a word which doesn't belong in there. 

I say "d'ya know what I mean" all the time because in my head I'm basically Liam Gallagher 😎

They say 'debate me' instead of 'debate with me', yet they say 'visit with me' instead of 'visit me', and I know I've mentioned the collective noun thing before where 'bunch' is used for literally everything including things completely inappropriate - "I lost a bunch of time doing that' (wtf?).  And everything is super this or super that, super hard or super interesting, like other emphasis words like 'very' and 'extremely' don't exist.  And breath.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

They say 'debate me' instead of 'debate with me', yet they say 'visit with me' instead of 'visit me', and I know I've mentioned the collective noun thing before where 'bunch' is used for literally everything including things completely inappropriate - "I lost a bunch of time doing that' (wtf?).  And everything is super this or super that, super hard or super interesting, like other emphasis words like 'very' and 'extremely' don't exist.  And breath.

Superlatives have no meaning anymore.  I mean.. since Epic became a "meme" word, particularly to describe inane shit like... a song, or someone killing someone in a video game or jumping the width of a narrow canal.. it just doesn't hold any weight. 

Wicked, Mega, Awesome blah blah.  

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Superlatives have no meaning anymore.  I mean.. since Epic became a "meme" word, particularly to describe inane shit like... a song, or someone killing someone in a video game or jumping the width of a narrow canal.. it just doesn't hold any weight. 

Wicked, Mega, Awesome blah blah.  

I liked Gary Delaney's line about legends - "The word Legend has been devalued from pulling a sword from a stone, to unexpectedly returning with crisps"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Whilst we're on the subject of Americanisms and all the that, the superfluous use of field (Sorry Magroll!)

Someone on here blasted me once for not putting "Ice" before "hockey" when I was referring to the hockey played on ice. Was it you? Can't win with you guyz.

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Someone on here blasted me once for not putting "Ice" before "hockey" when I was referring to the hockey played on ice. Was it you? Can't win with you guyz.

Thats because it is Ice Hockey, Hockey played on Ice. It is assumed Hockey is Hockey until you qualify it with Ice (or Air for that matter). Hockey is the original sport

Same logic with Polo and Water Polo. Do Americans call it Field Polo or Equine Polo? (Gen question)

EDIT: Wasn't me that I recall but that's no definite denial :mrgreen:

• Like 1

I’m always spellbound when I meet an American . They all seem like these celebrity people who come from this special place. Obviously I know it’s not like that really, but I do have this certain image in my head if America. Even when I was younger I had this thing for the place. I think I’ve only met two in person in my whole life and one was a woman who loved Motley Crue. 

Â