Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Google piss me off. 

I buy one set of whisky glasses and for the next 3 months I have whisky glass banners everywhere I go on the internet. Stop watching me!

See I don't get that, if it was remotely intelligent, they'd know you'd already bought them so the chances of you buying a similar product again is much smaller. And yes it pisses me off too. Google thinks I'm a socialite extrordiaire because I'm always looking up bars and restaurants on google maps etc It's work and not a reflection of me. Google's ad sense is particularly stupid

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don’t watch cricket, but I don’t particularly mind it. I’ll be at a T20 game at Edgbaston later in the year for a stag do

That'll be alright. It's not something I'll do often, but a T20 game can be a good laugh. It's a much more condensed game, and mostly action.

A test match though? I can't think of a worse way to spend a day.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A test match though? I can't think of a worse way to spend a day

It's great for Working from Home. Telly on (Sound down), TMS on whatever device plays it and work away only bothering to look up when something happens whilst being entertained by the commentary. You do a whole days work at home and don't even notice the day going by

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's great for Working from Home. Telly on (Sound down), TMS on whatever device plays it and work away only bothering to look up when something happens whilst being entertained by the commentary. You do a whole days work at home and don't even notice the day going by

That, for me, would be like having Beatles records on all day long would be for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Cricket and rugby are definitely two sports I just don't get. Love baseball and the NFL though. A few people I know are confused by that, not sure why as there's really very little they share in common! 

Cricket I just can't get into, Rugby is the same as NFL and too much stop/start.

Golf is here and there.

Don't mind baseball and NBA, NHL also watchable whenever I can watch it, Love NASCAR and F1 also has become more appealing again and more so after watching the netflix documentary.

Will always watch Olympics and Winter Olympics too when they are on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sounds like a **** nightmare

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

See I don't get that, if it was remotely intelligent, they'd know you'd already bought them so the chances of you buying a similar product again is much smaller. And yes it pisses me off too

Google j(and Facebook) simply provide a channel. It's the company buying the ad slots which has decided that they can monetise your previous purchase. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

Google thinks I'm a socialite extrordiaire because I'm always looking up bars and restaurants on google maps etc It's work and not a reflection of me. Google's ad sense is particularly stupid

Google Maps is getting incognito mode precisely for that reason, but perhaps you should be using it with your work account when you're at work rather than your personal account. Keep your work and personal life separate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Google j(and Facebook) simply provide a channel. It's the company buying the ad slots which has decided that they can monetise your previous purchase. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Google Maps is getting incognito mode precisely for that reason, but perhaps you should be using it with your work account when you're at work rather than your personal account. Keep your work and personal life separate.

Then I wouldn't be on VT at work :mrgreen:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Don't get me wrong. I think Google is the most brilliant company out there, but the ads are just weird. Like Bicks say, why advertise for teh exact same thing? At least make the algorithm suggest items that may be close to the same stuff. i.e. whisky glasses, suggest cubes or even bloody kitchen knives. If you buy a pair of black adidas sneakers, suggest at least blue ones. 

I think it's really weird they sugges the EXACT same stuff. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Don't get me wrong. I think Google is the most brilliant company out there, but the ads are just weird. Like Bicks say, why advertise for teh exact same thing? At least make the algorithm suggest items that may be close to the same stuff. i.e. whisky glasses, suggest cubes or even bloody kitchen knives. If you buy a pair of black adidas sneakers, suggest at least blue ones. 

I think it's really weird they sugges the EXACT same stuff. 

But it's not Google. Google are just the delivery channel. It's like blaming tarmac for bad drivers.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Then I wouldn't be on VT at work :mrgreen:

On modern devices (like 7 year old android devices) you can log in to more than one account at the same time :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, limpid said:

But it's not Google. Google are just the delivery channel. It's like blaming tarmac for bad drivers.

I get that, but why can't Google just sell them a better algo based upon their data? 

35 minutes ago, limpid said:

On modern devices (like 7 year old android devices) you can log in to more than one account at the same time :mrgreen:

You imagine I'm actually arsed about this. I can log into my 5 twitter accounts on my iPhone at the same time. It's the illogical behaviour that pisses me off not the adverts generated because adverts generally pass me by (except that new Beatles movie but hey ho)

2 hours ago, bickster said:

You imagine I'm actually arsed about this. I can log into my 5 twitter accounts on my iPhone at the same time. It's the illogical behaviour that pisses me off not the adverts generated because adverts generally pass me by (except that new Beatles movie but hey ho)

Because you talk about them so much? 😁 😁

• Haha 1

When i see Villa is trending on Twitter only to find out it's all about bloody love island and not a sensational transfer swoop by us 🤬

Â