Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Asprin was a trademark of Bayer of Germany for acetylsalicylic acid. It is one of the most famous examples of where a term becomes so generic for a product that it loses it's trademark.

Asprin was a trademark of Bayer of Germany for acetylsalicylic acid. It is one of the most famous examples of where a term becomes so generic for a product that it loses it's trademark.

Exactly the same as Heroin.

Indeed. Though there is a bit more to it than meets the eye, as both Asprin and Heroin were taken from the Germans in the Treaty of Versailles following our win over them in WW1.

There is actually an article about it on Wikipedia (search for "Genericized Trademark") which lists a few other things which have lost their trademark status. An Escalator was originally a trademarked name for a mechanical staircase, which was news to me but makes complete sense now I think about it.

Stupid people. I should leave them to be, but I can't help try to help them, then I realise they're morons and am left peeved that I've wasted my time on them.

Biro was the Hungarian guy who invented said pen.

I did not know this previously but I found out the Hungarians are very proud of him. I had it pointed out to me more than once whist in the country. It is an odd thing to have come up in conversation with a random Hungarian.

Bic, the French company who subsequently bought the rights to Biro, apparently use diamond dust to shape the ball points on Biros. Completely useless information but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

There are plenty of examples of where brand names become generic terms. Some of the more famous ones would be Coke (for cola) Asprin (headache tablets) and Tipp Ex (correction fluid) but there are scores of examples. There is probably a list on the internet somewhere.

The interesting thing about Tipp Ex is that there's a different genercized trademark for correction fluid that prevails in the US: Wite-Out (though I supposed in generic use, it's implicitly spelled "white out")... oddly enough of the three main brands of correction fluid in the world (and two in the US), Wite-Out is the most recent invention (Liquid Paper being the other one (and the oldest))

And in NZ, the genercized trademark is "Twink"....

There are plenty of examples of where brand names become generic terms. Some of the more famous ones would be Coke (for cola) Asprin (headache tablets) and Tipp Ex (correction fluid) but there are scores of examples. There is probably a list on the internet somewhere.

The interesting thing about Tipp Ex is that there's a different genercized trademark for correction fluid that prevails in the US: Wite-Out (though I supposed in generic use, it's implicitly spelled "white out")... oddly enough of the three main brands of correction fluid in the world (and two in the US), Wite-Out is the most recent invention (Liquid Paper being the other one (and the oldest))

I applaud your correction fluid knowledge. :thumb:

That's debatable! :lol:

Sellotape is a brand name. Why do you think Blue Peter have to call it sticky back plastic?

Oh I know all of this, my point was referring to the 'we don't say this in England' bit.

Point remains valid though.

Champagne is a protected food/drink type, as is Cumberland sausage, Stilton cheese, Melton Mowbray pork pies, and I think Bakewell tart.

Kevlar is another example of a brand name being a generic term.

Office Phone call pleasantries and small talk.

Some guy from our london office phones me up.

Him: "Hi Jon. How you doing"

Me: "yeah. I'm not too bad. can't complain"

Him: "Yeah. I'm good thanks" I've juts got a query about ...".

I have not feckin asked you how you are, you feckin Robot!!

:lol:

Office Phone call pleasantries and small talk.

Some guy from our london office phones me up.

Him: "Hi Jon. How you doing"

Me: "yeah. I'm not too bad. can't complain"

Him: "Yeah. I'm good thanks" I've juts got a query about ...".

I have not feckin asked you how you are, you feckin Robot!!

:lol:

Bloody Southerners. Can't even say just properly! ;)

Â