Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I do the 'th' for Spanish. I used to work with one and, besides, it's the correct pronunciation. So it is Valenthia or Murthia to me. I also do the throaty sound on the G of de Gea but then that comes easier to us paddies cuz our own language has that too. As Mike says, there's no harm doing it once you're doing it right.

I do the 'th' for Spanish. I used to work with one and, besides, it's the correct pronunciation. So it is Valenthia or Murthia to me. I also do the throaty sound on the G of de Gea but then that comes easier to us paddies cuz our own language has that too. As Mike says, there's no harm doing it once you're doing it right.
Exactly. Same goes for the double-L = "Y" in Spanish.

Carlos Cweyar, not Carlos Cweylar.

The same for the German sound for 'V' in which they pronounce it 'fow'.

When I order a Becks 'fear' I get strange looks even though it's the correct pronunciation.

You would in Chesterfield :-)

The same for the German sound for 'V' in which they pronounce it 'fow'.

When I order a Becks 'fear' I get strange looks even though it's the correct pronunciation.

You would in Chesterfield :-)

It's Carling, VK or the highway in the Barley Mow.

I can't thpeak thpanith, but I can speak Tschermann. Rudi Voller: it's pronounced Fuller you know.

I can also speak french, but I choose not to.

The fact you can't block out people's microphones on Battlefield. It's especially annoying when someone joins and just plays a load of crap music down their microphone or they have a conversation in some weird language.

The term 'warchest' when used in conjunction with transfer activity. No idea why, It just puts my teeth on edge.

Oh, and club XX are 'bracing themselves for a bid' from such and such team. Are they really? Are they all stood around a fax machine/PC/phone etc holding their breath and clenching collective buttocks? How long do they brace for? hmmm.

The term 'warchest' when used in conjunction with transfer activity. No idea why, It just puts my teeth on edge.

Oh, and club XX are 'bracing themselves for a bid' from such and such team. Are they really? Are they all stood around a fax machine/PC/phone etc holding their breath and clenching collective buttocks? How long do they brace for? hmmm.

I give you The Catechism of Cliché, by Myles na Gopaleen, aka Flann O'Brien, aka Brian O'Nolan:

Today's guest blogger is Brian O'Nolan, who from 1939 until his death in 1966 commanded a satiric weekly column for The Irish Times called "Cruiskeen Lawn." Under the pen name Myles na Gopaleen (sometimes na gCopaleen), he wrote fancifully in Irish, English, or Latin (depending on his mood) on matters related to life, literature, and--our favorite--language.

In several of those columns, O'Nolan presented "a unique compendium of all that is nauseating in contemporary writing." Here then, as evidence of the "murder" of his "beloved English language," are excerpts from the Myles na Gopaleen Catechism of Cliché.

Catechism of Cliché

What is a bad thing worse than?

Useless.

What can one do with fierce resistance?

Offer it.

But if one puts fierce resistance, in what direction does one put it?

Up.

In which hood is a person who expects money to fall out of the sky?

Second child.

If a thing is fraught, with what is it fraught?

The gravest consequences.

What does one sometimes have it on?

The most unimpeachable authority.

What is the only thing one can wax?

Eloquent.

What happens to blows at a council meeting?

It looks as if they might be exchanged.

What does pandemonium do?

It breaks loose.

Describe its subsequent dominion.

It reigns.

How are allegations dealt with?

They are denied.

Yes, but then you are weakening, Sir. Come now, how are they denied?

Hotly.

What is the behaviour of a heated altercation?

It follows.

What happens to order?

It is restored.

Alternatively, in what does the meeting break up?

Disorder.

What does the meeting do in disorder?

Breaks up.

In what direction does the meeting break in disorder?

Up.

In what direction should I shut?

Up.

When things are few, what also are they?

Far between.

What are stocks of fuel doing when they are low?

Running.

How low are they running?

Dangerously.

What does one do with a suggestion?

One throws it out.

For what does one throw a suggestion out?

For what it may be worth.

What else can be thrown out?

A hint.

In addition to hurling a hint on such lateral trajectory, what other not unviolent action can be taken with it?

It can be dropped.

What else is sometimes dropped?

The subject.

"A cliché," said O'Nolan, "is a phrase that has become fossilized, its component words deprived of their intrinsic light and meaning by incessant usage. Thus it appears that clichés reflect somewhat the frequency of the same situations in life. If this be so, a sociological commentary could be compiled from these items of mortified language."

Here

Also when they say "a manager has turned his thoughts to" someone said "Do they sit at home staring out the window and thinking of the player!?"

Ah, Myles na gCopaleen. Legend. For all you Losties out there, he's the one that wrote 'The Third Policeman' book that featured prominently in that series.

It's correct if you're Spanish.

It's like me saying I'm going to Dublin, but putting on an Irish accent for the word "Dublin"

Or me saying "I'm just going out in Noo'astle". Just because thats how Geordies say it doesnt mean that's the right way to say it.

It's correct if you're Spanish.

It's like me saying I'm going to Dublin, but putting on an Irish accent for the word "Dublin"

Or me saying "I'm just going out in Noo'astle". Just because thats how Geordies say it doesnt mean that's the right way to say it.

No it isn't. That's accent, dialect, not language.

How do you pronounce Makoun's first name? Jeen? Or Jhon?

After all, "Jean" is "Jeen" in English.

Â