Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

The word filter on this site is really starting to hack me off. I could understand "word removed" as the "c" word is something that probably should be filtered if there are kids reading this site, but I think about 10 words have been changed!

Also, who actually uses the phrase "sail on the mayonnaise sea" in real life? If they are going to filter words a nice selection of characters like "£$%&" usually does the trick, rather than making us all sound like a tossers convention (the word I was going to use even then has been filtered). Its expletive correctness gone mad.

Well you see as you don't appear to donate, you have no real right of complaint. Advertisers don't like sites that swear and as not enough people donate to the upkeep of the site we have to go after advertising revenue, so whilst we're all quite happy for you to use this forum free of charge, until such times as enough people donate we need advertising income and those that dont donate , have no real right of complaint.

Well at least the ambulance-chasing no-win-no-fee advert featuring Esther Rantzen is'nt appearing anymore.

I could'nt see anyone having a sail on the mayonnaise sea to that.

The word filter on this site is really starting to hack me off. I could understand "word removed" as the "c" word is something that probably should be filtered if there are kids reading this site, but I think about 10 words have been changed!

Also, who actually uses the phrase "sail on the mayonnaise sea" in real life? If they are going to filter words a nice selection of characters like "£$%&" usually does the trick, rather than making us all sound like a tossers convention (the word I was going to use even then has been filtered). Its expletive correctness gone mad.

Well you see as you don't appear to donate, you have no real right of complaint. Advertisers don't like sites that swear and as not enough people donate to the upkeep of the site we have to go after advertising revenue, so whilst we're all quite happy for you to use this forum free of charge, until such times as enough people donate we need advertising income and those that dont donate , have no real right of complaint.

I donate. I hereby complain. If we must censor swear words, let's just have a row of asterisks rather than these unfunny substitutions.

And be consistent, too. Why is "****" OK, but "w a n k" not?

As for substituting entirely inoffensive stuff like "inn before the loch" just because it's a cliche, well you can hardly invoke advertiser outrage for that. It's merely modding for the sake of modding, which seems not in the spirit of VT to me.

I'm still trying to figure out the "I'm unoriginal, why do I even bother" word filter. No idea what it actually filters. Might try the BBC's list of swear words...

...Damn it, told me nothing I don't already know. What IS it replacing?! :rant:

:lol:

2q3sky0.gif

Duplicated from the TV thread, as nobody there watches anything except Game of Thrones and the Sopranos, and it's probably more relevant here:

Kill it, Cut it, Use it.

I was horrified and shocked. Not by the use of animal products, but by the staggering ignorance of the (exclusively young) people selected for the voxpop interviews.

"Where do you think bristle brushes come from?"

"Bristol?"

"No, pig hair"

"Oh my God, no! That's DISGUSTING!"

etc., etc.

Another failure of education, I guess.

:(

They also didn't know that lanolin in soap comes from sheepskin, that books are glued together with glue made from animal bones & hooves, and that leather is actually animal skin.

I guess they were specially selected for dimness, but even so, I despair.

THE AWFUL ALLITERATION ON THE VILLA SITE!!!!!!! Is their bullsh1t driving anyone else beyond bonkers? Some extreme examples of their ridiculous writing:

Amusing Agbonlahor on pranksters, praying and phobias

Obliging Oliver happy to talk Villa and Voldemort

Watch Villa in the Barclays Asia Trophy with terrific tour packages

Summer of fun for the kids with ace activities at Villa Park

Practice like your Villa heroes at summer holiday soccer schools

Villa the Midland Masters after sudden-death victory over Wolves

That's just today for Christ's sake.

THE AWFUL ALLITERATION ON THE VILLA SITE!!!!!!! Is their bullsh1t driving anyone else beyond bonkers? Some extreme examples of their ridiculous writing:

Amusing Agbonlahor on pranksters, praying and phobias

Obliging Oliver happy to talk Villa and Voldemort

Watch Villa in the Barclays Asia Trophy with terrific tour packages

Summer of fun for the kids with ace activities at Villa Park

Practice like your Villa heroes at summer holiday soccer schools

Villa the Midland Masters after sudden-death victory over Wolves

That's just today for Christ's sake.

Actually overuse of alliteration everywhere. It creeps into even the most "serious" writing. For example, I have this book at home:

41BHHJFKXEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World", by Professor Roy Porter.

It's supposedly a pretty heavyweight book on philosophy and the history of science, but I'd expect an academic of his stature to be capable of writing that doesn't read like that of a thirteen year old who's just discovered alliteration. It's everywhere - to the point that the book is actually unreadable.

I don't have any exact examples to hand, but I can guardedly guarantee that if you open this big blue book relatively at random you'll see clues to the clunky cliches all over the perishing place. It's like that on literally every page. Horrible.

"Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World", by Professor Roy Porter.

It's supposedly a pretty heavyweight book on philosophy and the history of science, but I'd expect an academic of his stature to be capable of writing that doesn't read like that of a thirteen year old who's just discovered alliteration. It's everywhere - to the point that the book is actually unreadable.

I don't have any exact examples to hand, but I can guardedly guarantee that if you open this big blue book relatively at random you'll see clues to the clunky cliches all over the perishing place. It's like that on literally every page. Horrible.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone here! I just don't get it. It's a very poor writing style and it really doesn't add anything, rather it just makes everything sound childish. Have you ever watched Scrapheap Challenge? That's exactly the same

I actually think "sail on the mayonnaise sea" is actually probably more rude and explicit than w a n k, but that's just me :lol:

It's just mods saying 'ooh I've just invented/heard a new phrase, look at me!'

The SHIT puns (are there any other kind?) at the end of pretty much every report on Sky Sports News.

5Zd5j.jpg

On Portugal winning against Denmark: "Mind you, if there is one thing you'd expect a team featuring Ronaldo & Nani to do, it's gel."

AC Jimbo is the king of the puns, he even has his own facebook page. You should listen to more Football Weekly sir.

The SHIT puns (are there any other kind?) at the end of pretty much every report on Sky Sports News.

5Zd5j.jpg

On Portugal winning against Denmark: "Mind you, if there is one thing you'd expect a team featuring Ronaldo & Nani to do, it's gel."

AC Jimbo is the king of the puns, he even has his own facebook page. You should listen to more Football Weekly sir.

Better than Drat?

The growing percentage of idiots on the main board. I know this is not new news but it just makes reading thorugh player threads for the latest news so frustrating. It just seems to compromise of petty squabbling and/or building a case for any signing we might make being a huge disaster.

Â