Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep the temptation would be to say "You ARE having a laugh aren't you?" and let him work out the hypocrisy for himself.

My response would have been "Flexibility is a two-way street, so No"

Managers are often too thick to understand subtlety 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Strict lunch breaks/breaks/finishing times/starting times wind me up.

My current office is slowly introducing flexible hours, but I already let my guys come and go as they please (within reason, obviously)

I understand the need for the rigid hours in certain situations and jobs. But sticking to it completely rigidly is ridiculous.

The other half wanted to have an extended lunch the other day (an hour instead of half an hour) to meet a friend, and offered to work half an hour extra at the end of the day instead. It was flat out refused. No reason behind it. Just "that's the way it is".

All it means is she leaves at her finishing time on the dot every single day, even if there's something she needs to finish.

Give and take.

I think slowly but surely work places are catching on for peoples 'needs' for flexibility, whether that's working from home, or actually waking up to the fact that the standard work day isn't required all year round. That said, there are still lots of companies stuck in the past and stuck behind very silly principles. 

One thing I'v learned the hard way is when moving jobs it's always really important to ask about flexible working policy. If a firm doesn't have one then I ain't interested. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just found out today that I never got paid what I should of done for the Saturday I worked a week or so ago. Was on my own in the boiling heat slogging my guts out. I even pulled my back that day for them and it's giving me grief still. No more Saturdays for me. They can ***** off.

28 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just found out today that I never got paid what I should of done for the Saturday I worked a week or so ago. Was on my own in the boiling heat slogging my guts out. I even pulled my back that day for them and it's giving me grief still. No more Saturdays for me. They can ***** off.

Can't you ask for your employer for that work to correct their mistake?

My work are pretty flexible with me if I need a long lunch or to leave early for some reason. I generally work from home 1 day a week (usually Wednesdays as it breaks the week up) but to be honest I find it a bit lonely! 

1 hour ago, brommy said:

Can't you ask for your employer for that work to correct their mistake?

I'm on a day rate. We are expected to work Saturdays for normal time. we do get a decent deal off them sometimes though and  I was meant to be getting a deal, although I would hardly say it was a good deal, It was better than normal time. He had one on him over something and he's just paid me normal time. That weren't the agreement, but I can't do naff all about it. They are not all bad, but they do things at times that really piss me off.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I find it impossible to work from home, without getting distracted by my duties as cat butler.

I know what you mean mate,  they know when you are busy as well.  words removed.

I have 2 and they just float around the house asking for stuff or knocking stuff over,  if I stop work they are happy as Larry + I have a Border Collie that gets jealous ffs.

I would get more work done if I sat on a train all day.  In fact,  that would be OK 1st class for 8 hours ?

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm on a day rate. We are expected to work Saturdays for normal time. we do get a decent deal off them sometimes though and  I was meant to be getting a deal, although I would hardly say it was a good deal, It was better than normal time. He had one on him over something and he's just paid me normal time. That weren't the agreement, but I can't do naff all about it. They are not all bad, but they do things at times that really piss me off.

No chance having a word with him when he's in a better mood?

6 minutes ago, brommy said:

No chance having a word with him when he's in a better mood?

Maybe. It's not so much about the money because it's not a great sum of money I was paid short. It's the principle. He did the same a couple of years ago and I stopped working Saturdays for over a year. its a family run firm and most of the family that work there get a lot of perks. It's a 'us and them' attitude at times.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 12:31, Paddywhack said:

I took my 6 year old nephew to parkrun junior this morning, 2k for 4 to 14 year olds. It's really good and my nephew enjoyed it, but I saw so many arsehole parents. 

There was one little lad in front of us, maybe 4 or 5, who was obviously struggling and was asking his dad for a drink. His dad let him have one sip, but was saying as he was running "drink and run, just one sip, drink and run". A little further along when the kid stopped his dad said "come on, don't stop here, you're on for a P.B!"

I saw a little girl crying saying she didn't want do it anymore. My sister said she saw another little girl stop, only about 6, and when she said she couldn't do it her dad said "PMA - positive mental attitude".

I'm all for encouraging your kids and pushing them a little but this was another level, it's supposed to be fun.

Which one? Cannon hill?

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Which one? Cannon hill?

Yeah. Reading my post back, maybe I was overreacting, I don't know. They just seemed a little too young to be worrying about P.Bs and their "mental attitude". I was just telling my nephew to go however fast or slow he wanted.

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah. Reading my post back, maybe I was overreacting, I don't know. They just seemed a little too young to be worrying about P.Bs and their "mental attitude". I was just telling my nephew to go however fast or slow he wanted.

It's a tricky one. I'm in charge of the Bromsgrove one so I have to be looking for this kind of stuff and where it crosses the line. You tend to find the kids need the encouragement and enjoy the competitive nature of it and get excited about getting their next pb but will give up a bit too easily. But we've had parents tie themselves to their kids and literally drag them around the course, but without saying too much, it was fine for their situation. I've sometimes done a few things that I think if someone doesn't know the context it would look overbearing. Safeguarding is really difficult sometimes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xela said:

I generally work from home 1 day a week

How i look forward to your agitated phone calls saying you can't connect to the office network from home and "do you realise how important my deadlines are and who i am ?!?!"

Ah yes....you must be from our sales dept......and if it's THAT important then get out of ur onesie and come in to the fckin office, you lazy clearing in the woods* !! :D 

*not you, obviously Mr Xela !

12 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

And this is EXACTLY why you're a loser. 

You **** loser bastard.

I'll beat you up, you **** dweeb.

Dork.

• Like 1

Incredibly important people who get up and move to other sections of the office to have a conversation on the phone, usually next to other people who absolutely have to listen to their conversation.

Especially annoying when the person has an excessively loud Yorkshire accented voice.

Â