Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Chris Evans getting paid over £2m a year.

I have no frame of reference but I was surprised by some of the salaries. There's the argument about talented people deserving a competitive rate and I wouldn't begrudge someone with a particular unique talent (e.g. being really funny) getting paid a hefty sum but a lot of the people on that list's talent doesn't really seem to go beyond 'saying words nicely'.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JB said:

I have no frame of reference but I was surprised by some of the salaries. There's the argument about talented people deserving a competitive rate and I wouldn't begrudge someone with a particular unique talent (e.g. being really funny) getting paid a hefty sum but a lot of the people on that list's talent doesn't really seem to go beyond 'saying words nicely'.

'Presenting' is a fairly difficult thing to do. I remember Brooker back on Screenwipe had an episode featuring trainee presenters (I think one is now a voiceover artist actually) and the were hopeless. It's not something many can do very well, even after some training, so I wouldn't begrudge people earning significant money at the top of their game.

Saying that, there's no way Chris Evans should be on that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Constantly walking into cobwebs.

Especially irritating are those strands of cobweb that float/span the width of the pavement which I'm sure are only constructed for my annoyance.

Nobody ever bothers to close our front gate so almost every morning when I'm the first one to go to work I walk face-first into a cobweb some bastard spider has built across the gap.  You'd think I'd have learnt by now, but no.  So annoying.

Bloody hell Edinburgh has got expensive!  I was over there last weekend and the prices were basically euro numbers using sterling money.  I struggle to remember a pint I bought for less than a fiver.  I'm sure they're there if you go looking, and I'm no stranger to Edinburgh so I wasn't stuck to the main thoroughfare.  Last time I was there I think you could easily get pints in the £3.60ish range but those days are well and truly gone.  I don't know if the imminent festival had an effect at all, but my mate who lives there assures me that's the norm now.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Bloody hell Edinburgh has got expensive!  I was over there last weekend and the prices were basically euro numbers using sterling money.  I struggle to remember a pint I bought for less than a fiver.  I'm sure they're there if you go looking, and I'm no stranger to Edinburgh so I wasn't stuck to the main thoroughfare.  Last time I was there I think you could easily get pints in the £3.60ish range but those days are well and truly gone.  I don't know if the imminent festival had an effect at all, but my mate who lives there assures me that's the norm now.

I'm there regularly and you can still find a decent pint for under a fiver but the number of fancy-dan new bars that are opening up there, charging ridiculous money, is horrendous.

Last pint I had cost £9.80. To be fair it was lovely and if it'd have been £4.80 I'd have had another one but the bar staff's reaction to me flipping my lid at 20p change implied that I was not the first person to have been so shocked.

So I packed my lunch this morning and went on my merry way up the M3 to a meeting in London. The meeting took about 4 hours with 1.5 hour travel time there and back. I left at around 7am. When I got back this afternoon there were 35 camper vans, naked kids, dogs off lead and garbage flying all around the road I live in. The travelers who got shut out of our local green by the farmer in May have now well and truly occupied the centre of our little village. 

The police were called three times today already but hasn't done anything about the loud swearing, cra%¤ing outside next to garden fences and so on. They're just standing around waiting to punish any non-traveler who might want to have a word..

The local farmer has in the meantime filled up his biggest trailer with pig, cow and chicken crap and will most likely either dump this at every entrance to the green as soon as it gets dark or spray it on the "grass" to help solve the problem. You can't blame the man when he's let the council borrow this land so that kids can play and the council telling him that he can't get rid of people like this illegally occupying his land 2 times a year for the last 15 years..

By the sounds of things there will be a lot of noise for the whole village tonight.. I will keep the kettle on for our hero local farmer once he's done with the night shift.

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I'm there regularly and you can still find a decent pint for under a fiver but the number of fancy-dan new bars that are opening up there, charging ridiculous money, is horrendous.

Last pint I had cost £9.80. To be fair it was lovely and if it'd have been £4.80 I'd have had another one but the bar staff's reaction to me flipping my lid at 20p change implied that I was not the first person to have been so shocked.

Bloody hell. I nearly fainted when I got charged £4.50 for a pint of lager in central Leeds. 

Bitter in my (Sam Smiths) local is £1.80 a pint. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Bloody hell. I nearly fainted when I got charged £4.50 for a pint of lager in central Leeds. 

Bitter in my (Sam Smiths) local is £1.80 a pint. 

1.80 is the cheapest I've heard of since the 90's, where do you live? My local's cheapest is 4.60, and it's not at all nice. The usual stuff goes for over £5 easy.

22 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

1.80 is the cheapest I've heard of since the 90's, where do you live? My local's cheapest is 4.60, and it's not at all nice. The usual stuff goes for over £5 easy.

Cheapest is 4.60???  Really??

Most I've paid in brum and surrounding areas is 6 quid for stella at marcos in brum centre...that was a few years ago.

Paid 8 quid for a guinness is paris.

Pardoes original in netherton...2.20...and it's like nectar :)

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Suburban Leeds. The key words are "Sam Smiths". No frills pubs that never get decorated, and everything - everything - is their own brand - beer, lager, soft drinks, spirits, wine, crisps, nuts, the lot. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I'll play. 1969 or thereabouts. Pint of mild in the public bar - 2/6d. Two shillings and sixpence. 12 and a half New Pence. 

I remember when bitter in the lounge went to to 3/-. Three bob. 15p. I was shocked. But I confidently asserted that the price of a pint would NEVER go over five bob (25p) - I was convinced that the British drinker would never stand for it, there would have been riots. 

That worked out well. 

This post has been brought to you by Stereotypical Old Codger. 

A lot of older folk I know used to prefer it when the pub closed for a few hours and then open up later on again. Was this only on a Sunday?

22 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

A lot of older folk I know used to prefer it when the pub closed for a few hours and then open up later on again. Was this only on a Sunday?

Nope, every day. And I agree. 

I think it was George Melly who said the sweetest sound to a drinker's ears was the sound of the bolts being drawn back on the pub door - and it was better to hear that sound twice a day instead of only once! 

(Besides, those in the know could always find a boozer that would do an afternoon lock-in). :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I'll play. 1969 or thereabouts. Pint of mild in the public bar - 2/6d. Two shillings and sixpence. 12 and a half New Pence. 

I remember when bitter in the lounge went to to 3/-. Three bob. 15p. I was shocked. But I confidently asserted that the price of a pint would NEVER go over five bob (25p) - I was convinced that the British drinker would never stand for it, there would have been riots. 

That worked out well. 

This post has been brought to you by Stereotypical Old Codger. 

Ah, I remember that. The year the concorde took flight and you could either chose between a bitter or a mild.. :) 

Â