Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

These acid attacks that seem to be happening more and more often.  Absolute scum of the earth, what would possess people to do it?  

I was just reading about them. Horrific. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sunday night blues. 

I know tomorrow at work is going to be horrible. Got so much to do to hit a deadline that i'm fretting about it already. 

I deliberately left my laptop at work as I knew if I had it at home I would log on. I'm ruing that decision now! 

I hate Sunday nights.

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sunday night blues. 

I know tomorrow at work is going to be horrible. Got so much to do to hit a deadline that i'm fretting about it already. 

I deliberately left my laptop at work as I knew if I had it at home I would log on. I'm ruing that decision now! 

Sunday night wind down in work for me right now, last shift of a block of 6, nearly finished my current weekly tasks, looking forward to three days off :D

(and sneakily posting on VT :o)

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled that I have to get up at 6.30 am on Monday to fetch my granddaughter. But it's still better than the Sunday night blues I used to get before I retired. 

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I took my 6 year old nephew to parkrun junior this morning, 2k for 4 to 14 year olds. It's really good and my nephew enjoyed it, but I saw so many arsehole parents. 

There was one little lad in front of us, maybe 4 or 5, who was obviously struggling and was asking his dad for a drink. His dad let him have one sip, but was saying as he was running "drink and run, just one sip, drink and run". A little further along when the kid stopped his dad said "come on, don't stop here, you're on for a P.B!"

I saw a little girl crying saying she didn't want do it anymore. My sister said she saw another little girl stop, only about 6, and when she said she couldn't do it her dad said "PMA - positive mental attitude".

I'm all for encouraging your kids and pushing them a little but this was another level, it's supposed to be fun.

I've not been to one of these but will be soon so I'm looking forward to it. 

I think you've forgotten the first two rules of parenting.

1 - Any large event with small children is guaranteed bedlam and kids will be having meltdowns/crying everywhere you look. 

2 - Never judge another parent. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Dude, that's something that could become a habit if you're not careful.

Work/Life balance an all that 

9 hours ago, Xela said:

I was just reading about them. Horrific. 

The kind of story that makes people want to GTFO of cities. But then you remember that if you're not rich, you ain't moving to the countryside.

11 hours ago, villaglint said:

I've not been to one of these but will be soon so I'm looking forward to it. 

I think you've forgotten the first two rules of parenting.

1 - Any large event with small children is guaranteed bedlam and kids will be having meltdowns/crying everywhere you look. 

2 - Never judge another parent. 

That you Gerry McCann?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Sunday night blues. 

I had a bad case of the Sunday evening Blues yesterday.

I'm not even in work this week, but the way the place is going it is crippling everyone with the work volumes and no one is going to touch my work whilst I'm off. I was actually thinking about cancelling my holiday and just rocking up to work today.

Thankfully I didn't and I'm not going think about the place for the next 7 days at all after this post

54 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm not even in work this week, but the way the place is going it is crippling everyone with the work volumes and no one is going to touch my work whilst I'm off. I was actually thinking about cancelling my holiday and just rocking up to work today.

Thankfully I didn't and I'm not going think about the place for the next 7 days at all after this post

IMO, the worst thing you can do when you're chronically overworked is to just keep working yourself in to the ground to try to get the job done.

If it's a rare event and an unforeseen issue comes up, I'll put in extra hours, but if management just leave you overworked week after week, month after month, the only way they're going to see the error of their ways is when they have people breathing down their neck because the work's not getting done.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

If she toned down the war paint and wore something more modest, she'd slay me. B)

She'd slay me if she didn't look like a tranny.

21 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Dude, that's something that could become a habit if you're not careful.

Work/Life balance an all that 

I'm not as bad as I was. Was just a perfect (shit)storm of stuff to do today. Survived though! 

• Like 1

Regarding working hours I don't like to stick to the set breaks because it makes the day drag.  Weekend work I go through stages of wanting it all the time then not being arsed. You can get into the habit of working weekends though. About three year ago July up until December I had one Saturday off. I also worked a lot of Sundays too in that time scale. Had the wife nagging me, but I was hooked on working weekends and felt guilty if I never. Shit really, but we had plenty of money for xmas. Since then I rarely work Saturdays now, although I worked last Saturday. 

Strict lunch breaks/breaks/finishing times/starting times wind me up.

My current office is slowly introducing flexible hours, but I already let my guys come and go as they please (within reason, obviously)

I understand the need for the rigid hours in certain situations and jobs. But sticking to it completely rigidly is ridiculous.

The other half wanted to have an extended lunch the other day (an hour instead of half an hour) to meet a friend, and offered to work half an hour extra at the end of the day instead. It was flat out refused. No reason behind it. Just "that's the way it is".

All it means is she leaves at her finishing time on the dot every single day, even if there's something she needs to finish.

Give and take.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Strict lunch breaks/breaks/finishing times/starting times wind me up.

My current office is slowly introducing flexible hours, but I already let my guys come and go as they please (within reason, obviously)

I understand the need for the rigid hours in certain situations and jobs. But sticking to it completely rigidly is ridiculous.

The other half wanted to have an extended lunch the other day (an hour instead of half an hour) to meet a friend, and offered to work half an hour extra at the end of the day instead. It was flat out refused. No reason behind it. Just "that's the way it is".

All it means is she leaves at her finishing time on the dot every single day, even if there's something she needs to finish.

Give and take.

We have flex days at our place, we work an extra 45 minutes every day and get a day off every two weeks. 

We each have a set day, but most team leaders are happy to let you move it around if it's needed.

A few months back, I was moved on to a team where in the first week I needed to move my flex day for some reason and I was told I couldn't by my new team leader, it had to be on my set day. I had to use a days holiday instead.

Two weeks later, the work was piling up and there was a piece of work that needed to be completed on my flex day. My team leader asked me if I could move my flex day. I said I couldn't, I lied and said I had plans, but I really wish I'd said "Nope, sorry, I have to take my flex on my set day.". Either way, it felt good leaving them in a bit of a mess.

As you say, it's give and take.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

We have flex days at our place, we work an extra 45 minutes every day and get a day off every two weeks. 

We each have a set day, but most team leaders are happy to let you move it around if it's needed.

A few months back, I was moved on to a team where in the first week I needed to move my flex day for some reason and I was told I couldn't by my new team leader, it had to be on my set day. I had to use a days holiday instead.

Two weeks later, the work was piling up and there was a piece of work that needed to be completed on my flex day. My team leader asked me if I could move my flex day. I said I couldn't, I lied and said I had plans, but I really wish I'd said "Nope, sorry, I have to take my flex on my set day.". Either way, it felt good leaving them in a bit of a mess.

As you say, it's give and take.

Exactly.

You can't expect your staff to be flexible for you and go the extra mile when it's required if you don't give them anything back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

My team leader asked me if I could move my flex day. I said I couldn't, I lied and said I had plans, but I really wish I'd said "Nope, sorry, I have to take my flex on my set day.". Either way, it felt good leaving them in a bit of a mess.

Yep the temptation would be to say "You ARE having a laugh aren't you?" and let him work out the hypocrisy for himself.

• Like 2

Â