Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Jet setter. When you coming back? Don't say same day!

Not quite as bad for me. 5am wake up call as need to be in York for 10am meeting. Few hours there. Hoping  I be back in Brum by 6pm. 

It's a two day meeting, most likely with the customary get drunk in the sauna and swim in the lake thing that Finns like to do in the middle of the night..

I'll take a drive to York any day over going to T2 Heathrow :) 

Edit: And I just remembered that I need to pack ultra strength jungle formula mosquito repellent. Last time I had stings in places where I didn't think I had skin..

Edited by magnkarl

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

It's a two day meeting, most likely with the customary get drunk in the sauna and swim in the lake things that Finns like to do in the middle of the night..

I'll take a drive to York any day over going to T2 Heathrow :) 

Just tell them Santa doesn't exist ;) I've never seen more drunk people than a Saturday night in Helsinki. It was crazy. 

Letting the train take the strain tomorrow. Just hope I don't nod off otherwise i'll be in Glasgow! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Just tell them Santa doesn't exist ;) I've never seen more drunk people than a Saturday night in Helsinki. It was crazy. 

Letting the train take the strain tomorrow. Just hope I don't nod off otherwise i'll be in Glasgow! 

Helsinki used to have an awesome Irish bar called Molly Malones or something that I went to in the 90's with the same people - I've never seen such an amount of drunk people in one place either. They've got laws about alcohol now though - if you want to buy more than what seems like a personal "fix" they'll ask you the reason for shopping it and you get put on a register.

The professor that owns this cabin in the woods in Rovaniemi also makes his own blueberry vodka, it's like industrial strength disinfectant with a hint of ribena..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

Jet setter. When you coming back? Don't say same day!

Not quite as bad for me. 5am wake up call as need to be in York for 10am meeting. Few hours there. Hoping  I be back in Brum by 6pm. 

Some cracking boozers in York, if you get the chance. Even if you just get in the York Tap on the station.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Some cracking boozers in York, if you get the chance. Even if you just get in the York Tap on the station.

Went on a pub crawl in York a few months ago, great boozers, can't remember what it's called but the old fashioned tiny pub in the city centre that serves amazing pork pies was memorable. It's in the CAMRA guide.  

York and Sheffield are spoilt for pubs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Went on a pub crawl in York a few months ago, great boozers, can't remember what it's called but the old fashioned tiny pub in the city centre that serves amazing pork pies was memorable. It's in the CAMRA guide.  

York and Sheffield are spoilt for pubs. 

Probably the Bluebell? Great little pub, but can obviously get very full, quickly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Tomorrow I have to get up at 4am to go to Heathrow, followed by a 3 hour flight to Helsinki. I then have to get on another flight for an hour to go to Oulu in an old propeller plane, then a 2 hour bus ride in the most boring of pinewood flat forest awaits until I arrive in Rovaniemi (home of santa) for a meeting with people from Oulu university.

#humblebrag

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The Charlie Gard case is finally over.

I get that his parents were desperate but they've dragged GOSH's name through the mud and they continue to do so. Disgusting.

Also, the doctor who wanted to treat him has financial interests in the compound that 'could' have helped Charlie.

And their statement on their website...

urgh. I had sympathy for them when I first heard of the case but it quickly went away and turned to disgust in how they've acted.

I hate everything about this entire thing.

I hate how the parents lied through their teeth.

I hate how the kid has been left to suffer because they selfishly couldn't let go.

I hate how the doctor in the US attempted to profit off some desperate and deluded parents.

I hate how the American right have latched onto this case to try and prove 'socialized healthcare death panels' exist..

I hate how a great hospital, that does great work, has been dragged through the mud needlessly.

I'm guessing you don't have children.

Not that it precludes you from having or expressing an opinion, but I think it means you are missing a significant insight into their mindset. I also don't think people should judge them unless they've walked in their shoes, nobody hand on heart can say what they would do in their situation and I really hope non of us have to find out.

You might be sick off hearing about it, be sick of the negative impact of the story but the case being over means the imminent death of a small child and the absolute crushing loss that will be felt by those who loved him. 

I don't know enough about the case, or the motives of the US doctor to comment I've largely avoided the story as its too close to home but I find people casting judgement on the parents repulsive to be quite honest. 

The parents did everything they could to try and save their child, if you feel in a position to judge them for that then so be it. But I know, as a father of two boys there isn't a thing that I wouldn't do to try and save my kids.

It is regrettable that there has been a negative impact on the hospital and the staff who have provided care but your post suggest that's that the perceived medical experts view is always correct. It isn't.

Do you recall the below story?

The parents of five-year-old Ashya King, who were detained after taking him abroad for brain tumour treatment, say their son is now free of cancer.

Brett and Naghemeh King were held in prison in Madrid last summer after taking their son from hospital in Southampton against medical advice.

They took him to receive treatment in Prague that was unavailable in the UK.

The NHS Trust that treated Ashya has declined to comment on his current condition.

Mr King has told

the Sun newspaper a recent scan showed "no evidence" of the tumour.

Mr and Mrs King took Ashya out of Southampton General Hospital last August, after disagreeing with doctors about his treatment and deciding to seek proton beam treatment abroad.

They took him to Spain but were arrested at the request of the British authorities and held in Madrid's Soto Del Real prison.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32013634

• Like 4

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The Charlie Gard case is finally over.

I get that his parents were desperate but they've dragged GOSH's name through the mud and they continue to do so. Disgusting.

Also, the doctor who wanted to treat him has financial interests in the compound that 'could' have helped Charlie.

And their statement on their website...

urgh. I had sympathy for them when I first heard of the case but it quickly went away and turned to disgust in how they've acted.

I hate everything about this entire thing.

I hate how the parents lied through their teeth.

I hate how the kid has been left to suffer because they selfishly couldn't let go.

I hate how the doctor in the US attempted to profit off some desperate and deluded parents.

I hate how the American right have latched onto this case to try and prove 'socialized healthcare death panels' exist..

I hate how a great hospital, that does great work, has been dragged through the mud needlessly.

Wait until you have a terminally ill child before condemning thm eh?  You can't possibly relate to what they've been going through.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have children (and a grandchild), and I agree with Stefan. 

Then I find that even more unpalatable.

Those poor parents are about to lose their little boy and people want to judge them, that just doesn't sit right with me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's not a case of judging them. I totally understand how they feel. I just think they've taken the wrong course. 

I think the original post which I commented on is judging them, you said you agreed with it.

If there was a chance of saving my sick child not available on the NHS or in this country, I'd take it.  

As Trent has shown, it does sometimes work. 

Â