Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I don't find him funny, but I don't find him annoying either.  He's just one of those 'wacky' ones I don't get.  I don't mind when he ends up on the odd comedy panel show.  Unlike others like Phil Jupitus, who has cost me about 2 televisions at last count.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't find him funny, but I don't find him annoying either.  He's just one of those 'wacky' ones I don't get.  I don't mind when he ends up on the odd comedy panel show.  Unlike others like Phil Jupitus, who has cost me about 2 televisions at last count.

It's his combination of 'wacky' comedy that I just don't find funny and the fact that he has that stupid grin on his face all the time which makes it seem like he finds himself absolutely hilarious, for me. I may well be judging him incorrectly on the last count but I just don't think he's funny in the slightest.

I actually quite like Jupitus on panel shows though, he's always good on QI and if he wasn't on Buzzcocks I'd probably have stopped watching it by now.

4 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I actually quite like Jupitus on panel shows though, he's always good on QI and if he wasn't on Buzzcocks I'd probably have stopped watching it by now.

Oh Jesus we really differ on him.  Other than Sue Perkins who I just can't stand, Jupitus always massively takes away from those QI episodes with his 'contributions'.  He gets left behind by the actual comedians and usually adds a loud bit at the end of their jokes just to be involved in some way.  He's pathetic.  He's like the Rob Schneider of British comedy panel shows.  He must know the right people to keep getting bookings.  It's a relatively small pool I suppose.

As for Buzzcocks. I was never a big fan, but far and away the best thing about that show was Simon Amstell.

Maybe Fielding gets an easy ride because I actually don't see a whole lot of him.

• Like 1

Amstell was brilliant and it went downhill after he left for sure, but I've always found Jupitus as quite a likeable chap.

I'm pretty disappointed with most of the people they have on QI and don't feel like they contribute much. They have Johnny Vegas and Ross Noble on there quite often and I always wonder why. Vegas never seems to do much at all (and I don't really find him funny when he actually does try, QI isn't really his scene anyway in my opinion) and Noble's brand of weird improvised comedy just comes across as a bit silly to me. In the ones I've seen, Jupitus seems to be pretty heavily involved. My favourite panelist was Toksvig though I haven't seen any of the new episodes with her hosting so I don't know what the show's like now.

Fielding is funny when he has someone to bounce off. Without JB he struggles. His own show for eg. was awful much like his stand up but when he is doing stuff as the Boosh he can be great. He was brilliant in the Trailer Park Boys in Europe thing on Netflix.

But yeah, on his own he is crap.

I still think the best thing Fielding has done is his character in The IT Crowd. He was great in that.

**EDIT** Oh, and Monkey Man in Garth Marenghi! :crylaugh:

As for Jupitus, I can't stand him and from what i've been told he's not a nice fellow at all.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I still think the best thing Fielding has done is his character in The IT Crowd. He was great in that.

**EDIT** Oh, and Monkey Man in Garth Marenghi! :crylaugh:

As for Jupitus, I can't stand him and from what i've been told he's not a nice fellow at all.

Pretty much this word for word, although I'm a massive Boosh fan.

The only thing Jupitus has done, which made me laugh was his stand up bit he did about his daughter's boyfriend stopping over. Other than that, I find him painfully unfunny. I do like the video for Sexuality by Billy Bragg though, so I'll give him a shout for directing that.

• Like 1

Jupitus - hit and miss, but always seemed like he was sound, disappointing if he's a bit of a polisher of rockets. Noel Fielding has that Russell Brand "pleasecansomeonepunchhim" persona about him, but as per D1's post has contributed some elements in his craft that are funny. The Mighty Boosh however, annoys me so much I think - in this phenomenally absurdist hypothetical scenario where for some inexplicable reason my sophie's choice moment is between two items of entertainment televsion - I would literally rather watch that one with the Irish chap who dresses up as a granny Brown's Boys is it? 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Fact: I have never laughed at anything Jupitus has ever said in the 20+ years I've been aware of him. The male Jo Brand.

I genuinely find Jo Brand funny.  The rest of the people mentioned (except Johnny Vegas) though I find as funny as a starving child, especially Jupitus.  I always get pissed off at the start of a panel show when it turns out that he's on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It always amazes me that I haven't been head hunted for panel shows.

Some of the stuff I've banged out on here has been **** grade A genius comedy.

True, but the allocation for Welsh comedians has been filled.

Sadly for you Max Boyce's quadruple heart bypass was a success. :)

41 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

True, but the allocation for Welsh comedians has been filled.

Sadly for you Max Boyce's quadruple heart bypass was a success. :)

I would quite happily see a fellow Villatalker replace Rhod Gilbert on any future panel shows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I would quite happily see a fellow Villatalker replace Rhod Gilbert on any future panel shows.

Ah now here.  There's nowt wrong with Rhod except how he spells his stupid first name.

6 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I see what you mean but that would deny the world the benefit of the greatest living exponent of anthaposiphist shed architecture.  

A genuine question: have I mentioned the secret shed project I'm currently working on?

I don't think I would have, I think I've tried not to mention work too much on soshie sites. You never know who's looking in.

But I'm currently working on a truly significant shed, no expense spared. Seriously, we're talking about weeks of research in to types and shades of timber veneer alone.

Â