Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

25 minutes ago, brommy said:

The location of finish line for the 'Great Birmingham' half marathon. After showcasing south Brum's leafy suburbs via the Pershore Road, Bournville, Cannon Hill park and Edgbaston, the final focal point for UK viewers watching on TV was the grey Travelodge on Broad Street. I'm sure they could have modified part of the course to finish the race at Centenary Square, but no, the Council decided on the crappy Travelodge. Even the slightly better looking Novotel, immediately opposite, was masked by grey portacabins. Doh!

I wouldn't worry too much, according to a recent article in the Times, Birmingham has cheap housing, scores very high in the quality of life ratings and your cockneys are moving to Brum in droves.

Read somewhere that Lego's easy charm displacing Meccano spelled the end of an era of great British engineering :detect:

I'd thought Meccano had died, but the French made it too, and they've kept going.

They stayed with imperial measurements, Meccano is completely backward compatible with sets over a century old.

That's a great toy really. It's got to be better than fad plastic shite.

• Like 1

We've covered this before, but I was a bit of a scale models nerd as a kid (Airfix, etc.) , so I could never really see the appeal of things made out of Meccano or Lego, as they were so unrealistic - one was full of holes and the other was too cubic and covered with plastic pimples. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I wouldn't worry too much, according to a recent article in the Times, Birmingham has cheap housing, scores very high in the quality of life ratings and your cockneys are moving to Brum in droves.

Unfortunately, I think it will take more than an occasional article in the paper to remind everyone that Birmingham is, by some distance, the UK's second city. This morning's half marathon was a small but easy opportunity to show everyone that Birmingham isn't as drab as perceived. It was looking decent until that finish.

The Olympic and Paralympic parade happening in Manchester. Why?

I assume London wasn't interested and Birmingham wouldn't stump up the cash anyway, buts its stuff like this that (incorrectly) cements the notion that Manchester is England's second city

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Olympic and Paralympic parade happening in Manchester. Why?

I assume London wasn't interested and Birmingham wouldn't stump up the cash anyway, buts its stuff like this that (incorrectly) cements the notion that Manchester is England's second city

Probably something to do with the velodrome being there as well. I don't suppose many of the athletes train in Birmingham.

On 16 October 2016 at 14:51, Xela said:

I had loads of Lego as a kid but it was just blocks for building what I wanted. Surely that was the fun part of it? Making something yourself, be it a house, or a car, etc. 

They're just overpriced jigsaw puzzles now

That kind of stuff put them with in a gnats pube of going out of business in the 90s

the missus got me the millennium falcon for Christmas, what a mistake that was, some of it is genius to be fair to them, the price is horrendous though

My son had a Pirates of The Carribean pirate ship made by Lego, bought as a present from his nan a few years ago. He never built it and it just sat in its box for for a few years until I realised how much these things go for now. £280 on eBay!!! And to think I was gonna chuck it to a car boot for £20. 

A collector from Ireland bought it. A full grown man of over 40, that still lives with his mum*. It's crazy what people will pay for Lego. 

*cannot be verified. 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

My son had a Pirates of The Carribean pirate ship made by Lego, bought as a present from his nan a few years ago. He never built it and it just sat in its box for for a few years until I realised how much these things go for now. £280 on eBay!!! And to think I was gonna chuck it to a car boot for £20. 

A collector from Ireland bought it. A full grown man of over 40, that still lives with his mum*. It's crazy what people will pay for Lego. 

*cannot be verified. 

It gets worse than that!

a large part of the collectors for Lego seemingly only go for the minifigures, there are a lot of sets out there unbuilt but the seller has taken the figures out, these figures can go for more than the value of the sets

some of the bigger Star Wars collectors edition sets such as the super star destroyer, which to be fair is huge and looks ace, will go for over £1k

in June, my driving test was cancelled an hour before I was supposed to take it. Shit happens, that's fine. They allow me to claim back for payments to my driving instructor for that time and the lesson immediately beforehand, so far, so good.

I have to submit it by post, because government. Fine, whatever.

3 months later, when I've almost forgot, I recieve a letter to tell me that my claim is successful, and I'll hear back later about payment...Ok.

A further month later, I recieve a cheque with both my name and address mispelled on it, despite having my name correct in the letter, and me having to fill in my name, and give them my driving licence number on the claim form.

My bank won't accept it, so I called the phone number on the cheque. "Sorry sir, you've got the wrong number, you need to call these guys...", so I call the number he gives me, which is for a department which can only be reached by phone between 8am and 12pm, Monday to Friday.

I applaud the DVSA's efforts to ensure that they save government money by making a relatively simple process as frustrating, inconvenient and time consuming as possible.

Edited by Davkaus

On 14/10/2016 at 20:04, Xela said:

People who talk into their mobiles like they are in the The Apprentice

I am happy that I've no idea how any word removed on that show talks into their mobile phone.  The people who go on that show are a lot of what I hate about people.

Ergo...

On 14/10/2016 at 20:09, mjmooney said:

The Apprentice. 

:thumb:

• Like 3

On 15/10/2016 at 14:15, mjmooney said:

I wouldn't trust them anyway. I've seen plenty of drivers indicate and then carry straight on. 

Is the right answer.

As a mate of mine once deftly put it "Do you know what it means when someone has their indicator on?  It means their indicator is working".

Â