Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

... but yep I agree it will all come out  .... except it probably wont as the kid will settle out of court on the condition nobody ever speaks about it ..which is probably the whole point of the lawsuit to start with  ....

I'd say if he's talking through his arse he'll get the square root of f**k all for compensation though.  Actually now that I think about it, with the way judges protect police departments etc over there he'll probably get nothing irrespective of innocence.  Yeah you're right.  It'll probably never come out.

15 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm looking for the word "most" in my post, and I can't seem to find it....

Didn't say you did. I apologise if it came across that way. I was trying to diffuse your somewhat crude attempt at classifying male mental health issues, as you had obviously struck a nerve with JB.

Carry on .... 

Edited by Jon

On 24 November 2015 17:10:49, tonyh29 said:

apparently you want to give him $15m .. I'd say next you'll be wearing a pink shirt to work * When you say it was established  , Is this established  or the wording in his frivolous lawsuit claim ? because on one hand I see that he was questioned by police for an hour and a half , handcuffed, and transported to a juvenile detention facility, fingerprinted and photographed and then released to his parents which differs vastly from the account you give above  ... so , has it been established which version of events are true ?

(* lets see who gets it)

Crudely cashing in, can't exactly blame them, they are looking for an easy and life changing pay day, but yeah, I hope they lose, outrageous 'damages' being sought. 

Without intending to get too deep and certainly not throwing a pity party, just saying for a sense of balance. My Grandad, who was in fine health seemingly before-hand, lost his life to Mesothelioma just over a year ago, which was established to have been a result of contact to asbestos during employment; I think around £100k was payed out. This kids parents have purely got the pound, more aptly dollar, signs in their eyes to the tune of $15M just because he had his feelings hurt for a few hours? Not saying he shouldn't receive anything but this I find it completely and utterly ridiculous, and I hope it's thrown out just due to the audacity of the number.

• Like 1

A guy on social media, posting photos of his new purchases. Well done, you've figured out how to:

A) get a loan

B ) lease a car

C) get yourself into debt

or

D) stay at home with your parents and don't plan on moving out anytime soon

First a photo of a car he's having delivered, and now a photo of a personalised number plate he's just bought. The screenshot of which, conveniently included the price tag of £799.

He works in a Virgin Media store, so unless he's been bottling internet and selling it on the downlow, he's not as flash as he thinks he is.

• Like 3

Without intending to get too deep and certainly not throwing a pity party, just saying for a sense of balance. My Grandad, who was in fine health seemingly before-hand, lost his life to Mesothelioma just over a year ago, which was established to have been a result of contact to asbestos during employment; I think around £100k was payed out. This kids parents have purely got the pound, more aptly dollar, signs in their eyes to the tune of $15M just because he had his feelings hurt for a few hours? Not saying he shouldn't receive anything but this I find it completely and utterly ridiculous, and I hope it's thrown out just due to the audacity of the number.

Exactly this. Some compo sure (in the thousands?). But $15M?! No way.

• Like 1

It's American culture vs British culture though.

It isn't in our culture to sue for millions. It's regular and commonplace over there.

And let's be honest, he didn't just have his feelings hurt for a few hours did he? That's a pretty small simplification and de-escalation of what happened.

I think the school and police need to be investigated for their conduct, potentially fined, I don't think he should get compensation though.

What economic harm did he come to? If anything he profited from it, he got a full scholarship on the back of it, received worldwide support, was invited to go and visit the **** president...He was treated terribly for an afternoon, then most right thinking people rallied around him, and he's so upset he deserves $15m? Seems reasonable.

I think this is one thing British courts generally get right, you get compensated for actual financial harm, none of this paying people for "emotional harm" bullshit.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think the school and police need to be investigated for their conduct, potentially find, I don't think he should get compensation though.

What economic harm did he come to? If anything he profited from it, he got a full scholarship on the back of it, received worldwide support, was invited to go and visit the **** president...He was treated terribly for an afternoon, then most right thinking people rallied around him, and he's so upset he deserves $15m? Seems reasonable.

I think this is one thing British courts generally get right, you get compensated for actual financial harm, none of this paying people for "emotional harm" bullshit.

Forgetting the specifics of the case, this seems to be denying that 'emotional harm' is actually a real thing. Is that what you intended to say?

I intend to say that unless it has a material impact on someone's life, it's not something that should require compensation to be paid. Upset, scare, or discriminate someone? Well you might be punished, if it's a crime, but unless it's something that results in a degree of trauma that it leads to missing work, psychiatrist fees, etc, I don't see why any money should change hands, and even then it should be limited to the financial loss of the victim. I'm not a fan of punitive damages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

Exactly this. Some compo sure (in the thousands?). But $15M?! No way.

Yup. simply just a pay day for his family.

The kid has met the president and has had a lot of opportunities opened up for him because of this incident, but a cool $15m will of course smooth things over even more, the family will never have to work again, and I'm sure clock boy will become a very benevolent 'thought leader' after cashing in. 

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I intend to say that unless it has a material impact on someone's life, it's not something that should require compensation to be paid. Upset, scare, or discriminate someone? Well you might be punished, if it's a crime, but unless it's something that results in a degree of trauma that it leads to missing work, psychiatrist fees, etc, I don't see why any money should change hands, and even then it should be limited to the financial loss of the victim. I'm not a fan of punitive damages.

Thanks for clarifying. 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said: I think the school and police need to be investigated for their conduct, potentially find, I don't think he should get compensation though.

Forgetting the specifics of the case, this seems to be denying that 'emotional harm' is actually a real thing. Is that what you intended to say?

It's a real thing, but by definition cannot be fixed by money.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a real thing, but by definition cannot be fixed by money.

But it can (with luck and time) by people who cost money  - mental health experts and such like?

Why are people getting so bent out of shape about the $15m. The kids family won't get anywhere near it.

Sue for a really big number, annoy, irritate and harass public bodies and they'll guarantee a settlement for a small to moderate number.

No fault or liability will be admitted. The family walk off with a couple of $m and the cops/school system get to forget it happened drama free.

1 hour ago, Eames said:

Why are people getting so bent out of shape about the $15m. The kids family won't get anywhere near it.

Sue for a really big number, annoy, irritate and harass public bodies and they'll guarantee a settlement for a small to moderate number.

No fault or liability will be admitted. The family walk off with a couple of $m and the cops/school system get to forget it happened drama free.

A couple of $M is just as obscene as $15M. Anything over a couple thousand dollars is, imo.

Â