Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What a word removed. When I'm out with work/friends I just tag along with wherever the majority want to go, and figure something out with the waitress/chef if they don't have a set veggie menu.

It must be quite an odd place you're going to though, I've not come across anywhere that hasn't been incredibly accommodating with food substitutions. Even TGI Fridays put me something together from different parts of the menu when nothing obvious jumped out. I guess with Christmas it might be a bit more problematic with set menus.

Well that's kind of the point. I'm sure if we asked the place they'd accommodate her needs, especially in advance.

But her attitude appears to be "there's nothing on the menu for me so we have to go somewhere else"

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's kind of the point. I'm sure if we asked the place they'd accommodate her needs, especially in advance.

But her attitude appears to be "there's nothing on the menu for me so we have to go somewhere else"

Volley her in the jaw

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

An increasingly automated and specialized economy has unsurprisingly pushed the undertrained, under skilled and undereducated to a point where they start to think they as men are redundant. I think basic despair as a direct correlation to their economic prospects is what drives so many of these suicides, not necessarily a diagnosed disorder.  Men who are aged out at 50 or so, and are essentially told to **** off, there's no room for you anymore.

WTF?! That's a gross generalisation that seems to write-off the experiences of the thousands of educated, skilled and trained men suffering from genuine mental health issues.

Edited by JB

34 minutes ago, JB said:

WTF?! That's a gross generalisation that seems to write-off the experiences of the thousands of educated, skilled and trained men suffering from genuine mental health issues.

Indeed. Whilst I'm sure he didn't mean to do that, to seek to classify 'most' mental health issues as being suffered by ageing men people with poor education/training/life chances etc does really oversimplify mental health problems ion general. They may well be the most prone demographic, but there are a multitude of reasons for people/men to suffer mental health problems, not simply socio-economic ones.

Just look at our own Stanley Victor Collymore for but 1 example.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jon said:

Indeed. Whilst I'm sure he didn't mean to do that, to seek to classify 'most' mental health issues as being suffered by ageing men people with poor education/training/life chances etc does really oversimplify mental health problems ion general. They may well be the most prone demographic, but there are a multitude of reasons for people/men to suffer mental health problems, not simply socio-economic ones.

Just look at our own Stanley Victor Collymore for but 1 example.

Exactly. Suicide is the leading cause of death for men (and women) between the ages of 20 and 34 in England and Wales, regardless of socioeconomic status or background. Suggesting that there is always an explainable 'reason' for the issues that lead to men resorting to such drastic measures is plain wrong. 

• Like 1

Reference the debate on male mental illness and suicide.

Might be a subject where research could help as much as anecdote and opinion. There are some very good documents easily available via google from both the Office of National Statistics and the Samaritans.

ONS

Samaritans

Mental Health Org

MHO free booklet download

Is suicide always automatically the result of an underlying 'mental illness' though?  I don't think so.  Surely circumstances can be bad enough that someone takes the drastic pragmatic approach that 'this'll fix everything'.  No chemical imbalance required.  No childhood trauma or ticking time bomb.  Just a flashpoint in their life where the decision-making processes all come together with one solution.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is suicide always automatically the result of an underlying 'mental illness' though?  I don't think so.  Surely circumstances can be bad enough that someone takes the drastic pragmatic approach that 'this'll fix everything'.  No chemical imbalance required.  No childhood trauma or ticking time bomb.  Just a flashpoint in their life where the decision-making processes all come together with one solution.

Indeed Bri. You don't HAVE to be 'mentally ill' to kill yourself (though it is often a contributory factor).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That kid who took a homemade clock to school and got arrested coz it looked like a bomb is suing the school for $15m

He thought he was going to have to do time for it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That kid who took a homemade clock to school and got arrested coz it looked like a bomb is suing the school for $15m

I honestly don't blame them.

I'm guessing they are aiming high and hoping for a settlement at a more modest level.

Good luck to the kid, it was disgusting treatment of him really.

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Honestly I don't know the full story, do you think he had other intentions than innocently making a clock? Was he hoping to shock or create a panic?

Do you think he was treated fairly?

I think there was an overreaction. But look at the clock. That looks like a bomb, so I can understand why the issue arose.

But regardless of that, my poin was really is it worth $15m?!

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there was an overreaction. But look at the clock. That looks like a bomb, so I can understand why the issue arose.

But regardless of that, my poin was really is it worth $15m?!

Obviously not but surely the intention is to scare them with a big figure and settle for something much less?

Again, you can hardly blame them for doing it, I'm sure I would in their shoes.

Â