Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Modern day feminists are words removed, every single one of them

Blimey! Most of 'em are absolutely fine, though there's a few wackos. Anyone campaigning for equality or equal treatment and opportunity is OK, that's a good thing. it's when it turns into what appears to be a desire for overriding supremacy and advantage or man hating that is parodic that it becomes just daft.

This Uni thing is another example of outrageists winning over sanity. There seems to be more of that sort of thing happening. Every different part of society fighting to have their particular viewpoint proclaimed as the only one that can be spoken and that all others must be silenced. They become the opposite of what they claim to be "we want a fair and equal and free society.... No you can't voice that view, no you can't come to our uni, no you can't say that" 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Blimey! Most of 'em are absolutely fine, though there's a few wackos. Anyone campaigning for equality or equal treatment and opportunity is OK, that's a good thing. it's when it turns into what appears to be a desire for overriding supremacy and advantage or man hating that is parodic that it becomes just daft.

This Uni thing is another example of outrageists winning over sanity. There seems to be more of that sort of thing happening. Every different part of society fighting to have their particular viewpoint proclaimed as the only one that can be spoken and that all others must be silenced. They become the opposite of what they claim to be "we want a fair and equal and free society.... No you can't voice that view, no you can't come to our uni, no you can't say that" 

As you say blandy, feminism is fine and a worthy cause. Militant feminism is not.

Oh and 7/10 WB

Feminism-these-days.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

No the point of it is to be unnecessarily cruel to the animal and it should be banned. Until it's banned it should be branded as "pro-cruelty" so that people don't accidentally eat it.

All meat is pro cruelty.

(Hey, some funny bastard put some Geldof lyrics under my name, I've got to live up to it)

Edited by Davkaus

3 hours ago, BOF said:

That's the mildest form of vegetarian I've ever heard of.  I know veggies who will throw away an entire meal if any piece of cutlery touches their plate having touched another plate that had meat on it, regardless of whether the cutlery touched the meat or not.  I think that's what can give vegetarians a bad name, the fact that some of them are properly bad mental.

yeah, conclusive proof I'm one of the good guys

I was doing it to save the planet and feed the world. The land and water and drugs we waste growing feed for animals to then eat the animals is ridiculous. We have bacteria in China and Malaysia that are now both fully resistant to the anti biotics of last resort and capable of jumping species or carriers with ease. This is at least in part because we routinely, worldwide, pump our animals full of drugs we can't afford to give to the poor. It's truly obscene. Forget ISIS, we put the pieces in place years ago to make sure future generations have a thoroughly horrible time of it. Don't get a cut or a break on the football field in 2025, there will be a good chance it kills you.

We're burning down the rainforest so teenagers can get fat on burgers. 

For some bizarre reason, we've persuaded the Chinese to drink more milk. A lot more milk. So that's more cattle, needing more land for cattle feed.

But yeah, you know, no point in getting precious or preachy. People like some sausage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to think if that was me, I'd say "look, book wherever you want to go, and we can ask them if they can accommodate my requirements. if they can't I won't eat lunch and I'll just have a drink or something"

But this woman just immediately said, when the original choice was made, 

"Oh we can't go there, there's nothing on the menu I can eat"

What a word removed. When I'm out with work/friends I just tag along with wherever the majority want to go, and figure something out with the waitress/chef if they don't have a set veggie menu.

It must be quite an odd place you're going to though, I've not come across anywhere that hasn't been incredibly accommodating with food substitutions. Even TGI Fridays put me something together from different parts of the menu when nothing obvious jumped out. I guess with Christmas it might be a bit more problematic with set menus.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

International Men's Day. 

What's wrong with it?

If it raises awareness and opens support channels for men who have mental health issues, then it's only a good thing.

• Like 2

It doesn't raise awareness of men's mental health issues, it gives Fathers 4 Justice types an opportunity to bore on about how 'they're the real victims'. Male mental health issues aren't the problem, working class mental health issues are. The increase in male suicide rate is almost entirely amongst men with lower educational attainment. 

Women at least have the excuse that they genuinely do suffer discrimination. But yes, I do think it's fairly ironic witnessing the type of men who've spent literally years and years moaning about feminism suddenly discovering the joys of being able to proclaim themselves victims. 

• Like 1

An increasingly automated and specialized economy has unsurprisingly pushed the undertrained, under skilled and undereducated to a point where they start to think they as men are redundant. I think basic despair as a direct correlation to their economic prospects is what drives so many of these suicides, not necessarily a diagnosed disorder.  Men who are aged out at 50 or so, and are essentially told to **** off, there's no room for you anymore.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maqroll said:

An increasingly automated and specialized economy has unsurprisingly pushed the undertrained, under skilled and undereducated to a point where they start to think they as men are redundant. I think basic despair as a direct correlation to their economic prospects is what drives so many of these suicides, not necessarily a diagnosed disorder.  Men who are aged out at 50 or so, and are essentially told to **** off, there's no room for you anymore.

Yes, this. Very well put. 

Â