Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 23/04/2023 at 03:55, villa4europe said:

Watched an amazon documentary on the music of James bond, was OK, some interesting bits, too much jumping around and too much starting interesting snippets without then going deeper (kw)

What it did do, at a time when JB is at a low for me, is remind me just how much I **** love the series

It also quite happily spoiled the ending of the last film, which I thought was a bad film and I'm still shocked by the end but also just how the end got me

Tempted to do a run through of them all, got me excited for my 1 year old to be old enough to watch them with me

I couldnt finish it for the reasons youve mentioned. Shame because it's a great idea for a documentary, but it's kind of a mess of a production.

• Like 1

Lionel Messi:  Destiny on BBC iPlayer is pretty good (Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001mp3x/lionel-messi-destiny)

If you don't watch the whole thing, at least go from 32:30 - talking about Argentina vs Netherlands.  Sequence is:

"It goes to penalties"
<orchestral music starts playing>
Gary Lineker:  "...and obviously, the Argentinian goalkeeper is quite a character - and one you absolutely want on your side when you're in a penalty shootout, that's for sure!"
<clip of Martinez shaking Noppert's hand>
Sofi Martinez:  "ha haaa!"
Cristian Martin:  "We had Emiliano - which is our ace"
<clip of Martinez walking>
Pablo Zabaleta whilst smiling:  "hehehe, Emi"
<Martinez saving a penalty>

It's just a beautiful 25 seconds or so :D 

• Like 4

On 11/05/2023 at 19:39, villa4europe said:

Seen the first two parts, you can't begrudge him his fortune after working so hard. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I expected "Never Give In", the Alex Ferguson story to be not much better than a puff piece, cookie-cutter football doc. But the film is excellent. Stylistically it is very smartly done, and the story is obviously compelling for all football fans.

I knew he grew up poor and was a player before managing Aberdeen and catapulting to what he became, but did not know he was such a prominent player in Scottish football. I didn't know the details of his home life, or the eventual transfer he got to Rangers and the subsequent falling out he had there that he blamed on sectarianism. Didn't know how close he came to death, either.

I know it might be unpopular to admit it on here, but I've always liked and admired Ferguson, even though he could be a complete word removed at times. But he's an incredible figure in the history of the game, and his early successes at Man Utd were one of the things I found compelling about English football. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Any suggestions for good single episode music documentaries? Need something to watch tonight. 

Full length?

Ahead of the bio film next year watch marley

Or if you have Disney summer of soul

For something different try 20 feet from stardom

Seeing as he died last week searching for sugarman

If you've got Netflix watch the teo killings of Sam cooke

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Full length?

Ahead of the bio film next year watch marley

Or if you have Disney summer of soul

For something different try 20 feet from stardom

Seeing as he died last week searching for sugarman

Thanks. Have watched summer of soul, Marley is a no, searching for sugarman has already been watched but will look into 20 ft from stardom. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Any suggestions for good single episode music documentaries? Need something to watch tonight. 

Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

American Masters: Inventing David Geffen

The Go-Go's

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our Lives

Buena Vista Social Club

Beastie Boys Story

What Happened, Miss Simone?

20 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

American Masters: Inventing David Geffen

The Go-Go's

Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of our Lives

Buena Vista Social Club

Beastie Boys Story

What Happened, Miss Simone?

That's a great list. Seen one or two but a good list to tick off. Thank you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Dio: Dreamers Never Die

Can't say I'm a fan of his music but very good documentary and he appeared to be a very decent guy.

The Beastie Boys doc is definitely worth watching too.

I'm currently waiting to watch the latest Syd Barrett Pink Floyd doc - Have You Got It Yet which looks excellent

Don't know what platform these are on but expect they'll be your bag! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Dio: Dreamers Never Die

Can't say I'm a fan of his music but very good documentary and he appeared to be a very decent guy.

The Beastie Boys doc is definitely worth watching too.

I'm currently waiting to watch the latest Syd Barrett Pink Floyd doc - Have You Got It Yet which looks excellent

Don't know what platform these are on but expect they'll be your bag! 

That Outlaw series was supposed to be out this year but never surfaced. I will watch it when it comes out though. 

• Like 1

I love a good documentary. I don't think I've ever watched one that made me shout at the telly as much as this one though. 

Long story short - the protagonist (conman) pretends to set up a high school with an elite Football (gridiron) programme. He brings in all these young kids with promises of glory and exposure and then does them dirty. 

I think it's only available on Max(HBO) at the moment but I'm sure there would be other ways to find it (edited to add - suggestions it might be on Sky/Now already). Highly recommended.

Edited by choffer
Additional info

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2023 at 17:53, maqroll said:

I know it might be unpopular to admit it on here, but I've always liked and admired Ferguson, even though he could be a complete word removed at times. But he's an incredible figure in the history of the game, and his early successes at Man Utd were one of the things I found compelling about English football. 

I get you.

I couldn't stand the guy while he was at Man Utd, never being able to beat them, always drawn in the FA Cup and the 'Fergy time' bullshit/antics etc.

However, since he's retired, i've grew to respect him over the last few years after learning more about him and his time in football and what he did in the game at management level.

A bit of a marmite character imo.

• Like 1

Â