Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 08/03/2023 at 23:38, tonyh29 said:

MH370 on Netflix was quite interesting shame it gave to much time to bat shit crazy theories 

Coming up for 9 years now , doubt we will ever find out the complete truth now 

Yeah,  obviously the doc would offer nothing conclusive but it almost felt about as believable as an episode of Ancient Aliens at times.

Why the hell isn't that guy that turns up in East Africa finding dozens of pieces of plane not under more scrutiny?

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Why the hell isn't that guy that turns up in East Africa finding dozens of pieces of plane not under more scrutiny?

The documentary was implying pretty heavily that he was paid by the Russians and the they were trying to cover it up.

On 18/03/2023 at 23:21, mjmooney said:

This BBC series on Frida Kahlo is superb. 

Just finished it myself.  Really good. The song that was playing over the footage of her funeral sounded just beautiful. I would love to know what it's called. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching The Triumph of Black America on iplayer. It's narrated by David Harewood, who, by the way, was a year below me in secondary school. There's a really beautiful moment where David is overcome after listening to Stevie Wonder's Living For the City in the very studio with the producer who was behind helping make that record one of the greatest songs put to vinyl. 

I've just finished the first episode and it didn't disappoint .

Edited by sheepyvillian

Watched an amazon documentary on the music of James bond, was OK, some interesting bits, too much jumping around and too much starting interesting snippets without then going deeper (kw)

What it did do, at a time when JB is at a low for me, is remind me just how much I **** love the series

It also quite happily spoiled the ending of the last film, which I thought was a bad film and I'm still shocked by the end but also just how the end got me

Tempted to do a run through of them all, got me excited for my 1 year old to be old enough to watch them with me

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Watched an amazon documentary on the music of James bond, was OK, some interesting bits, too much jumping around and too much starting interesting snippets without then going deeper (kw)

What it did do, at a time when JB is at a low for me, is remind me just how much I **** love the series

It also quite happily spoiled the ending of the last film, which I thought was a bad film and I'm still shocked by the end but also just how the end got me

Tempted to do a run through of them all, got me excited for my 1 year old to be old enough to watch them with me

Was the focus on the later, and in my opinion weaker, songs? Anything on the alternate Thunderball themes, e.g Johnny Cash?

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Was the focus on the later, and in my opinion weaker, songs? Anything on the alternate Thunderball themes, e.g Johnny Cash?

No there was a fair bit on Barry so early stuff, some good stuff on how the theme song is then integrated in to the overall score but missed out the best example of it which is you only live twice, can't remember cash but definitely a bit on radio heads song, it's made in association with no time to die so bit of Billie whats her face, no Madonna...

I didn't know Johnny Marr played the guitar on the last film, makes sense as he tours with zimmer

• Thanks 1

Living in Boston at the time of the marathon bombing, and being immersed in the chaos and trauma of those few days and the lockdown, manhunt etc. made me just want to bury the memory entirely. I moved out of state a year later and that helped. I didn't watch the Marky Mark movie about it. It seemed exploitative. I'm sure he donated some of the earnings, but it still made me feel uneasy.

Ten years on and last night I watched the HBO documentary on it and was quite moved by it. One woman in particular really got into me. She and her husband were just married and were runners themselves. They were full of vitality and happiness. They both had one leg blown off and went through extensive rehab. Her other leg took tremendous damage as well and she eventually had it amputated.

She took everything in stride and was philosophical about it all. She rehabbed with Iraq and Afghanistan vets with worse injuries and she acknowledged that and put her own injuries in perspective. But nonetheless she was a double amputee and despite her inner strength and positivity she couldn't avoid the brutal truth that her life was completely **** in terms of all the things she wanted, particularly children and running and everything else we all usually take for granted. She broke down at one point and it was a tough watch. Crazy how your life can turn on a dime like that through pure chance. It's kind of terrifying, and I suppose that's what the bombers were trying to accomplish. They wanted to terrify and they succeeded. From a terrorist's perspective it was a massive success. And they killed a cop for good measure. I guess you can take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't a much worse event that day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mark mark film without knowing a thing about the accuracy is pretty good tbf

I also thing the bombing makes for an interesting and disturbing thought, you can't stop that shit and yet its still the only event it happened at, we live our lives taking shoes off at airports etc and yet someone can walk down to a sporting event with tens of thousands of people in attendance where its uncontrollable but this is he only occurrence, it's like we've got it twisted... Or its all just what they want us to believe, to me it's a snapshot as to what terrorism is and to what it could be bit also as to what it's actually not

I'll give that a watch

• Like 1

Watching the "Waco" documentary on Netflix. 30 yrs ago, crazy how time flies. 

After watching the first episode, I couldn't help but think that aside from the obvious messianic, misleading nonsense from Koresh , there was also the  inflated ego of the ATF agent who made the ridiculous, critical decision to storm the place even when the element of surprise had been compromised, even though one of his colleagues had remarked that it was extremely dangerous to storm the building knowing that the Davidians were armed and anticipating the raid.

I was also slightly disturbed by the vindictive nature of the FBI's retaliation. They showed the same kind of attitude in their pursuit of John Gotti, granted Gotti was a cold, calculated gangster, but so personal and eager did the FBI become in their commitment to get a conviction on Gotti that they actually done a deal with a serial killer, who, as a reward for his cooperation, was given 5yrs for mass murder, and now has his very own podcast. You couldn't make it up

Edited by sheepyvillian

@maqroll Appreciate you. Thanks for sharing perspective and experience of the Boston bombing. Philosophy means love of wisdom and its great to see that this woman's outlooks resonate with you. It might sound simple or obvious to you but many people couldn't fathom that level of depth. I personally am inclined to think that the magic of alchemy had less to do with water to wine or lead to gold, and more to do with our greatest nightmares being turned into blessings. Amor fati, so to speak. I guess that's an entirely different conversation though. 

Equally thank you for the Ayahuasca post. I've not spent any time with native Americans outside of many hours of reading and listening to written and spoken ways of life and philosophical viewpoints. I've also not had the brew either. I have however had multiple experiences with DMT, and while my days are most probably done with that, it's been over a decade now, I am still keenly interested in it all. 

Fun fact, natives aren't the only beings to make use of the Ayahuasca vines. Jaguars are known to deliberately seek out the vine and hallucinate.

• Like 1

Â