Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 16/12/2023 at 18:53, sheepyvillian said:

Nearly at the end of "The Lost Eichmann Tapes" on iplayer. Regardless of the controversy surrounding Israel today, when listening to first - hand accounts of the atrocities committed by the Nazi's towards the Jews, one can not help but become almost traumatised that Human beings are capable of such sickening sadistic behaviour on such a massive scale. It really does beggar belief when you see dead bodies being bulldozed into a pit. 

That on my watch list , but just watched the episode of Rise of the Nazi’s about his capture and trial.

i found this interview with his executioner on the web which was an interesting read 

According to an official account, there were supposedly two people who would pull the lever simultaneously, so neither would know for sure by whose hand Eichmann died. But Nagar says he knows nothing about that. "I didn't see anyone else there. It was just me and Eichmann. I was standing a few feet from him, and looked him straight in the eye. He refused to have his face covered, and he was still wearing those trademark checkered slippers. Then I pulled the lever and he fell, dangling by the rope."

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

👀   👀   👀

eye opening and confirms to me, left, right, centre, never trust a politician regardless

Never had the chance of a fair trial. A complete stitch up…. 

Edited by imavillan

On 04/01/2024 at 20:01, foreveryoung said:

Postmaster, docu/program is a good watch. Absolutely devistating what the post office did to those people. The CEO who was at the heart of the scandal, actually got a CBE when she left her role for 'services to the post office, I mean I'm lost for words. Truely shocking the way it was all handled, trusting the Horizon computer system over Post clerks who had been in the job years. A few even had to pay the post office back money that wasn't even stolen, 10's and hundreds of thousands, losing there houses and livelyhoods, an never actually got it back. Compensation was pitance, where are the shit hot solicitors when you need them.

Just watched this documentary on the back of watching Mr Bates vs The Post Office.  Absolutely scandalous, amazing it's taken the tv programme to get the government talking about it.  Truly horrifying what people with power can do to a minority.

• Sad 1

I noticed some aloof comments in the "Aston Villa Crest" thread, about how we live in an era where people have "contempt for experts", which were verging on the apeal to authority fallacy. So I thought I'd post this here.

This amusing documentary is just one example of why sometimes so called experts draw contempt.  A self taught recluse from Bolton (who lived just down the road from my uncle), fooled the British Museum and antiquity dealers for years. Armed with supplies from B&Q and a garden shed, he became Britain's greatest ever forger.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 17:52, Humanoid said:

I noticed some aloof comments in the "Aston Villa Crest" thread, about how we live in an era where people have "contempt for experts", which were verging on the apeal to authority fallacy. So I thought I'd post this here.

This amusing documentary is just one example of why sometimes so called experts draw contempt.  A self taught recluse from Bolton (who lived just down the road from my uncle), fooled the British Museum and antiquity dealers for years. Armed with supplies from B&Q and a garden shed, he became Britain's greatest ever forger.

enjoyed that.

didn't know anything about it and don't remember it at all. Remarkable really.

There's an interesting little documentary on the BBC about nuclear proliferation and the Doomsday Clock in advance of it's setting announcement next week.

It's strange that at some point after the fall of the USSR, we just stopped thinking of nuclear war as a threat and yet those who think deeply about these things have us living in the most dangerous times since the Cuban missile crisis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001vgq5/nuclear-armageddon-how-close-are-we

It's very generously slanted toward a Western outlook, but it's a little sobering regardless.

14 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Is anyone watching JFK: One Day in America? I watched 9/11: One Day in America and thought it was one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, but haven't caught any of JFK yet.

I have and it was pretty good but not nearly as good as the 9/11 one imo

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This was good. A little bonkers. 

Absolutely crazy.

Spoiler

I really felt for the couple involved. The woman's strength and attitude was inspirational though. It was good to see the happy ending and that they were together and had started a family. The Police involved, aside from the female officer who helped them, should have been sacked. The way they handled it was disgusting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Absolutely crazy.

Reveal hidden contents

I really felt for the couple involved. The woman's strength and attitude was inspirational though. It was good to see the happy ending and that they were together and had started a family. The Police involved, aside from the female officer who helped them, should have been sacked. The way they handled it was disgusting.

So at the end of episode 2 I'm thinking the woman's story was that weird and the way she told it was not at all believable. I was convinced the pair of them were banged up making up such bollocks and were being filmed from a federal prison.

This is why I'll never work in the police force.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC2 iPlayer catch up 

Three episodes.

Not sure if this has been posted before but i watched this and thought it was gripping.

It should make any casual w/e drug user think about the harm and damage that's done before they get there little bit of w/e fun.......but it probably won't.

Edit; originally screened in Oct 23

spacer.png

Edited by imavillan

Get Gotti (Netflix)

The Death of Himmler (Mark Felton Productions on YouTube)

Exterminate all the Brutes (HBO)

All very good. Brutes is hard to watch but you can't look away.

I thought I would watch the Einsatzgruppen doc on  Netflix again. As difficult a watch as it can be, it really is an education in just how barbaric human - beings can be.

There's a lovely quote by the American prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials, who is approached by one of the Baba Yar perpetrators lawyer and told his client can't stand trial because he his sick, when asked what's wrong with him, the lawyer replies, "he has Parkinsons Disease", the lawyer asks what that is, and is told, "he shakes all the time", to which the prosecutor sharply replies,  "if I killed that many people, I'd be shaking all the time".

On 05/02/2024 at 05:21, maqroll said:

Get Gotti (Netflix)

The Death of Himmler (Mark Felton Productions on YouTube)

Exterminate all the Brutes (HBO)

All very good. Brutes is hard to watch but you can't look away.

Get Gotti is woeful imo. The smug Bruce Ming the FBI officer in charge of the case should hang his head in shame for being prepared to do a deal with a serial killer, Sammy the Rat Gravano, just so he could get a conviction on Gotti. 

A better watch is the HBO movie with the terrific Armand Assanti, who gives an astonishing performance as Gotti.

Â