Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

8 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Watched the Woodstock ‘99 documentary on Netflix.

I obviously knew it hadn’t gone well, I knew about the reports of sexual violence and the criminal damage.

But I had no idea just how chaotic it was, just how shambolic the organisation was. The tension that seemingly was there right from the start. 

Small point, I know that it will have been decided what song to play well in advance, but when there’s quite a big fire burning in the crowd during the Chilli Peppers closing set (because the organiser had the genius plan of handing out candles to a thousands of pissed off kids), they’ve asked you to try and help calm them down and you’re intent on playing a Hendrix song…maybe don’t do “Fire”. 

“Purple Haze” would have worked ok. 

Yeah, Limp Bizkit got much of the blame but the Chilis were at least as bad if not worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful documentary on iPlayer about a mixed race man adopted by Welsh speakers in Snowdonia, looking for his birth parents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001bn33

Having been raised Welsh by his adoptive white parents, Gerallt Wyn Jones finds the courage at last to go looking for his birth parents. In 1973, born black to a white unwed mother, Gerallt was given away when he was only a few weeks old.

Raised speaking Welsh in a very white north west Wales, he has always felt different from everyone else. Nearly 50 years on - and fearing he may have left it too late - he can’t hold back any longer from searching for the black father and heritage he’s never known, and for the young white mother who felt she had no choice but to give him away.

On 12/10/2022 at 17:35, coda said:

New Adam Curtis films on iplayer tomorrow 

Two episodes in and it’s really goo. Quite different to his previous works as there’s no narration but it’s quite engrossing. 

The style of Internet Historian's videos may not be for everyone, but not having known the story of Floyd Collins before watching this, I really enjoyed it. What a roller coaster. 

Might make for a 'nice' double bill with this other caving story 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2022 at 12:59, sheepyvillian said:

Started a doc on Netflix called Untold Crime & Penalties. This one's about some money guy who brought an ice hockey franchise for his son. It's hilarious, they're like the old Wimbledon of ice hockey and then some.

I saw that. Bananas.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Started that Simon Schema doc on BBCiplayer. So far so very good. The first episode is titled Truth and Democracy. I must tip my proverbial cap to Pussy Riot, brave, brave girls.

It is bloody fantastic. Ep 2 just as good, looking forward to Ep 3. 

• Like 1

Watching the 2nd episode of the Simon Schama documentary, interesting seeing that Cambridge debate between Buckley and Baldwin, what a vile presence he seemed, Buckley. I have always admired Baldwin, never wastes a word, beautiful, cutting oratory. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching the 2nd episode of the Simon Schama documentary, interesting seeing that Cambridge debate between Buckley and Baldwin, what a vile presence he seemed, Buckley. I have always admired Baldwin, never wastes a word, beautiful, cutting oratory. 

Indeed. Buckley was an odious prick, and Baldwin wiped the floor with him, imo. 

The whole thing is on YouTube: 

• Like 2

I bought the soundtrack of this in a second hand shop the other week. I'm by no means recommending this as I'm only starting to watch it but I do find these times rather interesting

Revoltion (1968) - a documentary by Jack O'Connel and released by United Artists

Dangerous Play on HBO, about the 1989 Copa Libertadores and the intimidation, bribery attempts and death threats against referees by Colombian drug cartels. Overlaps a bit with The Two Escobars, which is essential viewing. 

Solid film, some great video footage of insane match atmosphere and action. 

Some good interviews. The reenactments detract from it a bit, I've never been a fan of them.

But a good watch on the whole. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched the HBO documentary on dmx don't try to understand

It was pretty good and worth , its a year in his life type thing just before he died with some flash back stuff thrown in, deserves a more comprehensive one, his book is very good and there's a lot more to him

Â