Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

The main guy who arranged it looked a grade A bellend. He just didn’t give a shit, just wanted his profit.

Not watched it but you just described every professional and large scale music promoter that ever existed (I don't count the Eavises in this category)

Music Promoters are in it for the money, the love of music long left them or was never present. It's purely a numbers game. It's a badge of honour they all wear, that they never watch the band. (unless they do for 5 minutes so they can reference something if asked by the band)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not watched it but you just described every professional and large scale music promoter that ever existed (I don't count the Eavises in this category)

Music Promoters are in it for the money, the love of music long left them or was never present. It's purely a numbers game. It's a badge of honour they all wear, that they never watch the band. (unless they do for 5 minutes so they can reference something if asked by the band)

Yes I agree. In this case they did a Woodstock in ‘94 and it lost a lot of money. Woodstock ‘99 seemed to have been born purely to cut everything to the bone to make money and recover the ‘94 losses.

One of the shocking things they did was take everybody’s food, drinks, even water off them as they entered the site. 

Edited by Genie

Not on the scale of Woodstock 99, as thankfully 5 or 6 rapes didn't occur but in 2006 I went to the warped tour in LA and by Christ it showed me how well UK festivals are run. It was a one day festival thank god. For starters it was a dry festival, but in addition 100 degree heat, zero shade, one small vending kiosk for juice. One water point. No defined timetable, just an order of bands. Young girls being preyed on by older men, (in one case my daughter, didn't realise that her dad was stood next to her), ridiculous queues to get in, literally at least a mile. It was one off the list to see NOFX in the states but wouldn't repeat it. 

• Like 1

Blasted through all 3 episodes of the Woodstock doc in 1 sitting. Really good documentary with some great footage. Don't think I've seen so many people bouncing all at once as I did during the Korn & Limp Bizkit sets.

As said above the 2 organisers didn't give 2 shits about the safety and well being of the crowd.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Untold the girlfriend who didn't exist, the manti teo doc on Netflix is pretty crazy

I'm a chargers fan and didn't know anything about it, hard not to feel sorry for him, he was definitley a bust in the NFL, ruined his career

Maybe could have spent more time with deadspin talking about how no one was fact checking, I did believe that was their motive, also didn't explain much in the way of how his NFL career went or his personal life, he's currently a free agent without a team for the 2022 season so probably finished at 31 and married 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Untold the girlfriend who didn't exist, the manti teo doc on Netflix is pretty crazy

I'm a chargers fan and didn't know anything about it, hard not to feel sorry for him, he was definitley a bust in the NFL, ruined his career

Maybe could have spent more time with deadspin talking about how no one was fact checking, I did believe that was their motive, also didn't explain much in the way of how his NFL career went or his personal life, he's currently a free agent without a team for the 2022 season so probably finished at 31 and married 

Spoilers follow:

The sheer audacity of the catfish trying to garner sympathy was unbelievable. If you’d just seen their interview, you might assume it went on for a few months between them and then they freaked out and ended it of their own choice. But no, pretending to be a brother, faking an accident, faking DEATH including dying on the phone… then saying they’re still alive a day before the Heismann trophy ceremony, but not telling the truth. Turned a significant period of his life into a joke and potentially ruined a more successful career. I hope the reason the doc makers gave them so much time was to highlight how awful they are.

Manti‘s interview however - amazing guy and his willingness to forgive is something I don’t think I could ever do.

• Like 2

She says in the build up to Dr Phil something like I just wanted to tell thr truth -  the thing is the truth hangs her

Also thought that physically manti looked good, looked healthy, got those good looks that money brings... She looked a mess

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

She says in the build up to Dr Phil something like I just wanted to tell thr truth -  the thing is the truth hangs her

Also thought that physically manti looked good, looked healthy, got those good looks that money brings... She looked a mess

Even just agreeing to feature in the doc shows how much of a narcissist she is

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a ton of really, really good docs on the Swedish Television site svtplay.se.

Among the new ones is The scars of Ali Boulala. About the tragic story of skater Ali Boulala and it covers some new stuff that wasn't on the VICE documentary from a few years back. It's pretty grim but really interesting even if you have no background in skateboarding. 

Another one is the 4 part series about Swedish rock music export called Hård rock på export or Hard Rock on Export. This one is in Swedish so not sure how easy it is to find English subtitles. Well worth the watch thou since it's a pretty great gathering of bands that are featured. And they are all really nice guys and gals.

The site has loads of great docs but you'll need a VPN to watch it. And not sure if there is English subs.

I watched House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths a few weeks ago. Its about the family of 11 that were found bound, gagged and hung in their house in Delhi, 2018. It was a very bizarre situation for three generations of a family to end up like that. The truth of what happened makes it even stranger. 

Just spotted that every episode of KP: Story of a Genius is available on Youtube.

Start here: https://youtu.be/nx8XzgD4APQ

Our documentary series on Kevin Pietersen's headline-making career begins with Taking The Leap - a look at his upbringing in South Africa, his move to county cricket and his England debut. We'll be uploading all episodes of the series to our YouTube channel so make sure you subscribe and turn on notifications so you don't miss any uploads

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Just spotted that every episode of KP: Story of a Genius is available on Youtube.

Start here: https://youtu.be/nx8XzgD4APQ

Might be quite interesting, I quite like Kevin Pietersen. He’s done some amazing work to save and protect rhinos from poachers in SA. If you’re interested in that kind of thing he’s got an amazing podcast out called ‘Beast of Man’.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/kevin-pietersen-beast-of-man/id1462286114

• Like 1

Watched the Woodstock ‘99 documentary on Netflix.

I obviously knew it hadn’t gone well, I knew about the reports of sexual violence and the criminal damage.

But I had no idea just how chaotic it was, just how shambolic the organisation was. The tension that seemingly was there right from the start. 

Small point, I know that it will have been decided what song to play well in advance, but when there’s quite a big fire burning in the crowd during the Chilli Peppers closing set (because the organiser had the genius plan of handing out candles to a thousands of pissed off kids), they’ve asked you to try and help calm them down and you’re intent on playing a Hendrix song…maybe don’t do “Fire”. 

“Purple Haze” would have worked ok. 

Â