Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 03/02/2024 at 13:35, imavillan said:

BBC2 iPlayer catch up 

Three episodes.

Not sure if this has been posted before but i watched this and thought it was gripping.

It should make any casual w/e drug user think about the harm and damage that's done before they get there little bit of w/e fun.......but it probably won't.

Edit; originally screened in Oct 23

spacer.png

How the leader of the drug gang only  ended up with 20 odd months was laughable. Maybe he had extra curricular activities going on😉😉.

Aside from that, it was a decent watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Get Gotti is woeful imo. The smug Bruce Ming the FBI officer in charge of the case should hang his head in shame for being prepared to do a deal with a serial killer, Sammy the Rat Gravano, just so he could get a conviction on Gotti.

Woeful because of the conduct of the subjects, or a woefully crafted film? 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Take your pick.

Cops and robbers operating woefully is nothing new. Woefully incompetent, woefully corrupt, woefully diabolical, it's nothing new under the sun. And while the facts and details of the entire Gotti saga have been mostly in the public record, I thought as a documentary it was crafted better than most mafia documentaries I've seen, and as good or better than many other docs I've seen, regardless of subject matter. High production value, good pacing, good music (very important in documentaries), good interviews. 

Just now, maqroll said:

Cops and robbers operating woefully is nothing new. Woefully incompetent, woefully corrupt, woefully diabolical, it's nothing new under the sun. And while the facts and details of the entire Gotti saga have been mostly in the public record, I thought as a documentary it was crafted better than most mafia documentaries I've seen, and as good or better than many other docs I've seen, regardless of subject matter. High production value, good pacing, good music (very important in documentaries), good 

It was just a bunch of smug FBI agents slapping each other on the back for a job they considered well done. They failed to mention the amount of murders Gravano had commited. Honestly, I've seen more depth in a Crossroads episode. 

But that's opinions for you. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

I've recently gone on a Boston documentary spree.

"Murder in Boston" -A notorious case from the late 80's with interesting historical context, not sure if it made the papers in Britain.

"American Manhunt" -Marathon bombing, pretty well made, good interviews, slick production. For their dramatic reproduction scenes, instead of the typical corny style with corny looking acting, the actors looked like they were being recorded on realistic looking CCTV. And the faces of the actors playing the bombers were stylistically blurred. Both good choices, IMO. The main stuff is well known, but some of the law enforcement decision making and inter-agency drama isn't, as well as some personal testimony from victims. This is a better doc than the other one that's out there.

"This is a Robbery" -Art heist, arguably the biggest ever (if you exclude the British East India Company's exploits :D)

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I've recently gone on a Boston documentary spree.

"Murder in Boston" -A notorious case from the late 80's with interesting historical context, not sure if it made the papers in Britain.

"American Manhunt" -Marathon bombing, pretty well made, good interviews, slick production. For their dramatic reproduction scenes, instead of the typical corny style with corny looking acting, the actors looked like they were being recorded on realistic looking CCTV. And the faces of the actors playing the bombers were stylistically blurred. Both good choices, IMO. The main stuff is well known, but some of the law enforcement decision making and inter-agency drama isn't, as well as some personal testimony from victims. This is a better doc than the other one that's out there.

"This is a Robbery" -Art heist, arguably the biggest ever (if you exclude the British East India Company's exploits :D)

Have you seen Trial 4 on Netflix? About a young Black man from Boston who was jailed for killing a police officer. Now that's a documentary worth watching, an absolute emotional roller - coaster. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Have you seen Trial 4 on Netflix? About a young Black man from Boston who was jailed for killing a police officer. Now that's a documentary worth watching, an absolute emotional roller - coaster. 

No, actually! (I've just resubbed to Netflix after about a 2 year break)

I'll check it out.

On 11/02/2024 at 15:45, sheepyvillian said:

How the leader of the drug gang only  ended up with 20 odd months was laughable. Maybe he had extra curricular activities going on😉😉.

Aside from that, it was a decent watch.

Yes, it's ridiculous and kind of makes a mockery of things. It's no wonder there are so many willing to take there chances with the big money involved.

For anyone who watched and enjoyed Making a Murderer on Netflix theres a 9 part documentary that came out the back end of last year called Convicting a Murderer.

It shows the 'other side' of the case and not just from Steven Averys side.

Very intriguing and well worth a watch. As with most American shows it's probably 2/3 episodes too long and could be done in less, but thats just my take.

It's on DailyWire+ which is a States based subscription service but if you search about you can find it elsewhere. It's also on Cinema HD if you have that.

First 2 episodes are 'free' on YouTube

• Thanks 1

There needs to be a documentary about the guy from Cradley Heath that owned lions and tigers. After reading a short newspaper article about him, he sounded like he lived a really interesting life. Lew Foley was his name.

• Like 1

Heres one on BBC 4 tonight and available on iPlayer now i'll be watching.

Total Trust: Surveillance State
Storyville

spacer.png

A Storyville documentary that explores, in intimate detail, state surveillance and digital social control in China by following the experiences of two families and a journalist.

Zijuan Chen is fighting for the release of her imprisoned husband, human rights lawyer Weiping Chang, while trying to keep his memory alive for their son.

Wenzu Li and her newly freed husband, Quanzhang Wang, struggle against surveillance that is not only stopping him from being able to work but also affecting ordinary tasks like taking their son to school.

Journalist Sophie Xueqin Huang, a pivotal figure in bringing the Me Too movement to China, is at constant risk of arrest.

Chinese film-maker Jialing Zhang gives an exclusive and previously impossible intimate insight into the interior of China and tells a deeply disturbing story of how the state uses technology to control its citizens as well as propaganda to convince its people to trust it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The four part Netflix series on Bernie Madoff is good. The guy had the reputation as a genius, but he was just a regular schlub who lost all the money he invested for family and friends in the 1960's, but covered the losses with false returns, and so began his big grift. He was swindling people for about 40 years.

• Like 1

On American Nightmare-

Spoiler

They mentioned the FBI agent running the investigation had a conflict of interest and that it seemed like he might be protecting the "Ware Island Creeper".

And didn't she say that a second man showed up at the cabin and that the two men had a heated conversation? 

A very disturbing and weird case. 

But not nearly as disturbing and weird as "Lover, Stalker, Killer", also on Netflix. 

Truly diabolical.

Watching the Louis Theroux, Forbidden America. The episode with Nick J Fuentes. An ex gamer turned far - right extremist. Thinks women should be disenfranchised and believes "White People" found America. As Don King would say, "only in America".

Â